Pulling an All Nighter

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have a hard time just sleeping 4 hours I'm a all or nothing guy, I remember making those over night runs from Chicago to Toronto. Saw the sunrise many times. If I could get there by 2-3am life was a little better. :) Dispatch really pushes you in expediting from my past experience, they will give you your break but they want to wake you up and make sure you're spinning wheels tired or not. I generally just drove to the drop off location and slept there if I could. "Does it deliver direct?" was a frequent question I asked during the load negotiation process. There is no way I could get out there and do it again for .70-.80 cents a mile. My mind is programmed for a $1 per mile minimum :laughing: Even UPS Supply chains is paying .85 to run packages locally in a car in most major US cities.

Last edited:
Reactions: fastman_1

Fisherman

Active Expediter
Driver
Did ya get paid a bonus for getting it there under 11 hrs?

"By driving faster, I get less MPG."

:treadmill:

Of course not.

I’m getting a bit fed up with the company I’m with to be quite honest. But I’m viewing it all as a learning experience as this is still my first year in expediting. I’m strongly considering switching to a different company just to see if the grass is greener.

Reactions: Ragman

Fisherman

Active Expediter
Driver
In case any of you were wondering, it paid $0.89 per mile. I feel like that’s a fair rate for a daytime run, but not so much for an overnight run. Especially one where I had hardly any time to waste.

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Its Catch 22. If you are prepared with adequate sleep the call never comes. Then when you have been up 16 - 18 hours, the call comes for the all nighter. Pulling over for 20 min nap at 3 am worked best for me. Longer than 20 enters deep sleep zone that is difficult to recover from.
Demand has always been high for this service. Plants produce most products on the day shift. Receiver needs product for the next day production.

robin280

Seasoned Expediter
That's right. A 20 minute nap, in my bunk if possible, and a can of Monster and I am good for another 4-5 hours. I sleep whenever I get a chance. I usually don't have any trouble getting to sleep after a delivery. I listen to audiobooks while I drive. A good murder mystery makes the miles go by quicker.

sarniko

Seasoned Expediter
Driver
there Is numerous studies done on sleep deprivation. And it is obvious that it ages you faster and shortens your life which is the most important thing than anything else on this planet. for me all night run is simply not worth any money and I trying to avoid it as much as I can but unfortunately sometimes it is hard in this field. Even 3 hours of sleep deprivation make me feel like a zombie next day. And there is not such a thing sleep adoption we need to be sleeping sunset to sunrise. If you go against nurture you will gonna have bad consequences later on and no money in the world can fix it
Good luck night drives!

Reactions: Fisherman

Mailer

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Lol....I remembered my first one, 1200 miles load ran thru the night. So inhumane...

After about a year of good amount of repetitions. With well planned sleep and rest, it was doable. I think the more often you do and with well planned rest, the body adjust.

When I first started driving the TT, I have always wonder how those truckers ran thru the night, Now I get it.

Reactions: Worn Out Manager

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
Lol....I remembered my first one, 1200 miles load ran thru the night. So inhumane...

After about a year of good amount of repetitions. With well planned sleep and rest, it was doable. I think the more often you do and with well planned rest, the body adjust.

When I first started driving the TT, I have always wonder how those truckers ran thru the night, Now I get it.
I have no problem with all night drives. Easy to handle - "Honey, it's your turn to drive"

Sent from my moto z3 using EO Forums mobile app