Potentially Expediting

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Plenty of people succeed without reading back at all. My guess is more succeed and never even knew about this site before driving. I spent some time here before starting and never read one old post.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using EO Forums mobile app

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
Let's not forget that common sense and decent business sense can go along way in expediting.
Operative word = CAN

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
That's all true but if you had to choose an option:

A. One may be better off and may have better success if one takes advantage of EO and reads back a few years using it as an online university to learn and better prepare for a career in expediting.

B. One will not gain anything and will not do any better in an expediting career by using EO as an online university to learn and prepare for a career in expediting so there's no need to read EO at all.

KickStarter6

Veteran Expediter
That's all true but if you had to choose an option:

A. One may be better off and may have better success if one takes advantage of EO and reads back a few years using it as an online university to learn and better prepare for a career in expediting.

B. One will not gain anything and will not do any better in an expediting career by using EO as an online university to learn and prepare for a career in expediting so there's no need to read EO at all.

You point isn't totally valid because the few year have been during the worst economy since the Great Depression. It's gonna be rather slanted. Just like I'd the few years the economy is booming. It would slanted the opposite.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The point isn't the quality of the economy, it's whether one may obtain benefit and learn from others here or whether one will not gain anything at all by investing a very small amount of time in the grand scheme of things studying and learning from EO.

KickStarter6

Veteran Expediter
The point isn't the quality of the economy, it's whether one may obtain benefit and learn from others here or whether one will not gain anything at all by investing a very small amount of time in the grand scheme of things studying and learning from EO.

That is a HUGE point in my opinion. If the economy is booming you have more room for error. Not to mention this industry would be busier. So yeah that's an important if not the most important point

Mailer

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm turning 33 in 4 days and I have nothing to show for it. Been married for about 10 years and with 2 kids.....I have no desire to stay out that much, but I have seen that most expediters get a week at home every 3-4 weeks, which is fine with me

Anyone with wife and kids wanting to do OTR expediting must first have a long discussion with the family. It can be done, but emotionally, it is very stressful and will effect all parties one way or another.

What you used to do at home as a father and a husband will no longer be available when you are out on the road weeks or months at a time. Who will fill those voids? Those issues must be addressed with every family members.

There are some expeditors here on EO that are in similar situation as yours and they are too dealing with the separation anxiety on a daily basis. And if, better opportunity exist at home, they will leave the expediting in a heartbeat.

This is a very risky and unpredictable business. To do well, as LDB pointed out, read and research EO. You have a family to feed and can not afford the mistakes.

Good luck :)

Last edited:

zorry

Veteran Expediter
It's much easier to do today than years ago.
With modern technology you're usually a cell phone call away.
Video improves things.
The partner at home, usually the wife, must be strong and committed.

I would think that most people gone for months are those that want to be gone for months.

Three weeks out and one week home is fairly standard. That's a lot of time off if planned wisely.

I knew one company that back when cell phones were costly paid your cell phone bill so you would call home daily. They knew a happier home life meant a happier employee. ( Nalco Chemical )

Mailer

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It's much easier to do today than years ago.
With modern technology you're usually a cell phone call away.
Video improves things.
The partner at home, usually the wife, must be strong and committed.

I would think that most people gone for months are those that want to be gone for months.

Three weeks out and one week home is fairly standard. That's a lot of time off if planned wisely.

I knew one company that back when cell phones were costly paid your cell phone bill so you would call home daily. They knew a happier home life meant a happier employee. ( Nalco Chemical )

Great points, if the OP decides to go for it. And sometimes sacrifice has to be made to make ends meet.

Though, at all cost, if you have family with kids, stay local. Nothing beat physical presence and human touch :):)

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The point you aren't accepting is that the economy etc. are the same for person A who does no prep work and person B who does the prep work I suggested. My point is not the broad spectrum economy etc.. My point is the narrow topic of foundation and prep work vs. no foundation and no prep work. I contend that if you have an A and a B in any and every given year the one who does the foundation and prep work is going to have a better chance of succeeding the majority of the time.

KickStarter6

Veteran Expediter
Another good resource is to go to truckstops and actually talk to drivers from different companies. I've learned more from the guys I've met at TS than on this site. The treads said person would back and read is gonna be full of a lot of bickering and disagreements over silliness. For instance us disagreeing on something as trivial like this lol

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Yes, that may also be helpful, depending on who you talk to. Any and all useful resources should be taken advantage of, including reading the threads on EO that sound educational and informative.

KickStarter6

Veteran Expediter
Yes, that may also be helpful, depending on who you talk to. Any and all useful resources should be taken advantage of, including reading the threads on EO that sound educational and informative.

I will say that when I hear truckers or vanners talk about a good place to eat OR how nice a truck stop is they're being honest. But that is in my own experience from the last 4+ months of expediting. When a guy say he gets this much a mile or this and that I listen but take the info with a grain of salt. Yes I agree any resource you have at you disposal that could possibly help you out take it. But don't compare reading this sight to earning a HAVAC certification or especially becoming a dr. That's IMO is comparing apples to chainsaws

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
Comparing Exeditors to Doctors. There are a ton of Psychologist practicing on this site. It's just not all may be licensed.:eek:

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I never compared this directly to becoming a doctor. I also didn't compare it directly to getting an HVAC degree. I said that anyone wanting to go into HVAC or paralegal or whatever would either have to or at least be far better served by going through the normal course of study for their field. The point is that becoming a successful expediting O/O is just as much a career decision and move as any of the others. It should be taken just as seriously as any of the others. It should be studied and approached just as seriously.

fatmcrat

Rookie Expediter
Update
I decided to take the expediting job. I called Expediter services and the recuiter told me that that guy already had another driver lined up for orientation with panther. The driver told me the that he was talking to someone but no details were confirmed yet. IDK but I emailed the recruiter with Panther and he was trying to set me up with another local company needing a driver. I talked to that guy and he tried to put me with a smoker. I smoked for 12 years and I been quit 1.5 years, I WILL NOT go out with a smoker. And that driver lives about 2 hours away. Expediter said they can't get me in a Panther truck, but they could a FedExCC truck if i had a co-driver.

One of my good friends that i've known for 20 years is talking about getting his cdl's and I think he might go out with me. I'm going to hold off a month while he goes to school to get his license, and me and him might hit the road. There is no jobs here really worth a flip except fast food. I also didn't mention I am going to school online with Phoenix and about a year form having my bachelors degree in marketing. I can still have plenty of time to finish my school work during my downtime each night. I want to spend time with my family, but I'm willing to sacrifice some time in order to make sure there is plenty food on the table.

thanx for all the responses, I have been reading them and I appreciate the input from everyone. I have also been doing lots of research and I think when the time comes for me to make the main decision, I will be better prepared.

Maverick

Seasoned Expediter
Unfortunately....many are finding themselves in this exact same position, having to weigh the family life, against income potential or career. Someone mentioned your spouse, and this is the person who would need to be very strong, if you decide to go OTR. JMHO

Children are incredibly resilient, and as long as your time at home is filled with caring and positive experience, would think you'd be fine. Can they look forward to when Dad does come home? Those times could be the best memories of all.....given doing what you had to do, to support them. If they know Mom is there, and Dad will be home with a positive light to the household.....the children will know, all they need to know, and will be fine. Your current job does not afford for a lot of things, but that's not what children want, or need, anyway. They'll wait for you to get home, if they understand a Dad who cares. And they will. :)

Received some excellent advice here, but was spotty, and as needed. Sometimes it was direct questions, sometimes reading post's. Don't think there's a template for learning it.....just use it as you feel in need for. Like now. :D

jamom123

Expert Expediter
Unfortunately....many are finding themselves in this exact same position, having to weigh the family life, against income potential or career. Someone mentioned your spouse, and this is the person who would need to be very strong, if you decide to go OTR. JMHO

Children are incredibly resilient, and as long as your time at home is filled with caring and positive experience, would think you'd be fine. Can they look forward to when Dad does come home? Those times could be the best memories of all.....given doing what you had to do, to support them. If they know Mom is there, and Dad will be home with a positive light to the household.....the children will know, all they need to know, and will be fine. Your current job does not afford for a lot of things, but that's not what children want, or need, anyway. They'll wait for you to get home, if they understand a Dad who cares. And they will. :)

Received some excellent advice here, but was spotty, and as needed. Sometimes it was direct questions, sometimes reading post's. Don't think there's a template for learning it.....just use it as you feel in need for. Like now. :D

Excellent point maverick.

Sent from my SCH-i705 using EO Forums mobile app

fatmcrat

Rookie Expediter

oh yeah i know. my wife's dad is OTR with Pam. Not sure how long he has been with them, but i know quite a while. She is fine with me being gone. She is kind of use to it from the hellish hours i used to work. we worked different shifts and she had to take care of the kids by herself. I have family in the area that can help with any thing on the kids, and we have a great church family. Her family is just a hour away so thing's won't be so hectic. My son is 8 and very mature, he understands everything, but the only concern is my daughter who is about to turn 5.