Progressive Insurance goes up again !!!!

Polish_Drive

Rookie Expediter
If anyone was insured with Northland insurance who is based out of MN. PLS let me know if they are OK.

I did check BBB and their rating is A+

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
If anyone was insured with Northland insurance who is based out of MN. PLS let me know if they are OK.

I did check BBB and their rating is A+
I suppose if you ever have a claim you'll find out the hard way, how easy or hard you have to chase them down to get fixed and/or paid.....apparently CIS"s strong point is they really chase down the insurance companies kind of an enforcer role.... to make sure you the customer gets served in a timely manner...

Polish_Drive

Rookie Expediter
I suppose if you ever have a claim you'll find out the hard way, how easy or hard you have to chase them down to get fixed and/or paid.....apparently CIS"s strong point is they really chase down the insurance companies kind of an enforcer role.... to make sure you the customer gets served in a timely manner...

I like CIS. So Northland is $1300 less then progressive from CIS per year. You would not recommend me switching, right. See, I dont know If I should worry because of higher insurance costs these days. Insurance is tax deductible.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I like CIS. So Northland is $1300 less then progressive from CIS per year. You would not recommend me switching, right. See, I dont know If I should worry because of higher insurance costs these days. Insurance is tax deductible.

The BIG unknown is....IF you have a claim....How big a task is it going to be to get paid...or how long till an appraisal to get you fixed?.....Time is money out here....will you really save $1300 or will it be eaten up by downtime?.....

Polish_Drive

Rookie Expediter
The BIG unknown is....IF you have a claim....How big a task is it going to be to get paid...or how long till an appraisal to get you fixed?.....Time is money out here....will you really save $1300 or will it be eaten up by downtime?.....

I like the way you think sir. Thx a lot

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner

No need to complicate the simple. The biggest question to ask when comparing insurance companies are whether the needed coverages are the same? A cheaper policy may be cheaper because they are covering less, are more restrictive in their underwriting, or provide less service. In order to shop correctly, you need that information.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
No need to complicate the simple. The biggest question to ask when comparing insurance companies are whether the needed coverages are the same? A cheaper policy may be cheaper because they are covering less, are more restrictive in their underwriting, or provide less service. In order to shop correctly, you need that information.
There is usually a reason it is cheaper....they MIGHT be legitimately cheaper for good reasons....lower overhead costs....or just very poor service...you want to chance that in your business?

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
What are saying here??

what i am saying is that we know that CIS, which is progressive ins. is good and even better because of john & shelley. we know nothing of the ins company you mentioned and silly as it may sound, we would be willing to pay the extra money a year to stay with CIS cause we know what will happen if we have an issue. we put alot of value in trust and customer service and the commitment we get from them.

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
Downtime is potentially the absolute highest expense in this industry, IMO.
Some DT is by choice. Undesired downtime can eliminate lots if profit to just catch up.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Or considerably longer. We T boned a drunk in Michigan and the truck was down for over two months. Can a individual carry those down costs? And in Michigan for example, that is a "no fault state". You aren't collecting a penny for downtime from the at fault driver. You may get something of a daily allowance if and only if you have it as coverage on your own policy. Many don't even offer it.
Motel, travel costs, replacement of items not covered, and the list goes on.
Now take those costs, and factor your fixed ones like truck payment if you have it, insurance, QC charges, and all those costs, plus whatever your actually monthly living expenses. You house payment, car payment, food you name it keeps coming.
"Knowing those costs & variables". Remember me saying that. Can you afford you insurance deductible, plus your truck costs (they keep coming) plus your living expenses, for who knows how many months. Some repairs can go well into months. This is why a single straight truck operator should have at least 10 to 20k in reserve just for this type of event. A good many of these scenerio have put some good folks out of business.

Last edited:

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner

the enforcer role is rite. ive seen the crazed look in shelleys eyes, i wouldnt mess with her !! LOL

Polish_Drive

Rookie Expediter
Thank You for all the replies. It looks like CIS is a keeper :) Ive only been with them for only 3 years with no claim yet ( knock on the wood )