Potentially Expediting

fatmcrat

Rookie Expediter
Hey guys,
I'm debating on expediting. I've been talking to a guy who drives for Expediters Services out of memphis. he hauls freight for Panther. He needs a co driver(last one got burnt out on trucking). guy seems clean cut and he is very picky bout his co-driver(no smoking, etc) He says he's doing pretty good money wise and he's actually thinking about purchasing his own truck and going at it alone eventually. He is in a 2012 Cascadia with autoshift. I'm trying to decide if I should be weary of this profession, or if there is some good money to be made. He said he comes home about every 3-4 weeks for a week and then goes back out. Just would like some advice. I'm getting mixed reviews from other places.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hey guys, I'm debating on expediting.

What piqued your interest in expediting? What are you currently doing, employment-wise? Have you ever run in a team operation? How often do you need to be home? Do you live relatively close to the other driver? We need to know a bit more about you before offering advice of any value.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Before you start a new career in air conditioning, paralegal, plumber, gunsmith or whatever you need a good education in the field to multiply your chances of success. For expediting that's a degree from EO university. You obtain that by reading every thread title for the last few years in the General, Newbie and Recruiter forums. Any title that sounds educational and applicable you open and read every word of the entire thread. Once you've gone back at least a few years you'll have enough foundation to know what you don't know and be able to ask all the questions you'll need answered to make the best decision. Good luck.

KickStarter6

Veteran Expediter
Before you start a new career in air conditioning, paralegal, plumber, gunsmith or whatever you need a good education in the field to multiply your chances of success. For expediting that's a degree from EO university. You obtain that by reading every thread title for the last few years in the General, Newbie and Recruiter forums. Any title that sounds educational and applicable you open and read every word of the entire thread. Once you've gone back at least a few years you'll have enough foundation to know what you don't know and be able to ask all the questions you'll need answered to make the best decision. Good luck.

Good lawd that a lot of reading! He'd be reading for 2-3 weeks lol

pwrwagn

Active Expediter
Isn't comparing driving a straight truck to a dr a little much?

How many doctors can hop in and drive a truck and not kill themselves or someone else?

My wife (an RN) has a T-shirt that says "Be nice, I'm the person who keeps the doctor from killing you".

zorry

Veteran Expediter
How many doctors can hop in and drive a truck and not kill themselves or someone else?

With today's easy to drive trucks, I would hope, most could do it.

The two stick, no power steering, no AC, Mack I drove, not as many. :)

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
You think that's a lot of work and prep for a career? How long does one study to become a paralegal or an a/c technician? If all you're interested in is being a steering wheel holder, and good luck to you making that viable long term, then I guess it's a lot. If your interest is becoming an O/O with a profitable business plan and career it's very little compared to some pursuits. The main point was/is that anyone not willing to put at least that much time and effort into it probably should be looking elsewhere anyway.

fatmcrat

Rookie Expediter
I'm turning 33 in 4 days and I have nothing to show for it. Been married for about 10 years and with 2 kids. I've had my class B's since I was 21. I drove for a local factory delivering parts around town, less than 20 miles a day usually. Drove a flatbed hauling lumber around our area to contractors. The drove for a tanker for LoJac doing paving. I've always enjoyed driving, and I have my permit for my A's, and I've drove a small route truck but I think driving a big rig isn't my cup of tea. I have no problems in a straight truck tho. I left a good job at Pepsi to be driving a feed truck, because I like driving. I was about 8 hours from home and I was legally out of hours for the day and told them that, they didn't care and they were trying to force me to alter my log books. Apparently they have a lot of altering books frequently. I told them I wasn't breaking law an they pretty much told me that if i didn't get back on the road then I had no job.

I came back home, umemployed, and got a placed by a local temp agency at a machine shop making about 6 dollars an hour less than what I was making. I have lost insurance on my family, and due to a certain someone, I can not afford it with my current wages. I am due to get hired fulltime in less than a month, and will get a dollar an hour raise, but I still won't be able to afford insurance.

I have always loved driving as a profession, but I have never been out on the road long than a day, always home nightly. The guy who needs a co-driver lives less than 10 miles from me and he is talking like he makes good money, but wants to get his own truck to make more money. I considered expediting in a van about 4 months ago but decided against it because the owner just gave me a bad vibe. I'm hoping to drive for about a year and get my own van and go at it alone next year.

My wifes dad drive for PAM and he stays out for 2-3 months at a time. He usually doesn't see my kids except for every christmas. I have no desire to stay out that much, but I have seen that most expediters get a week at home every 3-4 weeks, which is fine with me

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The harsh truth is that at your age your kids need both a father and mother at home all the time. When your kids are all at least 18 and on their own you can afford to be gone a month and then around for only a week. Younger kids need more than that.

fatmcrat

Rookie Expediter
LDB i understand that. And not being around my kids kills me to think of it. I've already talked to my son (8) about it and he understands it completely. But he is into scouts, basketball, and other things. Things that I think a dad should be there for. But if we never have the money to do anything(which is the case now) then we will have to cut back on the extra activities.

KickStarter6

Veteran Expediter
You think that's a lot of work and prep for a career? How long does one study to become a paralegal or an a/c technician? If all you're interested in is being a steering wheel holder, and good luck to you making that viable long term, then I guess it's a lot. If your interest is becoming an O/O with a profitable business plan and career it's very little compared to some pursuits. The main point was/is that anyone not willing to put at least that much time and effort into it probably should be looking elsewhere anyway.

Can you seriously not see a joke? Plus you comparing a 36 week program or doctorate to a reading this website. Y'all are way over selling the info on this site, it's mostly arguing between baby boomers

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
LDB i understand that. And not being around my kids kills me to think of it. I've already talked to my son (8) about it and he understands it completely. But he is into scouts, basketball, and other things. Things that I think a dad should be there for. But if we never have the money to do anything(which is the case now) then we will have to cut back on the extra activities.

Can you seriously not see a joke? Plus you comparing a 36 week program or doctorate to a reading this website. Y'all are way over selling the info on this site, it's mostly arguing between baby boomers

Y'all must forgive him, for he is from Texas. :rolleyes:

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
If you want to stay with your children stay. Work an extra part time if you have too.
As far as insurance the Affordable Care Act will save you.:p

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The Texas comment is meant as an insult to me not a comment to you.