Possibly some commonsense?

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Definitely. It is why places like EO can be so important to the future of the entire transportation industry. We have sites where other people will post important or current news for you but yet we are still not paying attention.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app

pearlpro

Expert Expediter
This is why I keep my elected reps, in my phone and email handy, If we all wanted to make a difference if they got one million drivers all calling saying REDO....I think they might listen, I stay active in these types of events and I know youve all seen my "rants" on Sleep Apnea, well this too has been on the radar and again if we all took time to write, call and do some personal lobbying of our own, things MIGHT change.....

Now with that said I was reading the comments from a Newspaper article about the Truckers Strike and the part about defunding Obamacare is bring LOTS of criticism of Truckers. Many folks are saying the Tea Trucker Party is a joke, even put up to the Strike by the Kochs, etc, I believe these guys have a gripe, people are ****ed off on both sides but lets keep our eye on the ball and not be pawns in the Political BS....WE WANT DETENTION PAY, A RETURN TO THE NORMAL HOS REGS, Let us see our own Family Doctor,LOWER FUEL PRICES and give truckers a seat at the table when these hairbrained laws are cooked up. LETS SEE ALL THE MEMBERS OF THE TRANSPORTATION COMMITTEE MEETING WITH REAL TRUCKERS IN TRUCKING TOWN HALLS, Remove and ease Onerous laws that hurt productivity and income....

Obamacare is gonna pass and no amount of Trucks parked anywhere is gonna change that...

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
WE WANT DETENTION PAY, A RETURN TO THE NORMAL HOS REGS, Let us see our own Family Doctor,LOWER FUEL PRICES

Detention pay is available, if you're not getting it you may want to look at other carriers. Which version of HOS would be normal? The half hour break isn't a huge burden on most operations. In our segment of the industry I think you'd be hard pressed to find anyone that's impacted in a truly bad way. A pain in the rear? Yeah, but a very minor one. The change to the 34 is more of a challenge, but as I've said before, prior to the previous HOS change there was no reset, so it's still a tool we have to help us. If you can't see your family doctor for a DOT physical, that's a carrier issue. Do you really want the government more involved in this department?

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Star, I disagree that the mandatory break is a minor issue, because it reduces the flexibility drivers need to take a break when circs warrant, not the clock, and the penalty for missing it [because there's no safe legal place to park] is just ludicrous. It seems minor, until you have to choose between mega rush hour traffic or risking running over to take the break on the other side of the city. I don't see a timeclock as a reasonable requirement in a situation where drivers have to contend with so many factors outside their control: detention, weather, traffic, construction, detours, and particularly the lack of parking during evening/night hours. When the penalty for running over by even a minute [which electronic logging will detect every time] being more severe than a DUI, it's not minor at all, when it happens.
And just as an aside: it's interesting that 30 minutes is sufficient for a break when you're a 'blue collar' worker, eh? It's not enough time to eat [properly] at all, and gobbling food in a hurry is not in our best interests.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Question:....IF you never used all your hrs up in a 7 day period.....why would a restart be necessary?.....

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
WE WANT DETENTION PAY, A RETURN TO THE NORMAL HOS REGS, Let us see our own Family Doctor,LOWER FUEL PRICES and give truckers a seat at the table when these hairbrained laws are cooked up....
Your last sentence certainly has merit. But most of these aren't issues in which the gummint has any say or in which sensible people want them to have any say. If you want a more sensible plan that would remedy things, put an end to the condition of truckers being paid by the mile while being regulated by the hour. That's certainly within the gummint's purview, being they're the ones doing the regulating. Have them put a stop to the theft inherent in the industry, again within their purview. But unfortunately, the other voices at the table get more attention than yours/ours. When there's money to be made, like the sleep study industry, what's right doesn't matter.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
say you only wanted 68 available?...

Huh? Is there a point you're trying to make?

I'm doing a reset right now, but I had something like 17 hrs left. It keeps me from having to watch the recap real close and possibly turn down a load due to a shortage of hours.

SHARP327

Veteran Expediter
Teams shouldn't even have to log in my opinion or we should have the split sleeper berth provision back.

Going down the road worrying about all the things that concern Drivers (no need for the list) is enough already...these rules distract me more than any thing else put together....enough is enough!

Last edited:

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
kinda goofy that people need to work 70 hrs a week just to make a living....why not budget 60 hours and never have to do a restart?

I don't make the rules, for one. For two, you would still need a restart, sooner or later, to have the 60.

It IS goofy to need 70 or even 60 hours hours a week to earn a living. One hour should be enough. Just pay me 6K for that hour and we will call it even!

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I don't make the rules, for one. For two, you would still need a restart, sooner or later, to have the 60.

It IS goofy to need 70 or even 60 hours hours a week to earn a living. One hour should be enough. Just pay me 6K for that hour and we will call it even!

I'd vote for that...