Promaster box truck

GuyUpNorth

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I saw this box truck at the J in Dallas. It looks like it has a roof top sleeper and a canvas box. Seems like with the canvas box you could keep the weight way down and also fit a variety of oddball sized freight. Similiar to the yellow Penske's only legal. Anyone have any experience with these? Seems like a smart idea to me.

Attachments

• 20160609_113304.jpg
    20160609_113304.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 97
Reactions: brokcanadian

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Saw one at last year's Expo. You hafta step on your passenger seat and pull yourself up into the sleeper. What if you're tired, achy or just fluffy like me? What if you remove your seat to make room for a fridge, microwave, whatever? You don't want to be standing on your appliances to crawl up into the sleeper.

Reactions: Michael_H

GuyUpNorth

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Well, sounds like you would get a nice upper body workout pulling yourself up into it for sure.

Last edited:
Reactions: brokcanadian

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If you like sleeping in a little tiny coffin go for it. Also how do you heat and cool the bunk? I'm thinking it didn't work that great because some of their newer trucks are normal cube vans or just large vans. Never excited me when I saw it at the expo and still doesnt.

Reactions: scottm4211

GuyUpNorth

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
If you like sleeping in a little tiny coffin go for it. Also how do you heat and cool the bunk?I'm thinking it didn't work that great because some of their newer trucks are normal cube vans or just large vans. Never excited me when I saw it at the expo and still doesnt.
I was thinking more along the lines of revenue enhancement with the large and lightweight box, however, driver comfort also has to factor into the equation for sure. It does look like you would be sleeping in a first generation space capsule with no room for sitting up or tossing around at all.

ajakapari

Expert Expediter
If that's true why have sprinters and other brands been huge sellers for years there?
It's true. All the small straights there that are used for long hauls look like that...
Sprinters , Iveko , Fiats like that in the picture , VWs , Citruen... Etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: xiggi

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I saw this box truck at the J in Dallas. It looks like it has a roof top sleeper and a canvas box. Seems like with the canvas box you could keep the weight way down and also fit a variety of oddball sized freight. Similiar to the yellow Penske's only legal. Anyone have any experience with these? Seems like a smart idea to me.
That's awesome, thanks for posting it! Never seen one...as for space I guess you guys have never been in an Alumnibunk e350 ford with the 24" sleeper...its very easy to heat and cool a small space, down to -41 I didn't idle

It does look more suited to expedite flatbed work if there is such a thing

jaxonviking

Expert Expediter
Sleeper reminds me of those found on pickup campers. Those were fun when I was a kid! Don't think I'd want one now though. In cold weather I often use a sleeping bag, and that would be a real pain to crawl into in such a tiny space. No air circulation in summer either.

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Just saw one of those in Joplin yesterday. It looked bigger in person than in the photo. Still small though

robh2

Veteran Expediter
Saw one in Italy yesterday, can't post pic in EO app. Never tried before, so not sure of its allowed in app.

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Saw one in Italy yesterday, can't post pic in EO app. Never tried before, so not sure of its allowed in app.
On Android EO App, hit the menu in the top right corner, select reply. Then hit menu again and select attach picture. Not sure about iPhone app. Hope that helps.

Reactions: robh2 and Turtle

sarniko

Seasoned Expediter
Driver
I was driving this for that company and I switched to the van, you might get more loads as it takes 6000lb and roof goes to the 12 ft. i got used to that sleeper soon and it was continent in winter as it was heated by espar. i do not know in hot summer as it had no cooling but at night it might get cooler, downside it that it takes at least more than hour to unhook all the tent and remove rails to get loads in and out. it is ll aluminum and it gets dirty and hot. you need to watch the Bridges and trees. you can not drive it passenger only places. on highway speeds 70+ it becomes unstable. needs to be refilled every 150 miles. when loaded you have to be very careful on turns and exits. the loads are regular sizes and shapes. it was extra work for me and the owner was paying same rates as the van. i gave it back and got van.

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I was driving this for that company and I switched to the van, you might get more loads as it takes 6000lb and roof goes to the 12 ft. i got used to that sleeper soon and it was continent in winter as it was heated by espar. i do not know in hot summer as it had no cooling but at night it might get cooler, downside it that it takes at least more than hour to unhook all the tent and remove rails to get loads in and out. it is ll aluminum and it gets dirty and hot. you need to watch the Bridges and trees. you can not drive it passenger only places. on highway speeds 70+ it becomes unstable. needs to be refilled every 150 miles. when loaded you have to be very careful on turns and exits. the loads are regular sizes and shapes. it was extra work for me and the owner was paying same rates as the van. i gave it back and got van.

Can haul 6000 lbs? I know that the curtain side weighs less, but I guarantee that vehicle weighs more that 4000 lbs.