Power Landing Gear

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have an electric tarp motor that runs mine, but it doesn't work well in the cold weather.

It's probably not the motor that is at fault. Any idea what type of grease is being used in the landing gear? How often do you service it? Using an arctic grade synthetic grease should make the gearing turn easier, even at -30°.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Water can also get in when you get the truck washed and cause problems. I believe that's what happened to mine and I recently had the box cleaned out and new grease put in. Big difference.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Kim, how often do you grease the landing gear? For trailers it is recommended to grease 3 or 4 times a year. I would think that would apply to straights as well. Yeah, power washing can easily force water into the gearbox and road spray mixed with salt and sand tends to find it's way into the legs.

gotta go

Veteran Expediter
It's probably not the motor that is at fault. Any idea what type of grease is being used in the landing gear? How often do you service it? Using an arctic grade synthetic grease should make the gearing turn easier, even at -30°.
Thanks, I didn't know they make an arctic grade grease. I'll definitely get it changed out, because I'm certain the problem is that the cold turns the grease to glue.

bluejaybee

Veteran Expediter
Just saw this link in a 'Women in Trucking' newsletter. Welcome to ON-LIFT Pneumatic Tractor/Trailer Systems
I have an electric tarp motor that runs mine, but it doesn't work well in the cold weather. This might be a good option. I also like the fact that, if necessary, you can bypass the system and operate them manually.

Have you or do you know of anyone who has priced these? I was wondering what they cost? Looks like a good thing if not overly priced.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Jeanie, I did a little on-line research and one landing gear manufacturer recommends greasing every 3 months and using 4oz. of grease per grease fitting. That's one zerk for the gear box and two zerks each for the legs. Total is 20 oz. grease. Most common grease cartridges are 14 oz. It may be worth it to buy a grease gun and grease your landing gear 4 times a year yourself, putting in roughly 2.8 oz. of grease per zerk. Landing gear is easy to service so why not do it yourself, do it right and leave the doing the "worm" lubing to the goobers at Speedco.

gotta go

Veteran Expediter
Jeanie, I did a little on-line research and one landing gear manufacturer recommends greasing every 3 months and using 4oz. of grease per grease fitting. That's one zerk for the gear box and two zerks each for the legs. Total is 20 oz. grease. Most common grease cartridges are 14 oz. It may be worth it to buy a grease gun and grease your landing gear 4 times a year yourself, putting in roughly 2.8 oz. of grease per zerk. Landing gear is easy to service so why not do it yourself, do it right and leave the doing the "worm" lubing to the goobers at Speedco.

Good idea, I have a grease gun and have been using the Motorkote grease. I'm going to check out the arctic grade grease.

EllenV

Seasoned Expediter
Dave Rivers asked me to post this response.
Ellen Voie
Women In Trucking, Inc.

Hi Jeanie
Your associates are correct that in Cold weather the grease can significantly increase the torque required to crank a landing gear.
The proper grease is essential to minimize this situation in extremely cold climates.
The Patriot Lift air motor has a torque of from 50 to 100 ft/ lbs vs. the electric with a torque of fewer than 10 ft/ lbs
Our regular unit can lift a loaded trailer up to 60,000 lbs. Our HD unit can lift a $100,000 lb trailer.
That is why the Patriot automation can operate effectively in all temperature and weather variations.

Hope this helps

Dave Rivers Sr
CEO
Patriot Lift Co.

bluejaybee

Veteran Expediter
Well sweet! Can you get Dave Rivers to give us a ballpark figure for the units? Or tell us where we can get the cost of them? Don't need estimate for installing, just the cost of units.

Last edited:

gotta go

Veteran Expediter
Dave Rivers asked me to post this response.
Ellen Voie
Women In Trucking, Inc.

Hi Jeanie
Your associates are correct that in Cold weather the grease can significantly increase the torque required to crank a landing gear.
The proper grease is essential to minimize this situation in extremely cold climates.
The Patriot Lift air motor has a torque of from 50 to 100 ft/ lbs vs. the electric with a torque of fewer than 10 ft/ lbs
Our regular unit can lift a loaded trailer up to 60,000 lbs. Our HD unit can lift a $100,000 lb trailer.
That is why the Patriot automation can operate effectively in all temperature and weather variations.

Hope this helps

Dave Rivers Sr
CEO
Patriot Lift Co.

Thanks Ellen and Dave.

Last edited:

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I don't see the reason why there should be a change for your truck Go, if the landing gear is taken care of and greased as Moot described at least going into the cold season, the electric system will handle your straight truck needs.

Remember you are not trying to "lift" your truck to unhook but use the dollies (Landing Gear) as a safety feature so a forklift can go on it. The need for a 100ft/lb torque motor is an overkill when many of us hand crank it down.

Amsoil ($8.95 a tube) and Chevron ($9.95 a tube) both make "arctic" grade grease, it is synthetic grease good down to -35 F and if you need stuff that goes a lot colder than that, Chevron and Mobile both have a pretty good Aero/military grease that goes to I think -75 F but cost somewhere around $30 an ounce. Remember also when you are talking about temps, wind chill temps do not count.

Have you checked the motor and looked to see if it needs to be greased too?

gotta go

Veteran Expediter
I don't see the reason why there should be a change for your truck Go, if the landing gear is taken care of and greased as Moot described at least going into the cold season, the electric system will handle your straight truck needs.

Remember you are not trying to "lift" your truck to unhook but use the dollies (Landing Gear) as a safety feature so a forklift can go on it. The need for a 100ft/lb torque motor is an overkill when many of us hand crank it down.

Amsoil ($8.95 a tube) and Chevron ($9.95 a tube) both make "arctic" grade grease, it is synthetic grease good down to -35 F and if you need stuff that goes a lot colder than that, Chevron and Mobile both have a pretty good Aero/military grease that goes to I think -75 F but cost somewhere around $30 an ounce. Remember also when you are talking about temps, wind chill temps do not count.

Have you checked the motor and looked to see if it needs to be greased too?

Greg, I agree that I shouldn't need to replace the electric motor after upgrading the grease.
I get frequent questions from drivers who see my setup and wanted to post another option for those who are looking to make changes.

daverivers

Seasoned Expediter
Hi

Anyone interested in the Patriot Lift system automation can contact us at [email protected] or call 340 772 5438.
We are offering WIT members a $100 discount.
Be sure to mention that.
You can also get more information on our website www.patriotlift.com

Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year
Dave Rivers
CEO
Patriot Lift Co.:)

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Thanks Dave for the info and offer, but a lot of us are not "WIT" members.

Gottago,
Is the system on your truck custom or factory made?

gotta go

Veteran Expediter
Gottago,
Is the system on your truck custom or factory made?
It was on the truck when I bought it, but I've had to replace the motor twice. It's a Roll-Rite tarp motor. An advantage I saw with the Patriot Lift was the ability to bypass the system and manually crank the gear down. With mine, when the motor is out it is necessary to remove it and then slide a handle through the mount each time you want to use it. Let's face it, I'm lazy, I don't want to have to do that.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Thanks for the info. I have one unit I took off a trailer just sitting in the yard and I haven't got around to putting it on, it is electric but you can push the handle in and crank it if you need to. It isn't an easy crank but it works. That has a small motor on it.

I have a regular drop I been doing for the past few months and when I get into the dock I can barely get in the back to crank the dollies down. I ripped my new jacket a few weeks ago trying to get out from cranking it up but it is not enough incentive to put the unit on the truck - I guess I'm lazy too.

daverivers

Seasoned Expediter
Hi Gotta Go

We will honor the $100 discount per unit for all members of expediter online as long as they support women in the trucking industry.
Just mention " Women in Trucking". This offer will be good until March 31,2011
Best Wishes

Dave Rivers
CEO
Patriot Lift Co.
340 772 5438