Pulling an All Nighter

Fisherman

Active Expediter
Driver
How often do you guys have to pull all night runs? And how do you feel about them?

I would say I do about 1 a week on average, and I despise them. Obviously staying up until the sun rises is a pain in the a$$, but the main thing I hate about it is that it isn't as profitable as day time runs for 2 reasons:

1) I have to drive faster because I'm exhausted and want to finish the run before I fall asleep. By driving faster, I get less MPG.
2) I then have to sleep most of the day away the next day, which often causes me to lose out on loads that day.

If I could turn down all night runs, I would. But I feel that I would be leaving too much money on the table by doing so.

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yes , I like Driving during the Daylight hours the Best , but too many Nutcake ,Fruitloop , Rate Suckering , Bottom Dwelling are running the daytime loads for 70 cents or less . So I am Driving with the Lights on ..

" LOAD 1 "

Last edited:

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
At least a couple of times a month or more. Just did one on Monday. Love/hate thing with them. Love the night life, but hate having my sleep screwed up more then usual :rolleyes:

Depending on how I feel or the length of the trip, sometimes I will drive faster. Which for me, means I'm doing the speed limit :smiley_driving:

D1964

Rookie Expediter
Driver
How often do you guys have to pull all night runs? And how do you feel about them?

I would say I do about 1 a week on average, and I despise them. Obviously staying up until the sun rises is a pain in the a$$, but the main thing I hate about it is that it isn't as profitable as day time runs for 2 reasons:

1) I have to drive faster because I'm exhausted and want to finish the run before I fall asleep. By driving faster, I get less MPG.
2) I then have to sleep most of the day away the next day, which often causes me to lose out on loads that day.

If I could turn down all night runs, I would. But I feel that I would be leaving too much money on the table by doing so.
The best runs are coming later afternoon, after cheap people grabbed all the first loads, so before you ready to go, is late and you have to drive all night .Here is why team driving is the best, my hubby drives and I sleep)))

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It's simply part of the program. A plant 600 mi away needs something first thing in the morning ... that's you! That's how we make a living. It's an opportunity. Don't want it? Pass on it, someone else will take it.

Nighttime driving has its benefits. Less traffic for one.

My body has adapted, I could do an overnight anytime. As I'm getting a little older, the recovery is getting harder.

Rags is right ... don't drive faster when you're exhausted. It's not worth it. Rule #1 - make sure you return home safe!

Reactions: Moot and Hummer53

Fisherman

Active Expediter
Driver
Speak of the devil.

Shortly after I posted this thread, I got another overnight run. Pick up at 9 PM. Have to go about 500 miles and deliver it by 7 AM.

That’s 2 all nighters in one week. I swear my dispatch is trying to kill me...

Last edited:
Reactions: RoadTime

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Speak of the devil.

Shortly after I posted this thread, I got another overnight run. Pick up at 9 PM. Have to go about 500 miles and deliver it by 7 AM.

Remember to get some rest if you get fatigued.

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Remember to get some rest if you get fatigued.

It's tough on a 500 mi run. They're isn't really enough time built into a run of that distance. Best hope is to get to the delivery early and nod off for a bit before they open.

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Speak of the devil.

Hmm .....
500 ÷ 45 = 11 hrs
500 ÷ 50 = 10 hrs

I cannot understand why more people are agreeing to run faster transit times. I understand in this case you wanna get it over with.

I operate at a different pace ..

Regarding dispatch ... Can you pass on a load?

Reactions: Hummer53

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It's tough on a 500 mi run. They're isn't really enough time built into a run of that distance. Best hope is to get to the delivery early and nod off for a bit before they open.
Oh, i kjow that. I was hoping the OP would catch my sarcasm. In his first post he stated he runs faster when he gets exhausted.