President O'Biden

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Perhaps some clarification is needed then, about which three are being referred to in the above quote.

I suspect we can remove Rep. Waters from the mix ... since her (quoted) comments were made back in 2018.

And I doubt that Vice-President Harris' comments qualify either ... since 1. I believe the (supposed) quote in the meme is not actually what she said ... but rather a paraphrase instead, and 2. she made her comments during an appearance with Stephen Colbert's show ... and generally those shows are taped for later rebroadcast ... so it seems rather doubtful that it was on "tv live" ...

I am quite curious though ... what exactly in "Protestors should not let up" is "hate filled" ?
Regarding Ms.Waters comments, we are being told by some that the Shampeachment trial of Trump is looking at comments he made "that go back years". So there is that. :wink:
Harris' comments were made after a summer of protests, malicious destruction, looting, and murders. The last three items I listed went with the territory with the protests. So telling protesters "not to let up" is signalling to them in a way that it's ok do the rest.

Reactions: danthewolf00

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Trump wearing a mask or not had zero effect on whether or not I wore a mask. I suspect I'm not unique in that. I also suspect that there are even fewer Democrats and other assorted anti Trumpers who refused to wear masks simply because Trump didn't wear or promote them. I also know that I've never thought, even once, "President Biden says we should wear masks. So I should wear a mask. Maybe two."

But again, even if Trump had been the Don King of mask promotion, it would have had zero effect on controlling the pandemic, as is plainly evident in how countries with universal mask adoption also failed to control the pandemic.

About 95% of the time I wear an N95 mask, and it's not because Dr Fauci told me not to.

Look at how many people were ready to do trumps dirty work at the capital last month, if he would have been a pro masker his followers would have been more willing to accept wearing a mask I believe.

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

Reactions: RLENT

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Look at how many people were ready to do trumps dirty work at the capital last month, if he would have been a pro masker his followers would have been more willing to accept wearing a mask I believe.

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums
Possibly. But liberty and personal freedom runs deep within conservatives, especially Trumpian conservatives.

But assuming your flawed setup premise is correct, that people did the dirty work he commanded them to do, only a fraction of those people did the dirty work. The same fraction wearing masks would be statistically insignificant. But even if 100% of his supporters, including the causal supporters, wore masks, it still wouldn't have done anything to manage or control the pandemic.

Trump (and every other world leader) could have done any number of things differently, but so far no one can point to anything credible that should have been done which would have had any appreciable difference in controlling the pandemic.

Masks? Not credible, because countries with better than 95% mask adoption failed utterly to control the pandemic.

Better contact tracing? Nope. Contact tracing is only effective in small populations and geographical areas, small cities and mostly rural counties, and that is dependent on people not entering or leaving the geographical area. Densely populated areas, like NYC, contact tracing is fruitless for controlling an epidemic, much less a pandemic. While contact tracing can provide useful information, it is still largely nothing more than closing the barn doors after the horses have gotten out.

Massive testing? Nope. People can test negative and one hour later contract the virus. Testing can help, short term, but it won't control a pandemic.

Reactions: Pilgrim

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Key word "outset".

Yup, sure is ... question is, why after it was learned the virus was transmissible by air, was Trump not calling for mask wearing at every opportunity, issuing a mask mandate, and modeling good behavior ?

#completefailureofleadership

:tearsofjoy:

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Regarding Ms.Waters comments, we are being told by some that the Shampeachment trial of Trump is looking at comments he made "that go back years". So there is that. :wink:

True.

However, the difference is, is that Trump has had a tendency to glorify, normalize, and call for violence ... repeatedly ...

Harris' comments were made after a summer of protests,

Which were largely peaceful.

malicious destruction, looting, and murders.

Which she also addressed and condemned in her comments.

OTOH, Trump told the violent mob he loved them ... and that they were "special" (the latter no doubt being true, just not in the way he or they might imagine ... :tearsofjoy: )

The last three items I listed went with the territory with the protests. So telling protesters "not to let up" is signalling to them in a way that it's ok do the rest.

Nope - that's conflating two separate and very different things.

To get there requires one to willfully ignore her condemnations of the malicious destruction, looting, and murders.

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
True.

However, the difference is, is that Trump has had a tendency to glorify, normalize, and call for violence ... repeatedly ...

OTOH, Trump told the violent mob he loved them ... and that they were "special" (the latter no doubt being true, just not in the way he or they might imagine ... :tearsofjoy: )

To get there requires one to willfully ignore her condemnations of the malicious destruction, looting, and murders.
What percentage of the crowd that day would you say constituted the mob?

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
True.

And many Dem politicians over the last summer appeased the violence quite often. Rarely criticized it and some said "it's just property". No biggie.

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Yup, sure is ... question is, why after it was learned the virus was transmissible by air, was Trump not calling for mask wearing at every opportunity, issuing a mask mandate, and modeling good behavior ?

#completefailureofleadership

:tearsofjoy:
Fauci said they're not effective during a Pandemic. It's due to the small droplets that escape from the mask and stay in the air for awhile. Now you have everyone touching their face more. Constantly adjusting it because glasses steaming up, taking it off, putting it back on, taking it off to drink some water. Grabbing the dirty outside of it with unclean hands, putting dirty mask back on after cramming it in your pocket. Wearing it wrong like below your nose so you can breathe. A lot of issues with mask wearing.

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It's "just property". Someone's business that's all.
That's the way things are resolved in large urban areas of Blue states. Remember when the mayor of Baltimore literally gave rioters the OK to trash a large part of the city during the Freddie Gray riots?

Stephanie Rawlings-Blake: "We also gave those who wish to destroy space to do that as well". Obama was president at the time.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
And many Dem politicians over the last summer appeased the violence quite often.

That's an opinion ... which many likely disagree with.

Rarely criticized it and some said "it's just property".

That's also an opinion ("Rarely criticized") ... which some might disagree with.

But to their point, which is more important: an individual human life or property ?

No biggie.

Doubtful that any Dem politician actually said that.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Thank goodness they were mostly peaceful so there was only 2 Billion dollars of peaceful damage.

If they hadn't been, the property damage - and the loss of life - would have probably been far, far worse.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
That's an opinion ... which many likely disagree with.
No, it's a fact. And it's verifiable. There are many Dems (with "many" meaning in this case "more than two," because more than zero is far too many) literally appeasing the violence on audio and video. Some Dems even went so far at appeasement to help fund bail for those who engaged in the violence.

Last edited:
Reactions: muttly

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
That's the way things are resolved in large urban areas of Blue states. Remember when the mayor of Baltimore literally gave rioters the OK to trash a large part of the city during the Freddie Gray riots?

Stephanie Rawlings-Blake: "We also gave those who wish to destroy space to do that as well". Obama was president at the time.
Right, so some are making the argument (since Trump's speech didn't actually incite a riot) that it was his previous comments and statements from months and even years that lit the flame of the riot.(shifting goalposts) So in using that argument, how do we know that the comments of the Baltimore mayor didn't light the flames of the capitol riot? How do we know that comments from Chuck Schumer who said about two Justices " you won't know what hit you" didn't light the flame? Or the comments from Nancy Pelosi who called personnell storm troopers or didn't condemn in strong terms the property damage and condoned the destruction of monuments? How do we know that her appeasement didn't light the flames of the riot? Or Maxine Waters "create a crowd" comments when referring to Trump cabinet members. How do we know that didn't light the flame?
Or Cory Booker saying to get in someone's face. That could of lit the flame. Or the countless statements from leaders that didn't condemn the riots over the past summer and instead allowed some of them to take over a police department and parts of a city area. How do we know all this appeasement didn't tell a certain segment of citizens that it's ok to riot and take over buildings?

Reactions: Turtle and Pilgrim