prayers and thoughts needed

myvan010

Seasoned Expediter
Got a update on Jerry today and I was told that he had some pins put in and is still in serious condition,And they are waiting on him to become more stable before they put the pins in his hips...
Disclaimer
I am only reporting what I have been told,and will continue to do so as long as needed

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Thanks, Myvan. Could you provide an address, for those who would like to send a get well card, maybe?

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
I did not know Jerry , but I pray for a good recovery. I to get in a hurry and dont use my tie down strap and load bars, will put a note on the dash to remind me now( strap all loads )

myvan010

Seasoned Expediter
I am sorry it took so long to post a update but here is what I got this far,Jerry had a heart attack last week and as stated before they can not do any more surgeries they have to wait until he is stronger,
I was able to get the hospital address where he is at and if sending a card or what ever I was told to address it as follows

Gerald(jerry)Hattle(Patient ICU)
University Hospital
234 Goodman Street
Cincinatti Ohio 45219

Sorry no room number at this time but was told if for what ever reason he gets moved from ICU they will still be able to get it to him.

pnicol

Expert Expediter
Update on Jerry:

Hello all. My name is Paul Nicol, I am the owner of Hana Express, the company Jerry drives for. Jerry was indeed in a very serious accident the week before last. He was on I-71 between Louisville and Cincinnati. My understanding is that there was some patchwork happening along this stretch of I-71 and the right lane had been closed near the accident site. The right lane had come to a stop and the left lane was crawling. Jerry was in the right lane behind a 53ft and he did not see the braking of the truck in time and he rear ended the truck at a fairly high speed. At the last second he tried to avoid the truck and get onto the right shoulder and unfortunately he didn’t make it in time and most of the impact was on the driver side of his sprinter. His van was of course totaled and in such bad shape that he needed to be cut out of the van and put on a life flight to Cincinnati. Fortunately, no one else was hurt in the accident.

Since I’m familiar with the facts and details of his condition I’ll answer a few questions here and provide some more info.

Jerry indeed drives a silver sprinter with windows. He’s perhaps one of the most easy going and kind drivers that has ever worked for me and if you have run into him out the road you will also remember him as such. He’s 67 years of age.

The freight he was carrying didn’t pin him in the front of the van and result in his injuries. Reports of responders tossing freight to the back of the van is accurate but his freight was all small cartons of wires and they were scattered all over the van. His injuries were due to the high impact on the front driver’s side and not from being pinned from behind. This does not diminish the importance of securing freight though. Indeed, you should all make sure you are using load bars, straps, and anything else you can to secure your freight. The biggest problem with Jerry’s freight was that like most things that come out of Mexico it was poorly packaged and palletized. If you get a skid off the border, don’t be afraid to tell the shipper and the company you driver for it needs to be more secure. If it’s not shrink wrapped or is very loosely shirk wrapped, demand they shrink wrap it more. And always, always secure your freight before you leave.

Jerry’s injuries were pretty extensive. Broken left leg, broken left ribs, broken or fractured pelvis/hip (I don’t know which) cuts and wounds to his left arm and leg, laceration to his liver. Fortunately though, no indications of head, neck, or spine injuries. Today they did a procedure to help his liver heal and to drain off the leaking bile which can be very dangerous. If the liver problem can be controlled and healed they will proceed with a surgery on his hip. Then the next step will be to try and wean him off of his ventilator which he was put on approximately a week ago.

Needless to say, he is still in the ICU and has a very long way to go. I visited him on Saturday and while he was awake and somewhat alert, he is certainly feeling the effects of being in the ICU for over 10 days. His family has been with him most of the time that he has been in the hospital. I told Jerry that all you folks on the road are praying for his recovery and his pain to be eased. Because he is in the ICU, visitation restrictions are in place and I recommend that anyone interested in visiting him consider waiting until he is at least out of the ICU and more responsive. Communication with him is very limited and he is receiving close watch and care and while visits are appreciated they can also be a hindrance during this stage as the nurses and doctors care for him. His family (who is close with him), are there and they are supporting him. We will continue to pass along to Jerry and his family your prayers and well wishes.

Jerry is a Christian. I will not fail to mention in this post that God was looking out for one of his sheep that afternoon and spared his life. It’s truly a miracle that Jerry survived the accident due to its severity.

Christians on the road; your prayers are truly appreciated and are being acknowledged daily by our Father.

Non-believers reading this; do not be too quick to disregard the Christian driver on the road who strikes up a conversation with you. Perhaps one day you may find yourself in a situation like Jerry’s and without Christ on your side, you are gambling with your life.

Thank you again to all of you for your prayers and well wishes for Jerry. I cannot update this thread every day with his status but I will try at least once a week to let you all know how he’s doing.

God Bless,

Paul Nicol
Hana Express

myvan010

Seasoned Expediter
Update on Jerry:

Hello all. My name is Paul Nicol, I am the owner of Hana Express, the company Jerry drives for. Jerry was indeed in a very serious accident the week before last. He was on I-71 between Louisville and Cincinnati. My understanding is that there was some patchwork happening along this stretch of I-71 and the right lane had been closed near the accident site. The right lane had come to a stop and the left lane was crawling. Jerry was in the right lane behind a 53ft and he did not see the braking of the truck in time and he rear ended the truck at a fairly high speed. At the last second he tried to avoid the truck and get onto the right shoulder and unfortunately he didn’t make it in time and most of the impact was on the driver side of his sprinter. His van was of course totaled and in such bad shape that he needed to be cut out of the van and put on a life flight to Cincinnati. Fortunately, no one else was hurt in the accident.

Since I’m familiar with the facts and details of his condition I’ll answer a few questions here and provide some more info.

Jerry indeed drives a silver sprinter with windows. He’s perhaps one of the most easy going and kind drivers that has ever worked for me and if you have run into him out the road you will also remember him as such. He’s 67 years of age.

The freight he was carrying didn’t pin him in the front of the van and result in his injuries. Reports of responders tossing freight to the back of the van is accurate but his freight was all small cartons of wires and they were scattered all over the van. His injuries were due to the high impact on the front driver’s side and not from being pinned from behind. This does not diminish the importance of securing freight though. Indeed, you should all make sure you are using load bars, straps, and anything else you can to secure your freight. The biggest problem with Jerry’s freight was that like most things that come out of Mexico it was poorly packaged and palletized. If you get a skid off the border, don’t be afraid to tell the shipper and the company you driver for it needs to be more secure. If it’s not shrink wrapped or is very loosely shirk wrapped, demand they shrink wrap it more. And always, always secure your freight before you leave.

Jerry’s injuries were pretty extensive. Broken left leg, broken left ribs, broken or fractured pelvis/hip (I don’t know which) cuts and wounds to his left arm and leg, laceration to his liver. Fortunately though, no indications of head, neck, or spine injuries. Today they did a procedure to help his liver heal and to drain off the leaking bile which can be very dangerous. If the liver problem can be controlled and healed they will proceed with a surgery on his hip. Then the next step will be to try and wean him off of his ventilator which he was put on approximately a week ago.

Needless to say, he is still in the ICU and has a very long way to go. I visited him on Saturday and while he was awake and somewhat alert, he is certainly feeling the effects of being in the ICU for over 10 days. His family has been with him most of the time that he has been in the hospital. I told Jerry that all you folks on the road are praying for his recovery and his pain to be eased. Because he is in the ICU, visitation restrictions are in place and I recommend that anyone interested in visiting him consider waiting until he is at least out of the ICU and more responsive. Communication with him is very limited and he is receiving close watch and care and while visits are appreciated they can also be a hindrance during this stage as the nurses and doctors care for him. His family (who is close with him), are there and they are supporting him. We will continue to pass along to Jerry and his family your prayers and well wishes.

Jerry is a Christian. I will not fail to mention in this post that God was looking out for one of his sheep that afternoon and spared his life. It’s truly a miracle that Jerry survived the accident due to its severity.

Christians on the road; your prayers are truly appreciated and are being acknowledged daily by our Father.

Non-believers reading this; do not be too quick to disregard the Christian driver on the road who strikes up a conversation with you. Perhaps one day you may find yourself in a situation like Jerry’s and without Christ on your side, you are gambling with your life.

Thank you again to all of you for your prayers and well wishes for Jerry. I cannot update this thread every day with his status but I will try at least once a week to let you all know how he’s doing.

God Bless,

Paul Nicol
Hana Express

Thanks Paul for clearing up some things and letting us know about Jerry condition,I will be praying for him and hope he makes a speedy recovery.

pnicol

Expert Expediter
Update on Gerald (Jerry) Hattle:

Hello all. I have talked some with Jerry's family in the past few days. Unfortunately, there really hasn't been any improvement since last week. A procedure was done last week to put a drain and some stints in to help correct the issue of the leaking bile from his liver. Hopefully, this will help his liver begin to heal. The setbacks he has seen in the past week include pretty high fluid retention all over his body for which he is receiving dialysis to help remove some of that fluid. His belly was also quite swollen and my understanding is they removed his gallbladder in an attempt to help correct this. His blood pressure has been a little on the low side. Jerry has also developed a MRSA staff infection in his lungs which can sometimes be typical for this type of prolonged hospital stay especially when a patient is significantly weakened.

His responsiveness has been less in the past week and he's not awake much.

Again, thank you all for your prayers for Jerry these past few weeks. He's got an uphill climb, but we are all hoping he'll pull through. I know his family greatly appreciates everyone's prayers during this difficult time. I do as well.

Should there be any significant changes in his condition, I will let you all know.

Stay safe out there and God Bless.

-Paul

rjrrob

Seasoned Expediter
sorry to hear that it was Jerry , had dinner with him several times and seen him all over the place . hope i see him out hear very soon again . very nice gye to spend the day with , always had a good story to tell about something . always cheerfull no matter what the day was like or what was going on

pnicol

Expert Expediter
I received a call from Jerry's sister this morning. Unfortunately, the doctors are starting to see signs that Jerry will likely not survive. He is experiencing multiple organ failures.

It was difficult to get this bad news from his sister. We had all prayed that God would heal him and pull him through this, but in the end it appears that was just not God's will for him. Perhaps this is God's way of showing us He wants to ease Jerry's pain and take him to his eternal home in Heaven.

Please keep praying for Jerry and his family. They are of course so shaken over this and they too need God's comfort and healing now too.

Take care of yourselves out there and be safe.

God Bless,
Paul

pnicol

Expert Expediter
It's with great sadness that I bring the news that Jerry Hattle passed away today.

As most of you know, Jerry was in a very serious accident in KY last month. His injuries from the accident were extensive and he was very lucky just to have survived the accident. Jerry had multible setbacks while in the ICU including a heart attack, liver failure, and kidney failure. Various forms of support and procedures were not showing any progress.

Anyone who met Jerry out on the road knew him to be a very easy going and kind person. He loved the road and loved meeting and keeping up with other drivers out on the road. As a worker, he was one of the most hard working drivers that has ever worked from me. His work ethic, character, and personality will be greatly missed by me and the drivers that work for me.

Most importantly, as I have mentioned before, Jerry was a Christian. His faith in Christ secured for him an enternal home where he new resides and is free of the pain and suffering he endured these past few weeks. Believers; take heart, you will one day see Jerry again! Non-believers; as I have said before, do not dismiss a conversation with a believer on the road (or anywhere else). Each one's time will come, are you secure in your knowledge of where you will go when you die?

I will provide details about funeral arrangements for Jerry once I have them. My understanding at this time is that the funeral will take place in Memphis, TN.

Take care out there, be safe, and God Bless.

Paul

(attached is a picture of Jerry that I took back in June when I met him for lunch here in the Chicago area)

Attachments

• Jerry Hattle.jpg
    Jerry Hattle.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 56

Suds43

Seasoned Expediter
Our thoughts and prayers go out to family and friends.
Godspeed Jerry!!!! See you again my christian brother.

myvan010

Seasoned Expediter
Very sad news, I only met him once and what a impression he has left on me,May God bless his soul and prayers go out to his family,
RIP fellow Driver

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
As I sat hear reading this post tears rolling down my face. I think about all the Great Drivers I have met over the years. I didn't know Jerry, but he was still part of the Expedite family. I'm sure Jerry is in a better place. Sometimes I think that we live in Hell here on earth until its our time to go be with Jesus in Heaven.

Last edited:

Deville

Not a Member
Sad story, this could happen to any of us. Makes you take a moment & think that when things seen bad, they really aren't as bad as they could be.

RIP.

pnicol

Expert Expediter
Re: prayers and thoughts needed (funeral announcement)

Jerry's family just passed along to me the details for Jerry's funeral. Anyone interested in attending is welcome.

Visitation:

Tomorrow (Sunday 15th):
5:00-7:00 p.m. CENTRAL

Highpoint Funeral Chapel
3788 Summer Avenue
Memphis, TN 38122-3723
(901) 454-5795

Graveside Services:

Monday the 16th
10:00 a.m. CENTRAL

Memphis Memory Gardens
6444 Raleigh Lagrange Road
Memphis, TN 38134-6998

Thank you again for all of your prayers these past few weeks. I know that Jerry's family greatly appreciated them.

Be safe and God Bless.

-Paul