Preferential Treatment for Expediter Services . . .

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
It is not just ES that gets this treatment it is any approved WG truck. The truck is what seems to count not the drivers. There are many WG fleet trucks that lose a driver pick up a brand new team that have no experience or like some have came from another company with experience and they go into a WG truck and quickly into WG.

It is the O/O who has been on the list for several years and has over and over proven themselves who are very frustrated with this policy. These O/O are the ones that I wonder how they put up with the treatment. it is very hard to watch a fleet truck come in and less then desirable drivers get out and take a WG load while you are standing there in FedEx Apparel, have all the right equipment, and have the right truck and still are waiting on the list.

I am not talking about us as we knew the score on having a dog when leased to FCC. We are right where we want to be but I can sure feel the pain of those that do not have their pet with them and still are making no progress.

M

Mcarriers

Very well said SpudHead. I totally agree with everything you said. I too remember when it was a privilege that was earned to get invited to be in the White Glove Fleet. No offense to anyone, but that is why White Glove drivers and the trucks aren't what they used to be.

spudhead911

Seasoned Expediter
I agree with you Linda, and I also agree with you Theresa, some of the WG trucks would never have passed inspection to be allowed in WG, the same goes for some all ready in WG.

Humble2drive

Expert Expediter
I must admit.

I did my homework before making a decision to contact an owner who had a truck leased with Fed Ex. I fully understood the concept of White Glove and also understood that it was a privilege to be earned; therefore, it was set as a long term goal for my wife and I. Our plan was to work hard to develop excellent statistics and a reputation for professionalism. This would position us as candidates for White Glove if we were to pursue expediting as a long term career.

We were completely surprised when we were told that we qualified for one of our owners WG trucks and we would be able to drive for the WG fleet. At that time, we understood that our good fortune was due to the TRUCK being in WG and had very little to do with us personally.

Of course, we have since learned that there are many owner/operators waiting for a spot to come open for their truck and these slots are being pushed back in favor of Fleet Owners additions to the fleet. This is disheartening to us because we certainly want the system to be fair to all owners and we would like to purchase a truck of our own in the future.

I don’t know the answer to this seemingly unfair system. I can only say that I understand the frustration that it causes and this thread has helped clarify that.
I apologize if my earlier attempt at humor seemed glib and made light of what must be a difficult situation for all of the hard working dedicated professional owners who have put in the time, effort and investment to earn their status.

Reactions: 1 person

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
A driver who takes advantage of the system is not in the wrong it is the system that is wrong.

Outside looking in I think the fleet trucks are probably more dependable then the O/O with one truck. What I mean by that is not often do the fleets pull their trucks and move to another company it is too expensive. The O/O gets a wild hair and will pull their one truck and move on. When you talk about fleets you talk about the trucks as the drivers or these trucks also will leave in a heartbeat but the trucks stay put. When you talk about a one truck or two trucks O/O you are talking truck and driver that will often leave if a dispatcher talks to them wrong.

Humble2drive - your first post was fun to read and I enjoyed it. The sad part of that post is that I think some 0/0 actually believe part of what you posted! The sad part as they believe all the garbage and do not take the time to try and find out any facts from FCC they just talk to other disgruntled drivers who also have not tried to get any facts and all the sudden it is gospel.

Humble2drive

Expert Expediter
A driver who takes advantage of the system is not in the wrong it is the system that is wrong.

Thank you for making that point. I would add that most drivers who sign on with a fleet owner are completely clueless that they are taking advantage of anything; therefore, any ill feelings directed toward them is misplaced.

Outside looking in I think the fleet trucks are probably more dependable then the O/O with one truck. What I mean by that is not often do the fleets pull their trucks and move to another company it is too expensive. The O/O gets a wild hair and will pull their one truck and move on. When you talk about fleets you talk about the trucks as the drivers or these trucks also will leave in a heartbeat but the trucks stay put. When you talk about a one truck or two trucks O/O you are talking truck and driver that will often leave if a dispatcher talks to them wrong.

It does seem that there are many reasons that it would be in the Carriers best interest to promote fleet trucks. These reasons relate to WG fleet stability as you mentioned; however, there is a major compromise made in the unproven quality of the drivers being placed in these trucks.
Once the carrier has decided to make that compromise, why not make it their stated policy to give fleet trucks the priority?
In this case, everyone would know the policy up front and would have no reason to feel that the system is unfair.

Humble2drive - your first post was fun to read and I enjoyed it. .

Thanks. I can entertain myself for hours on EO.:D

buddy

Seasoned Expediter
My wife and I have completed WG class . Let me tell you all, On the morning of the first day of class the instructor asked all (Full classroom) to introduce ourseleves and how long had we been with Fedex.

Out of all the students there was one couple and one man that had been with Fedex for more then a year. The rest had 2 months or LESS!!., Including the other team with ES, and we have more time with FEDex then they did.

So you tell me.

BEARTRUCKER

Seasoned Expediter
My ex-team/life partner an I had bee expediting for 2 years with Panther with another owner, we then switched over to ES and continued to drive or Panther. We got tired of Panther's foolishness and asked ES to switch us to FEDEX. We had HazMat and Govt Clearance. . We "got right in" to the WG classes. Our truck had all the toys - reffer, lift gate, pallet jack, blankets, hand cart, etc.
Well, in July of 2009 I got blindsided by my now ex-partner, he decided he wanted to drive with his then ex-wife. We where home at he turned to me and said we where breaking up and he was going to drive with his wife/ex-wife/whatever.
I asked him how she could be quaslified to drive because as far as I knew she didn't even have a CDL. His reply was "she's been driving school buses...(insert ES manager name here)... at ES has been working with her to get into WG."
A driver with NO experience gets into WG...
PM me for the truck #
I think its funny as h*ll.

FJK1954

Expert Expediter
We were just reassured at the truck show meeting by both Virginia and Jason that no one gets passed over on dispatches, no matter if they are a one truck operator or a fleet. the system does not allow it and the dispatchers must put in an explanation if they ever pass over someone and it is monitored heavily. they invited anyone who wants to to stop in and watch how dispatching is done,,,,those in the meeting who had already done so said that they witnessed that the agents are so busy they dont have time for such nonsense. i believe them. frank

mypie

Seasoned Expediter
Just yesterday we ran into an O/O WG team that apparently still believes that fleets get in/out w/preferential treatment faster. I tried my best to convince her that she simply didn't have the facts right.

In the past, I questioned a number of dispatches myself and I looked into the reasons behind someone jumping ahead of us.

. . . Once it was that someone had a <75 and did and emergency "favor" intercept in which they retained their <75.

. . . In other cases the customer required certain equipment that the truck didn't have.

. . . And, of course, there are other cases where the driver qualifications do not meet the customer requirements.

. . . A truck could simply check out of an express center to head for a better neighborhood.

. . . Or a call could be placed to the CC and a relocation request made/accepted.

What I am saying is that there are any number of reasons that a truck will leave an express center. We drive for a fleet owner, and believe me, we do our share of sitting and waiting, just like an O/O. Never once have we received preferential treatment over another truck, but we have had the right equipment, the right qualifications, and we have simply checked out of an express center and headed down the road.

FedEx CC is right . . . it would be a logistical nightmare to try to give preferential treatment to the fleet owners.

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Some people just want to put on their tin foil hats and believe the world is out to get them....MAAAAAAAAAAAAN!

interstategar

Veteran Expediter
As a B unit, I now have the secret to success at Fedex. Paint the front portion of my van red. But I would prefer 5 star hotels not 4, otherwise the red paint is coming off. Member of the Dirty Glove Division.

buddy

Seasoned Expediter
Ok, we drive a big red KW and Yes we drive for ES. Even though we have not been out here as long as some of you, we are out here. With That said, let me tell you what we have experianced.

We can not 100% factually say that we do or do not get preferential treatment when it comes to loads. And I doubt anyone out there can 100% prove (with consistancy) that this occures.

I have heard stories from many that drivers (of ES) would go around telling/bragging to folks of the special treatment they recieve because of who they drive for.....to me thats just wrong for them to do such a thing. Nothing like shooting yourself in the foot.

My wife and I have made every attempt to meet other drivers for the sake of meeting new friends. We have been fortunate to meet some very wounderfull folks that were able to put aside the color of our truck and get to us as individuals. On the other side of the coin, We have introduced ourselves to folks that could not see any other color then red when they meet us and would shunn or ignore us completly.

As far as Owner contracts with fedex, we are ignorant to those matters after all we are not previed to those details. So maybe you o/o do have factual proof where ES is recieving/obtained preferential treatment ( if there is remember there are 2 parties involved, ES and FedEx CC).

How we feel about ES is another Post at another time.

Take care and Peace to you all.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Ok, we drive a big red KW and Yes we drive for ES. Even though we have not been out here as long as some of you, we are out here. With That said, let me tell you what we have experianced.

We can not 100% factually say that we do or do not get preferential treatment when it comes to loads. And I doubt anyone out there can 100% prove (with consistancy) that this occures.

I have heard stories from many that drivers (of ES) would go around telling/bragging to folks of the special treatment they recieve because of who they drive for.....to me thats just wrong for them to do such a thing. Nothing like shooting yourself in the foot.

My wife and I have made every attempt to meet other drivers for the sake of meeting new friends. We have been fortunate to meet some very wounderfull folks that were able to put aside the color of our truck and get to us as individuals. On the other side of the coin, We have introduced ourselves to folks that could not see any other color then red when they meet us and would shunn or ignore us completly.

As far as Owner contracts with fedex, we are ignorant to those matters after all we are not previed to those details. So maybe you o/o do have factual proof where ES is recieving/obtained preferential treatment ( if there is remember there are 2 parties involved, ES and FedEx CC).

How we feel about ES is another Post at another time.

Take care and Peace to you all.

WE would talk nice if we were ever to meet!! WE even talk to drivers from Panther, E1, Load1 etc etc etc, WE even talk to van/sprinter and 18 wheelers!! WE are either VERY nice or have no taste. I have yet to figure out which.
:confused: :p

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
We have met Mr. and Mrs. Buddy and we had a great time getting to know them. Color of truck, signs on the truck, and size of the truck mean nothing to us.

teamjdw

Expert Expediter
We have not met you folks yet,but hello,we don't care what color your truck is.Oh yeah we started out in a big red kw,but it said E-1 on it.;)

bcordell70

Expert Expediter
Me and the wife just started with ES around the end of June, haven't had the opportunity to actually meet Greg and Gail but we do speak on the phone.

Cant say we have had any issues with other Fed drivers, all the ones we have met so far out here have actually been pretty nice and willing to talk.

As far as preferential treatment, I can say the last time we were in Laredo there were I believe 4 or 5 Fedex trucks (all just plain C and D units) including ours and we went through several loads that were dispatched to other trucks before getting a load out ourselves.

We look forward to meeting other drivers and members of EO..

ATeam

Retired Expediter
We have met Mr. and Mrs. Buddy and we had a great time getting to know them. Color of truck, signs on the truck, and size of the truck mean nothing to us.

So, if your truck said Panther on the side, that would mean nothing to you? :D

Last edited: