Preferential Treatment for Expediter Services . . .

mypie

Seasoned Expediter
Today I ran into a couple of E Unit TVal drivers. They blindsided me with some garbage about Expediter Services (the Red Kenworth D Trucks), my owner getting preferential when it comes to getting the better runs (ie., to California, etc.).

There was nothing I could say to convince them that we have to wait in line at an express center the same as anybody else, and it was merely the luck of the draw as to what runs were handed out to who.

So, since this rumor is apparently out there . . . let's get it straight. Expediter Services is a large owner, and FedEx is very happy with them and the services that they provide and the way that they maintain their trucks, etc. They have a contract with FedEx that says that they have __ trucks (approx. 45) signed on with FedEx and of those __ trucks (approx. 45) they have the right to have __ trucks (approx. 17) that are White Glove. (I am not positive about the exact numbers.)

This means that he is able to get his better teams into White Glove faster than others who have to wait in line for a White Glove space to open up. This is the ONLY preferential treatment that we get. WE (as drivers) have to EARN the right to stay in those trucks - the same as anybody else.

We do not jump a head of anybody else at an Express Center to take the "better" loads. That is all the luck of the draw!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Preferential treatment of any kind is detrimental for this or any other business. It takes away compitition. It happens every where and in every business. Anytime people are involved things will happen. Keep in mind, every time on company is allowed faster access to a program, everyone else is held back. Many of those held back are better or more experienced than those who are allowed special access. In a perfect world access to White Glove or what ever else, would be based soley on merrit. There is no point in complaining, things are as they are. Something will cause it to swing back in the future, it always does. If not, we will all be the loser. Layoutshooter

spudhead911

Seasoned Expediter
I have heard from several contractors/drivers that ES get special treatment when it comes to loads. They have said that they were at same truck stop with ES trucks and had more dwell time than the ES trucks but the load went to the ES truck. I haven't had this happen with our truck so maybe it's sour grapes or the rumor mill at work.

With that said, I also believe that ANY special treament given to ANY o/o or fleet, especially one as large as ES, makes it all the harder for the rest of us to make a living. I also personally believe that ES could be getting special treatment when it comes to loads. It would be in the best interest of both the carrier and ES. The better the treatment by the carrier the more trucks ES would be able to put on. It would allow ES to negotiate a new contract allowing them to put on more trucks, both express and White Glove. Allowing ES to provide more trucks makes life easier for the carrier. It means less single truck o/o and small fleets to deal with, it cuts down on paperwork a whole bunch also.

We might just be seeing the slow demise of the single truck O/O, and the birth of the big company fleets like ES taking over the contractor side of the expediting business.

fatboy1

Veteran Expediter
Well this has happened before i came to expediting, us mail contrators was alot of small mom and pop cont,well when big players started getting in the mom and pop was forced out or bought up due to they couldnt compete,hate to say it but looks like something might happen here like what went on there, as far as rumors we all hear things just have to wait and see if they pan out

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Some of the drivers we have heard about from Expediter Services enjoy keeping this rumor going. They like to think they are getting preferential treatment or they seem to want others to think that so they will sign on with Expediter Services. Do they offer a recruitment bonus?

You are right about getting into WG because most if not all of Expediter Services trucks are WG qualified which means that the drivers hired get right in. The is a sore subject and one that has been brought up often as a good qualified O/O have been on the WG list a long time and cannot get into WG.

I am sure there are ways to tweak the computers and give preferential treatment to Expediter Service trucks but I just do not think it happens. One of the problems I see is there are so many of the red trucks that when you go into a customer and there are a lot of the red trucks there and few O/O's it does look like they were the only ones to see the load opp.

I do not see the fleets running the O/O out of business as we can run cheaper then Expediter Services can as our settlement sheet goes in one pocket instead of maintaining a office, owners and paying drivers.

BEARTRUCKER

Seasoned Expediter
Yeah, right...We wait in line like the rest of ya'll. We say yes the profitable ones and say no to the jokes. We get some and don't get some. Yes, we've sat in "hot spots" for well over 30 hrs. fending off the crap run offers.
If the dispatch search is looking for the following: D unit, reefer, 19' of floor lenghth, 15 straps, 6 load bars, floor rings, 24+ blankets, pallet jack, appliance dolly, 2 wheel doly, 4 wheel furniture mover, lift gate, team drivers, HazMat, DOD cleared, high inservice rate, 100% on time at PU and DEL. Are close enough to make PU time. Then we may have a shot at the load...
As far as being preferred....yeah right....

BEARTRUCKER

Seasoned Expediter
If you are refering to getting into WG quicker....we ran with Panther for 3 years - the last year we ran as Elite - DOD cleared. We ASKED to be switched to FedEx. What we brought to orientation was the truck described above, plus 3 years expediting service, 1 year Elite service. 100% on time at del and PU for THREE YEARS. Yes, we went into WG classes right after the basic orentation. Was it preferential??? Don't think so..we and the truck where ready to hit the ground running.
As far as ES getting preferential treatment for loads...axle kissing goes both ways...and I doubt ES would be willing to kiss back...

BEARTRUCKER

Seasoned Expediter
Oh yeah...we also have a drop axle...maybe thats why we get all those back to back 2500 mile loads at $5.00 a mile with 0 DH...ROTFLMAO

If you want to talk about preferential treatment...there is a small fleet owner that camps-out inside Panther dispatch, directing loads to their teams....its the same fleet owner that get talked up DURING Panther orientation BY the Panther STAFF!!!

spudhead911

Seasoned Expediter
If you are refering to getting into WG quicker....we ran with Panther for 3 years - the last year we ran as Elite - DOD cleared. We ASKED to be switched to FedEx. What we brought to orientation was the truck described above, plus 3 years expediting service, 1 year Elite service. 100% on time at del and PU for THREE YEARS. Yes, we went into WG classes right after the basic orentation. Was it preferential??? Don't think so..we and the truck where ready to hit the ground running.
As far as ES getting preferential treatment for loads...axle kissing goes both ways...and I doubt ES would be willing to kiss back...

That IS preferential treatment. When you jump over a truck that has the same equipment and stats and has been with the carrier just as long and have been on a list waiting to get into white glove and a Johnny come lately, new to the carrier goes to orentation and gets into WG ahead of the team that has been with the carrier longer and on the WG list, what would you call it?

I call it PREFERENTIAL TREATMENT!!!!!!!

Shame on both you and the carrier. So much for loyality to the carrier and following the rules waiting on a list for a spot in WG to open up. Then a NEWBIE with the carrier shows up and just because he drives a "red truck" he is put in WG.

Humble2drive

Expert Expediter
My wife and I are very happy to be receiving special treatment and would have it no other way.

*We are always the first truck dispatched with the highest pay.
*The offer comes through on our special private issue blackberry so that none of the other trucks can see it.
*We always enjoy a catered hot meal while waiting to load.
*Fed Ex hires lumpers to handle any White Glove labor.
*If we are ever inconvenienced with a long dwell time, Fed Ex will make arrangements for a suitable four star hotel.
*Fred Smith calls our cell phone frequently to make sure that we are happy and we are receiving everything we need to make our job enjoyable. We really enjoy sharing his skybox seats for major sporting events.

AND, I take offense when people think we didn’t pay our dues to become White Glove. We spent 2 grueling weeks practicing our driving skills in a U-Haul in order to be fully prepared.

Disclaimer: The above post is for entertainment purposes only and is not intended to be taken seriously.

Reactions: 1 person

BEARTRUCKER

Seasoned Expediter
That IS preferential treatment. When you jump over a truck that has the same equipment and stats and has been with the carrier just as long and have been on a list waiting to get into white glove and a Johnny come lately, new to the carrier goes to orentation and gets into WG ahead of the team that has been with the carrier longer and on the WG list, what would you call it?

I call it PREFERENTIAL TREATMENT!!!!!!!

Shame on both you and the carrier. So much for loyality to the carrier and following the rules waiting on a list for a spot in WG to open up. Then a NEWBIE with the carrier shows up and just because he drives a "red truck" he is put in WG.

Shame on me?? Shame on YOU for keeping on FedEx to get into WG. We happened to be in the right place at the right time with the right toys and right credentials. It's NOT my fault or ES's that YOU haven't been bugging FedEx. Why haven't YOU contacted FedEX as to why YOU aren't in WG?? Whose fault is that??? MINE?? I don't think so! When you went to orientation - where you ready to go into WG? Did you tell them that? Or did you decide to get into WG AFTER you got out of orientation?? Contact FedEx and complain to them.

BEARTRUCKER

Seasoned Expediter
My wife and I are very happy to be receiving special treatment and would have it no other way.

*We are always the first truck dispatched with the highest pay.
*The offer comes through on our special private issue blackberry so that none of the other trucks can see it.
*We always enjoy a catered hot meal while waiting to load.
*Fed Ex hires lumpers to handle any White Glove labor.
*If we are ever inconvenienced with a long dwell time, Fed Ex will make arrangements for a suitable four star hotel.
*Fred Smith calls our cell phone frequently to make sure that we are happy and we are receiving everything we need to make our job enjoyable. We really enjoy sharing his skybox seats for major sporting events.

AND, I take offense when people think we didn’t pay our dues to become White Glove. We spent 2 grueling weeks practicing our driving skills in a U-Haul in order to be fully prepared.

Disclaimer: The above post is for entertainment purposes only and is not intended to be taken seriously.

They gave you a Blackberry?? Man, that wasn't in the Super Secret Preferential Packet WE got, must be in those Super Secret DOUBLE Preferential Packets! Man I'm gonna whine about this to the forum, and to my truck stop buddies..

Oh, gotta go now and call the Preferential direct to dispatch line we have and tell them we want that coast to caost run at $5.00 a mile and then a run down to Miami to the preferential luxury condo they give to the red trucks.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
This is becoming non-productive. If trucks and crews were allowed to "jump" over others it was wrong. That would mean that many others that were qualified were held back because of it. This arguement will slove nothing. Bashing fleets or carriers in public does little than cause ill feelings. Layoutshooter

BEARTRUCKER

Seasoned Expediter
Opps, hit wrong key
Yes, this is becoming nonproductive.
We where NOT aware of a "list"
We where told to get the truck and our selves DOT'd, get the reefer checked/tested, and show up at oreintaion.
I suggest (non-sarcastitly) that those who feel slighted by FEDX, contact FEDEX and ask WHY.
And as far as being a Johnny Come Lately...we all have to start somewhere...where did you start??? I appologize that I wasn't born in a truck and the shifter wasn't my baby rattle. :rolleyes::eek::)

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
This is becoming non-productive. If trucks and crews were allowed to "jump" over others it was wrong. That would mean that many others that were qualified were held back because of it. This arguement will slove nothing. Bashing fleets or carriers in public does little than cause ill feelings. Layoutshooter

Wow layout,you have only been on the job about a week or so and already you have got the moderator lingo down to a T.:D

spudhead911

Seasoned Expediter
Shame on me?? Shame on YOU for keeping on FedEx to get into WG. We happened to be in the right place at the right time with the right toys and right credentials. It's NOT my fault or ES's that YOU haven't been bugging FedEx. Why haven't YOU contacted FedEX as to why YOU aren't in WG?? Whose fault is that??? MINE?? I don't think so! When you went to orientation - where you ready to go into WG? Did you tell them that? Or did you decide to get into WG AFTER you got out of orientation?? Contact FedEx and complain to them.

It isn't shame on me, my wife and i have been in WG for almost 8 years and own a WG T-Val unit.

Another thing is most if not all of the O/O's waiting on the list to get into WG own their WG ready trucks. Why should you jump ahead of them? You are not more qualified, probably less qualified. Before you went to orientation did you know how to fill out a standard FECC BOL, or know the MACRO's on the C-Link? Did you know where the express centers were, or how to use the VRU? I doubt it. That makes you less qualified than the O/O's waiting on the list.

the ONLY reason you are in WG is not because you know what you are doing, it's because you drive for a fleet owner who cut a deal with FECC. Most of the teams on the WG list are O/O's who do OWN their trucks, have all the equipment and clearances, and do know what they are doing.

Don't take this as bashing you, I'm not. Maybe I should not say shame on you. But shame on ES and FECC for letting ES drivers jump loyal O/O's who were and are willing to wait on a list to get into WG.

It use to be that you started out going to orientation and running express for a year or two. FECC didn't care if you were with a different carrier pulling the same type of loads as WG. FECC would only look at your stats from your time with FECC. Then you would write a letter to the head of WG listing your qualifications and why you would be an asset to WG. The your recruiter would have to write a letter and recommend you for WG. Then if you were lucky you would get a call inviting you to join the WG Team, and then a date was set for you to go to WG orientation.

You have no time with FECC, that would lead me to believe that the O/O's on the WG list is more qualified than you.

I am very happy being with FECC and plan on being with them until we retire from expediting. they are a great carrier. they have treated us fair and we have treated them fair. I'm not happy with the special treatment ES is getting, being allowed to have their trucks go right into WG.

Maybe someone at FECC will read this and terminate me, but I doubt it. I have faith that my carrier understands we all must vent, some more than others. And that we all have a point of view that sometimes differs with what of the carrier's. FECC has to do what it must to servive. Not liking a particular practice doesn't mean I am not satisfied with them.

HEY FECC, YOU KNOW I LOVE BEING CONTRACTED WITH YOU!

Anyway, we can go back and forth with this forever and beat it to death, but I will stop here. There is no sense in draging this on any longer. It is what it is.