Proposed text banning for Hazmat drivers

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I thought this was already a ruling on this but apparently not.

From the AP

WASHINGTON – Targeting distractions behind the wheel, the Obama administration proposed Tuesday to bar truck drivers from sending text messages while hauling hazardous materials.

The requirements would complement separate rules being finalized by the Transportation Department that prohibit commercial bus and truck drivers from sending text messages on the job and restrict train operators from using cell phones and mobile devices on duty.

Here is another scary quote;

"We are going to do everything we can to put an end to distracted driving and save lives," LaHood said before the daylong meeting.

See to me this is an issue which is not being addressed right. Navigation units, smart phones, iPads, in-dash all in one computer systems - all are distractions, more so for the people who are not even close to being good drivers. Most who are on the road go through a licensing process fit for a chimp to pass and get a license.

The solution is to take all of it seriously.

The article link - Proposal bans texting by haz-mat truck drivers

CharlesD

Expert Expediter
If something is too dangerous to do behind the wheel, then just ban it for ALL moving vehicles, instead of singling out certain types of vehicles for special attention. That seems more like just pandering to certain audiences to me.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
I agree texting should be banned for all vehicles including motorcycles and mopeds(I've seen a person texting while on a motorcycle:eek:)

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I agree texting should be banned for all vehicles including motorcycles and mopeds(I've seen a person texting while on a motorcycle:eek:)

Saw a guy texting on a bicycle. Dam near got ran over crossing a WM parking lot.

arrbsthw

Expert Expediter
I thought as each state banned texting, it applied to everyone, I guess us truckers were excluded until now.. LOL..
now if they could just get the person in the car in front of me on the highway the other day to stop texting.. that would be great!

shadow7663

Expert Expediter
Phone manufactures should put some kind of software on these devices somewhat gps enabled that if the phone is moving faster than 5mph it will automatically disable all text/email features of the phone.

I know it would not seem right if your a passenger in the vehicle but you'll get over it. Just imagine what you did in a car before they even had texting! Some of you probobly shouldnt answer this...lol

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
I thought as each state banned texting, it applied to everyone, I guess us truckers were excluded until now.. LOL..
now if they could just get the person in the car in front of me on the highway the other day to stop texting.. that would be great!

Hey, that was me!:p I was texting the police about the guy in front of me that was reading his newspaper! :eek:

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Phone manufactures should put some kind of software on these devices somewhat gps enabled that if the phone is moving faster than 5mph it will automatically disable all text/email features of the phone.

I know it would not seem right if your a passenger in the vehicle but you'll get over it. Just imagine what you did in a car before they even had texting! Some of you probobly shouldnt answer this...lol

I wrote to my congressman requesting this very thing. The only result was tons of spam generated by his office and his party.

CharlesD

Expert Expediter
I'm probably not the only one who just doesn't get texting anyway. I will send maybe 2 or 3 in an entire week, and that's usually to my wife if she keeps calling me when I'm on the phone with a broker or a driver.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I don't text while driving, but I've found that a text msg will often go through when the signal is too weak to make a call.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
It's much easier to talk than type,texting just sux in a moving vehicle.As far as the QC,they send me a message,I justr call in,can do that hands free

moose

Veteran Expediter
There's absolutely no rezone for that proposal .
if texting while driving is dengeruse ,then they need to ban all texitnig while driving ,regardless of the driver or the load .
if all ,they need to come up with at least one study ,showing that HM haulers are more likely to be involved in an accident ,and that texting was the rezone for those accidents .
all this is ,is playing politics ,showing average Joe's that they doing something to improve safety ,in a way that will not effect car drivers at all . when in fact ,all they do is encouraging safe experience drivers off the road. you know ,the ones that get paid better ,to make room for low paid drivers .
beside , money collected from tickets need to go only for safety improvements on the hwy's .

greg334

Veteran Expediter
A very good solution is this; just tell the phone carriers that texting is no longer allowed as a service and that's that.

Yesterday, the administration ripped into the car companies who have been promoting all these great features for the driver, like having a PC in your car. They were not to happy to realize that after the messiah had a hand in promoting this technology in his 'rants' that it is actually more dangerous than what's going on.

You got to ask yourself this, why is it the feds are involved with safety in the first place? Shouldn't they not be involved?