Portable Generator Securement

jrcarroll

Expert Expediter
Looking for ideas for securing a generator outside a van. I noticed that there were so many vans were using them when we were in Laredo but I really didn't check out how they keep them from getting legs and running off somewhere.

Also I was thinking that I should probably make a sealed box for storage for the generator & gas can on the inside of the van.

Big Al :D

Check out this site: Aluminum Van Bumpers - Aluminess Products, Inc
I,m going to use them on the next van I get..

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
one mans sprinter solution

says he and his dad made the metal box mounted on the buy-one-at-walmart-cargo-carrier. he runs his connection from the gen thru the firewall, under the carpet to his control center. he had a nice elec heater hanging off the rear of the passenger seat.

i put up a few more van/gen set photos under the community tab/photo gallery.

Last edited:

D Team Brothers

Expert Expediter
Why are you interested in any type of generator? Why the expense, weight, repairs, problems, etc? What do you need a gererator for, what is it going to be used for. Why not a properly installed inverter system? Just curious, Jack

Big Al

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Why are you interested in any type of generator? Why the expense, weight, repairs, problems, etc? What do you need a gererator for, what is it going to be used for. Why not a properly installed inverter system? Just curious, Jack

Have you had any luck running an A/C with a inverter? Does the inverter have enough watts to kick on the compressor. I know they have enough for running theA/C however, the startup on most A/C's requires a strong jolt.

Big Al :)

Big Al

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Hey JR,
The add on bumpers looked good but the prices are pretty high, $2375 for a swing out bumper is steep.
I think I will try to find someone locally to fabricate something like what was pictured.
Thanks for the link.

I actually am leaning towards a sturdy tray with side gussets secured to the back door with bolts through the door and a backing strip on the inside for reinforcement.
You would need to keep it under 1oo lbs but using a digital inverter generator this shouldn't be a problem.

stamp11127

Seasoned Expediter
I'm lazy and would do it the easy way - use this as a guide.
Yes I know it is a Jeep but the principal would apply.

jeep_cherswing.jpg

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
OK Stamp, i'll bite....who makes it and do you have a link....even the site where you got the pictures should work.....

Big Al

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Al,
That may play h*ll on the hinges.

Good point Greg. I'll have to check the structural integrity of the hinges and make a judgement call. As a retired Naval Engineering Officer that's important! That may be a good point to put it lower and closer to the hinge to maximize weight distribution. I hope to not exceed 100 lbs, probably will be closer to 85 lbs.

That rack on the jeep looks convenient; however, with it being in the open there will probably be quite a bit of vibration. I was thinking with a rack being secure to the door we'll minimize the vibration.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
AL,
The weight limit I understand is something like 40 pounds of sprung weight. The doors are light enough and the hinges are made to pivot on two points for the 270 opening.

The rack (ripped off from a landrover rack produced in the 60's I might add ;)) is the vibration could be a real concern with the single hinged point and no mount to secure the top of it. Most of the racks produced like this in the past had a single vertical post on and two hinges. A sprinter may be a bigger issue because if you need to open the door all the way, the rack may interfere with it. Remember the jeep pictured has a hatch that opens, not doors.

Have you thought of the RV solution or under the deck solution (Onan)?

Big Al

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
AL,
The weight limit I understand is something like 40 pounds of sprung weight. The doors are light enough and the hinges are made to pivot on two points for the 270 opening.

The rack (ripped off from a landrover rack produced in the 60's I might add ;)) is the vibration could be a real concern with the single hinged point and no mount to secure the top of it. Most of the racks produced like this in the past had a single vertical post on and two hinges. A sprinter may be a bigger issue because if you need to open the door all the way, the rack may interfere with it. Remember the jeep pictured has a hatch that opens, not doors.

Have you thought of the RV solution or under the deck solution (Onan)?

I have thought about the RV/Onan solution and also a Kohler makes a nice one;however,they are expensive and fuel distribution is a problem.
I have a RV A/C (Carrier 13500btu's) in my shop and also I have a 4KW Onan Propane generater in my shop but both seems too large & heavy for Sprinter.
Onan has had problems with the Microlite series which would be ideal for this size vehicle. I have a friend who has one in my area but it burns oil & Onan folks in Springfield MO gave up on it.
I am a little concerned about a front mount because of air flow to the engine under extreme conditions,i.e. Interstate 8 from Casa Grande to San Diego. I have thought about a roof top carrier and a ladder on the van door or just build a storage box for inside.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Al,
I stay away from almost anything propane, I don't beleive we can have a single fuel everything on board.

I would look at what I suggested, a 12 volt system from the generator to the A/C. Piper runs a 12 volt A/C unit and others also have them on their vans. I would look at this as a solution seeing you have fabrication experience.

stamp11127

Seasoned Expediter
I only posted it as an idea. The old CJ7's had a tire mount that was secured at 3 points and took a beating off road. Same idea would work here if built strong enough. Keep the weight low and close to the pivot point(s).

Here is the link, seems like big bucks but loose the genset while driving and your out some change. Even more if someone else is hurt from a bouncing genset.

$1168.99

Garvin IndustriesEXT Series Bumper System, 84-02 XJ Cherokee

Additional ideas:
RV Bumper Mount Cargo Carrier | ModMyRV

See the last one lower left, set it up to pivot on one of the corners.

Since Big Al said he can weld...