Prepaid WiFi and MiFi

RoadDawgg

Expert Expediter
I'm trying to figure out if I should get something like that or just depend on the (sometimes less than fantastic) wifi hubs at truckstops. I'm really hoping to find a prepaid internet thing so that when I'm places that don't have any service at all, I can (theoretically) still have interweb.

I know of one option out there, I see it for sale at truckstops. I think it maxes out at like 500mb of bandwidth for $75 a month. Not sure that's gonna be enough for me to watch streaming video on netflix.

Anyone use one of these, and can recommend? Or one of those personal hubs? The thingy that allows you to be your own hotspot?

Thanks!
Christopher

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I got tired of maybe/maybe-not WiFi at truckstops, and none at Walmarts and other places, and just went with an Aircard (at Verizon). I can use it while waiting to get loaded or unloaded, and pretty much anywhere else I am at the time. They have two options for Mobile Broadband (4G), the 5 GB for $50, and 10GB for $80.

If you're a streaming video junky, a one hour show is 350-400 MB, so get a bandwidth cap that fits your GB needs.

ChrisGa23

Expert Expediter
You can also attach your phone to your computer and have internet. That's what I use on my laptop. It works on all smart phones and it may work on non smart phones.

But if your gonna stream movies doing this probably isn't best of idea. Most company's frown on it so I been told.

500 mb a month won't be enough for streaming movies. Most movies are close to 1 GB.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I don't do a lot of streaming, but I do download one 1-hour TV show and three half-hour shows per week. That's 3.5 gigs right there. I both tether and use the Aircard, and still end up right at 5 GB on each. :D

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
We don't stream anything and have only once used more than our 5GB per month. That is when Mrs. Layoutshooter decided to use "Carbonite" for back up. We no longer use it unless we are on "free" internet, like motels etc.

JimmyB

Seasoned Expediter
Truckstop WiFi is sketchy at best and with a 5GB limit on MiFi you can find yourself creeping up on that quite quickly.

I switched to the HTC Evo with comes with WiFi and is Unlimited for only $30.00 / month.
Of course with the evo you are also paying that $10.00 / month premium service fee.

The flip side of the Evo or other 4G phone that has the Unlimited package is when you find yourself in a major city you can find speeds around 1.5Mbps or higher. The 4G speeds are still not yet "easy" to come by. Even in cities where 4G is available (Kansas City, MO / Nashville, TN etc.) sitting at the truck stops more times than not will put you just outside of 4G reach.

fortwayne

Not a Member
I hook my droid up to my laptop and found no difference between going that route or an aircard. Verizon told me it uses the same towers so there will be no difference in speed, features or performance....I save 80 bucks each month this way.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I hook my droid up to my laptop and found no difference between going that route or an aircard. Verizon told me it uses the same towers so there will be no difference in speed, features or performance....I save 80 bucks each month this way.
A couple of things that should be pointed out. One is, the Verizon Terms of Service specifically states that you cannot tether the phone to a laptop for Internet access (without paying the additional Mobile Broadband fee of $60), so doing so could be a problem. Like, the built-in tether options on the Droid lets you tether, but it'll make you buy a data plan to do it. I tether using PDANet, and routinely hit 4-5 GB, but it's something to keep in mind in case they ever decide to clamp down on tethering in that manner. Probably as long as you stay near 5GB and don't blatantly abuse it, they won't say anything. Never said anything to me yet, anyway.

Also, an Aircard (or MiFi) is slightly faster than a tether, simply because the data transfer via the Aricard is hardware, and via the tethered Droid it's via a software translation between the Droid and the laptop. It's not normally much of a difference, usually not noticeable, but I have seen the difference be 1Mbit on the phone versus 1.5 Mbit via the Aircard. Downloading directly to the Droid would be just as fast as the Aircard, but that software translation can slow things down, especially with large data transfers.

RoadDawgg

Expert Expediter
Wow. This is good stuff.

I can't tether, I have a piddly old normal phone, on a pre-paid network (Straighttalk). Do you have to indenture yourself to Verizon for their broadband or their Evo jobby, or is there a pre-paid option for those?

Thanks!
Christopher

matlack

Expert Expediter

We used to subscribe to the Boingo service for $9.95 a month

and it was good for wifi hotspots like McDonald's, but when

McDonald's started offering free wifi we cancelled it.

We purchased an external amplified USB antenna G-Sky from

EBay for about $30 and it will usually pickup the wifi signal from

McDonald's or nearby hotels up to a block away from the truck.

The signal strength will vary or drop while using a microwave

oven in the truck.

The antenna unit connects to the USB port and has a cable

that allows the antenna to be placed on the dashboard or near

a window to gain better reception.

Here are some reviews for those type of antennas;

Alfa Long Range WiFi Adapter Review | TheInfoMine

When connected to wifi we are able to send and receive faxes

or make free phone calls through MagicJack from inside the

truck.

MagicJack has a USB plug on one end and a phone jack on the

other.

It sells for about $30 from Radio Shack and includes the first

year of phone services like voicemail and call forwarding, free

US long distance,etc.

The downside of MagicJack is the echo and sound distortion if

Internet Explorer is running, but once IE is closed it works well.

Here are some reviews for MagicJack;

magicJack - Official Website - Never Pay a Monthly Phone Bill Again!

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Yeah, Verizon now has prepaid data plans for smartphones, like the Droid. You'll pay through the nose for it, though.
100 MB $15 Day
300 MB $30 Week
1 GB $50 Month
5 GB $80 Month

You'll also pay double for the phone for prepaid, versus a 2 year contract. If you decide to be indentured for two years, and you want to cancel the contract after a year, the early cancellation fee ends up being far less than than you'll pay for prepaid over the same time frame. For a phone with a contract, the unlimited data plan is $30 a month additional.

If you're going to get a Verizon phone to tether, might as well wait a month or three for the 4G phones to come out. Otherwise, you can get an aircard at 5GB for $50, or 10 GB for $80 for a 2 year contract.

zero3nine

Veteran Expediter
I have unlimited everything on my Droid 2 Global from Verizon. My plan has a total of 3 smart phones, 2 are Droids and 1 crackberry. $180 a month total.

Works great almost everywhere. Something is wrong with most of Kentucky for some reason.

I tether to the laptop and watch movies all the time. FAX, email etc...

fired at you from my Droideka

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have unlimited everything on my Droid 2 Global from Verizon. My plan has a total of 3 smart phones, 2 are Droids and 1 crackberry. $180 a month total.

Works great almost everywhere. Something is wrong with most of Kentucky for some reason.

I tether to the laptop and watch movies all the time. FAX, email etc...

fired at you from my Droideka

That's a great plan. We get ripped off up here. :mad:

Freightdawg

Expert Expediter

Can you say : in the sticks?

Monty

Expert Expediter
I have used Verizon air cards for many, many years. Recently I purchased a "mi-fi", the plan with it is $59.00 for 10 g

It works quite well, and is still on the old 3G service network.

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
I'm trying to figure out if I should get something like that or just depend on the (sometimes less than fantastic) wifi hubs at truckstops. I'm really hoping to find a prepaid internet thing so that when I'm places that don't have any service at all, I can (theoretically) still have interweb.

I know of one option out there, I see it for sale at truckstops. I think it maxes out at like 500mb of bandwidth for $75 a month. Not sure that's gonna be enough for me to watch streaming video on netflix.

Anyone use one of these, and can recommend? Or one of those personal hubs? The thingy that allows you to be your own hotspot?

Thanks!
Christopher
DO NOT buy anything offered at truckstops . I saw notices in Pilots not long ago explaining when that service would be restored .
A few years ago I had an annual subscription to Flying J WiFi because I frequently spent nights at the Flying J in London , Ontario . I did not renew the subscription when it was obvious Flying J was going bankrupt .
I bought a Verizon MiFi (Verizon does have a prepaid plan but the software costs over $200 ) The Mifi works great but now I have the problem with WiFi in Canada . I tried WiFi at the Flying J in London and T/A in Woodstock . Both use Wandering WiFi . It wanders all right . Both show a quick internet connection with a strong signal but it takes forever (20 to 40 minutes ) for the log in page to load if it manages to load at all . My last trip on the 401 I stayed at the Fifth Wheel in Dorchester which has excellent free WiFi .
My WiFi will work well in Canada but at a premium rate .