Police Harrassment

Yesteryear

Expert Expediter
VEHICLE CASE LAW

Vehicle Searches

A canine sniff of the exterior of a vehicle is not a search. The vehicle must be lawfully detained, such as a traffic stop, roadblock, etc.

If the vehicle is parked in a public place, random and suspicionless dog sniffs of the exterior is not a search.

An investigative stop and/or detention of a vehicle for an exterior canine sniff, must be supported by reasonable suspicion or consent. Drug courier profile, without more, does not create reasonable suspicion. Failure to consent to search cannot form any part of basis for reasonable suspicion.

If you tell a person that a canine unit or drug dog is being requested, the person is detained. Consent may not be requested.

Once the canine sniff produces a positive alert, this alert establishes probable cause.

Under the automobile exception to the search warrant requirement, all parts of the vehicle may be searched without a warrant.

The dog may be used for the interior search (after the positive canine alert on the exterior).

You may impound and tow the vehicle to a different location and continue the warrantless search of the vehicle there.

If, after a positive canine alert on the exterior of the vehicle, no contraband is located in the vehicle, you may conduct a “search incident to arrest” search of the occupants.

1) Detentions of vehicles while awaiting a K-9 sniff:

A) Ask for consent.

B) United States v Hardy (855 F. 2d 753 (1988) Eleventh Circuit

Discrepancies from the suspect(s) can be part of your reasonable suspicion. Do not confront the suspect(s) with their discrepancies. This allows them to change their story and once discrepancies are corrected, you may lose your reasonable suspicion.

C) United States v Dewitt (946 F. 2d 1497 (1991) Tenth Circuit

If consent is refused, you must have reasonable suspicion of unlawful activity to detain. The reasonable suspicion factors must establish the reasons for the detention. You must be able to articulate each observation that is a potential indicator of drug trafficking or use.

2) United States v Spetz (721 F. 2d 1457 (1983) Ninth Circuit

Detector dogs’ alert on a parked vehicle in a public place was reasonable suspicion of the presence of illegal drugs and was sufficient to justify a further dog sniff.

A dog sniff can supply probable cause necessary for issuing a search warrant only if sufficient reliability is established by application for the warrant.

Portion of search warrant affidavit stating that detector dog had alerted to a vehicle established probable cause to search the vehicle.

3) United States v Montoya de Hernandez (473 U. S. 531 (1985) U. S. Supreme Court

Consistent with Congress’ power to protect the nation by stopping and examining persons entering this country, the Fourth Amendment’s balance of reasonableness is qualitatively different at the international border than in the interior. Routine searches of persons and effects of entrants are not subject to any requirement of reasonable suspicion, probable cause or warrant.

Automotive travelers may be stopped at fixed checkpoints near the border without individualized suspicion, even if the stop is based largely on ethnicity, and boats on inland waters with ready access to the sea may be hailed and boarded with no suspicion whatsoever.

Expectation of privacy at an international border is less than in the interior.

4) United States v Dicesare (765 F. 2d 890 (1985) Ninth Circuit

Canine sniff of automobile trunk was not a search. Alerting to a suitcase in the trunk provided probable cause to search the defendant’s car and her apartment.

5) United States v Hamilton (792 F. 2d 837 (1986) Ninth Circuit

Agents’ search of a motor home parked in homeowner’s driveway fell within scope of vehicle exception to warrant requirement, where the motor home was moved the night before and had easy access to a public road, even when the motor home was connected to electrical utilities by means of an extension cord.

6) United States v Quinn (815 F. 2d 153 (1987) First Circuit

While officers were securing a house for a search warrant, suspects drove up to the house in a car. Officers developed reasonable suspicion that the defendants were about to commit or had committed a crime.

Based upon the reasonable suspicion, a canine sniff was done on the vehicle. The dog alerted to the trunk, which gave officers probable cause to search the vehicle.

7) United States v Rivera (825 F. 2d 152 (1987) Seventh Circuit

The automobile exception to the Fourth Amendment allows a warrantless search and seizure of a car as long as the search is justified by probable cause, even if the car is parked and stationary.

Law enforcement agent’s delays in the search of the car by removing it to a garage and sniff tested by narcotic detection dog and until another sniff test was conducted, were reasonable.

8) United States v Hardy (855 F. 2d 753 (1988) Eleventh Circuit

Trooper had reasonable suspicion justifying investigative stop of defendant’s automobile after he had given the driver warning for speeding.

Subjecting luggage in defendant’s automobile to a canine sniff did not exceed permissible scope of Terry stop. The sniff was an un-intrusive way in which to determine whether narcotics were in the luggage in the trunk.

Trooper acted with dispatch in obtaining trained dog and 50-minute delay did not invalidate the detention, particularly due to the trooper’s avoiding any questioning of the defendant’s during the waiting period.

9) United States v Stone (866 F. 2d 359 (1989) Tenth Circuit

Police use of a narcotics dog to sniff an automobile is not a search.

A warrantless search of narcotics suspect’s car was justified when a trained dog indicated existence of narcotics after jumping into car’s open hatchback and hatchback was not opened to permit dog to enter and dog was not encouraged to enter the car.

The defendant himself opened his vehicle and provided an opportunity for the dog to jump through the opening.

10) United States v De Soto (885 F. 2d 354 (1989) Seventh Circuit

Probable cause was established when a narcotics-sniffing dog reacted positively to presence of drugs in the rear of an automobile that arrived at defendant’s building.

11) United States v Dovali-Avila (895 F. 2d 206 (1990) Fifth Circuit

Mere alerting of a dog trained to alert on contraband or mere walking of the dog around a vehicle does not constitute a search.

Officers have probable cause to search a vehicle upon which a trained dog alerted to the presence of contraband in the bed of a truck.

12) United States v Maejia (928 F. 2d 810 (1991) Eighth Circuit

Otherwise valid traffic stop does not become unreasonable merely because officer believes the car is involved in transportation of drugs.

Once a trained police dog sniffed a vehicle for narcotics and gave a positive canine alert, that established probable cause to search the vehicle.

13) United States v Fiala (929 F. 2d 285 (1991) Seventh Circuit

One and one-half hour roadside detention of driver while troopers awaited arrival of drug sniffing dog was reasonable, where driver would have been detained anyway in county jail as a result of his arrest for driving without a valid license.

14) United States v Rodriguez-Morales (929 F. 2d 780 (1991) First Circuit

Canine sniff of the exterior of a vehicle, which is legitimately within the custody of police, is not a search.

Once the vehicle had legitimately been impounded pursuant to officers’ community care taking function, sniffing of the exterior of the vehicle by a drug detection dog was not a search.

15) United States v Taylor (934 F. 2d 218 (1991) Ninth Circuit

Border patrol agent’s observation that motorist became increasingly nervous and uneasy at end of initial check for illegal aliens constituted minimal, articulable suspicion necessary to justify brief further delay for dog sniff.

16) United States v Moralez (964 F. 2d 677 (1992) Seventh Circuit

Defendant voluntarily consented to search of automobile where defendant verbally consented three times and the officer told the defendant that a police dog would be used to assist searching the vehicle. The dog alerted to one spare tire and the defendant verbally consented to removing the tire from the rim.

17) United States v Morales-Zamora (974 F. 2d 149 (1992) Tenth Circuit

A “pretextual stop” occurs if police use legal justification to make stop when true purpose of stop is to search person or vehicle for unrelated and more serious crime for which police lack reasonable suspicion necessary to support stop.

Evidence in this case showed that primary reason for roadblock stop of defendant’s vehicle was not to check her driver’s license, but to ascertain, with the aid of narcotics detection dog, whether defendant possessed drugs, and thus, stop was pretextual and all that occurred after stop was tainted.

A roadblock set up for sole purpose of subjecting all stopped vehicles to a canine sniff violated Fourth Amendment.

(See City of Indianapolis v Edmond)

18) United States v Barbee (968 F. 2d 1026 (1992) Tenth Circuit

Dog sniff of vehicle for narcotics was not a search where vehicle was already lawfully seized.

Based upon the canine alert, once this gave agents probable cause to search luggage carried in vehicle, no warrant was necessary under the automobile exception.

Automobile exception allowed warrantless search of all containers in automobile.

19) United States v Hernandez (976 F. 2d 929 (1992) Fifth Circuit

Canine sniff of exterior of car referred by border patrol agent in secondary inspection area is not a search.

Agent had probable cause to search vehicle for narcotics when the vehicle had been properly stopped and a dog performing sniff test had alerted to the presence of drugs.

20) United States v Seals (987 F. 2d 1102 (1993) Fifth Circuit

Dog sniff is not a search. Officers do not need reasonable suspicion to conduct an exterior vehicle sniff.

Initial alert by dog during dog sniff, when a dog jumped up on driver’s side window, which officer interpreted as an alert on the interior of the vehicle, gave officers probable cause to search the passenger compartment.

When dog alerted to a box in the trunk, probable cause extended to the entire vehicle and all containers therein.

21) United States v Hatley (15 F. 3d 856 (1994) Ninth Circuit

The automobile exception to the warrant requirement applies to search of inoperable car parked on defendant’s property, where car was parked in driveway and was apparently mobile.

Officers are not required to ascertain functional capacity of vehicle in order to satisfy exigency requirement of vehicle exception to warrant requirement.

22) United States v Chavira (9 F. 3d 888 (1993) Tenth Circuit

Although consent or reasonable suspicion is not required for dog-sniff of legally detained vehicle, it is required for continued detention beyond lawful period.

Defendant’s consent to dog sniff of vehicle amounted to consent to resulting brief detention.

When dog alerts to vehicle, officers have probable cause to search it.

23) United States v Ludwig (10 F. 3d 1523 (1993) Tenth Circuit

Police officer’s entry of motel parking lot with dog for a canine sniff of vehicles parked in the lot was not a search.

Random and suspicionless dog sniffs of vehicles in motel parking lot was not a search.

Dog alert gave agents’ probable cause to search trunk of automobile.

Under the automobile exception to warrant requirement, if police have probable cause to search a car, no warrant is required even when police have time and opportunity.

24) United States v Jeffus (22 F. 3d 554 (1994) Fourth Circuit

Regardless of motive behind vehicle stop, the defendant’s vehicle failed to have proper safety devices and was justifiably stopped.

A dog sniff of the exterior of the vehicle during this stop was not a search. When the dog alerted to the car, the officer had probable cause to search.

The 15 minute period prior to the K-9 sniff during the traffic stop was reasonable.

25) United States v Sukiz-Grado (22 F. 3d 1006 (1994) Tenth Circuit

Dog’s alert behavior while sniffing vehicle’s exterior provided probable cause to believe the vehicle contained contraband and justified dog search of vehicle’s interior.

Last edited:

Yesteryear

Expert Expediter
wow.

I'm gonna pull a mitt romney here:

Care to put your $13k emergency fund against mine that you're wrong?

Before you decide, take a look at the last two characters of my screen name, and know that i'm pretty versed on detection dogs and the fourth amendment.

Please, put the shovel down and take dave's advice: Stop trying so hard to be offended. I don't believe anyone's trying to be your enemy here, myself included.

You are way wrong on this issue.

I am curious, though....does your husband read these posts?
Posted with my droid eo forum app

YES I AM OFFENDED! Ok so you have a dog in your truck. So do I however that obviously doesn't make me an expert in dog behavior!

And yes I did ask him if I was correct in if the canine alerted that it gave probable cause for a search and he said yes!

Last edited:

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Firstly Cheri, the post was not about bad cops.
If it was I would have agreed there are bad cops.

Wait - you know there are bad cops, but you didn't believe it happened? Why not?

Secondly, I state "Sounds like your freind likes to make up stories OR is only telling a small fraction of the actual story" I did not say he did, I said it sounds like he did!

And that he should be more careful about who he befriends - you had no call to say that.

I did not attack anyone! I gave my opinion which I was under the impression that this is what this forum was for us to all share our opinion!

Thirdly, yes I pretty much will always side on the side of the law. Just the way it is. And yes I have run into and have known some bad people that should not be cops, but that doesn't mean I am going to assume every bad thing I hear is the truth.

It sounds like you are going to assume every bad thing you hear is a lie, and that's just as wrong. If you jump to the defense of every cop, every time, people will disregard your opinion as biased, because we know there are bad cops.
What I'm saying is you have the right to question the story, but when you question the OP's judgment in friends, that was out of bounds.

Yesteryear

Expert Expediter
Firstly Cheri, the post was not about bad cops.
If it was I would have agreed there are bad cops.

Wait - you know there are bad cops, but you didn't believe it happened? Why not?

Secondly, I state "Sounds like your freind likes to make up stories OR is only telling a small fraction of the actual story" I did not say he did, I said it sounds like he did!

And that he should be more careful about who he befriends - you had no call to say that.

I did not attack anyone! I gave my opinion which I was under the impression that this is what this forum was for us to all share our opinion!

Thirdly, yes I pretty much will always side on the side of the law. Just the way it is. And yes I have run into and have known some bad people that should not be cops, but that doesn't mean I am going to assume every bad thing I hear is the truth.

It sounds like you are going to assume every bad thing you hear is a lie, and that's just as wrong. If you jump to the defense of every cop, every time, people will disregard your opinion as biased, because we know there are bad cops.
What I'm saying is you have the right to question the story, but when you question the OP's judgment in friends, that was out of bounds.

What kind of statement is that! Of course I am biased! That is a given and established fact but it doesn't mean that I am wrong on this issue! :rolleyes:

As for the "friend" comment, I concede on that one as it doesn't sound like what I meant when I go back and look at it. What I am saying is that this is a person the poster does not really know. It is someone he just meet. A person can be anyone for a time but that does not mean they are who you are preceiving them to be. (not nessacarily this person but in general). Just because we spend one day with someone does not mean we know them or what kind of person they are. Take John Boyer for instance, I am sure a lot of people meet him and thought he was a nice person. Or what about John Fautenberry bet he sat in a petro and talked with other drivers who thought he was a swell guy. Just because we meet someone out here that talks a good game doesn't mean they are always a good person.

Last edited:

Pianoguy

Seasoned Expediter
I remember years ago having my truck searched at the West Memphis scale. We were hauling parts for Raytheon and the cop tripped over a small crate that was nailed to the floor. So he got ****ed and kicked it loose then out onto the ground, the tip n tells went bizerk.

Just so happened that that crate had a million dollar plus lense in it for a spy satellite. I had to go testify in court about what I saw and it really was a fabulous experience listening to them make up a story about how the crate wound up 20 feet from the trailer on a sealed load. A MIRACLE !

Always make them get a warrant, even if they take you to jail at least there is a record of it.

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
My friend and I were pulled over many years ago in I-75 in Houston County, GA, where we were sited for "speeding." (He said we were doing 69 in a 55 zone. My friend had the car on cruise at 55 the entire time.) He seemed VERY nervous with his hand firmly on his sidearm, as he even made initial contact with us, asking for identification. We were then asked to exit the vehicle while backup was called. The charge of speeding was then used as reasonable cause to search our vehicle for drugs. We had been traveling from Atlanta to Tampa on a Sunday afternoon, after spending a few days with friends. We were delayed approx. an hour, while they pulled everything out of our trunk, looking for dope. All we had in the trunk was a couple of suit bags and a Bible. They finally let us go.

Ten days later, a local newspaper ran an article about cops profiling travelers on I-95. They were issuing fabricated tickets in order to search vehicles. Stops were made based on ethnicity, age and type of vehicle, along with domicile of the plate on the car.

Lots of cops do this, and they do it ALL the time.

Cops have stopped me when I was still driving a straight truck. (Not DOT cops, mind you.) NC State Police pulled me over to do a "routine driver check." They flipped through my log book so fast, it was obvious they didn't even know how to read one, or what they were looking for. They glanced at my license and sent me along my way. It was obvious that all he really wanted to do was stand on my running board so he could see into my truck.

PreacherRich

Seasoned Expediter
Wow, this post has been exciting! Yesteryear we love ya even if you're quite defensive to your mutating position. Tell your husband thanks for serving. I love cops, my daughter married one and my nephew is the county sherriff way up north.

I am still a little tweaked about these two officers and the way they treated my friend. Seems like it is a case of a couple over aggressive Springfield Police officers who were trying for the big score but targeted a guy that ended up clean. Believe it or not it is up to you, but I have no reason to doubt him.

There was actually a few good tidbits of info in this post that could be used if we encounter the same situation, which is why I posted. Be blessed all!

(Got a load from St Louis to Detroit took I-57 instead of I-55 just to be safe!) :)

Last edited:

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
VEHICLE CASE LAW

Vehicle Searches

A canine sniff of the exterior of a vehicle is not a search. The vehicle must be lawfully detained, such as a traffic stop, roadblock, etc.

If the vehicle is parked in a public place, random and suspicionless dog sniffs of the exterior is not a search.

An investigative stop and/or detention of a vehicle for an exterior canine sniff, must be supported by reasonable suspicion or consent. Drug courier profile, without more, does not create reasonable suspicion. Failure to consent to search cannot form any part of basis for reasonable suspicion.

If you tell a person that a canine unit or drug dog is being requested, the person is detained. Consent may not be requested.

Once the canine sniff produces a positive alert, this alert establishes probable cause.

Under the automobile exception to the search warrant requirement, all parts of the vehicle may be searched without a warrant.

7) United States v Rivera (825 F. 2d 152 (1987) Seventh Circuit

The automobile exception to the Fourth Amendment allows a warrantless search and seizure of a car as long as the search is justified by probable cause, even if the car is parked and stationary.

21) United States v Hatley (15 F. 3d 856 (1994) Ninth Circuit

The automobile exception to the warrant requirement applies to search of inoperable car parked on defendant’s property, where car was parked in driveway and was apparently mobile.

Notice that the US Constitution contains no exception to the prohibition on such searches. You have probable cause/you swear out an affidavit for a warrant/if one is granted, the government may search. Any deviation is tyranny, and any cop doing so is a POS and himself a criminal.

--

You know the problem with bad cops? They make the other 5% look bad.

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
From my personal experience; An officer asking "if I would mind if he took a peek in my vehicle" means, if you say ok, that you may have absolutely everything in your vehicle moved, checked, opened, asked about for three hours, and THEN have a dog roam all about the exterior & interior of your vehicle checking everything again.

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER give an officer PERMISSION to look in your vehicle! Such a refusal is NOT probable cause.

And, even more importantly, remember that if your are stopped, make SURE that officer states clearly why you are being stopped. If the reason he/she gives is bogus, "everything they discovered after that is TAINTED", meaning they cannot successfully win a conviction on anything else if the reason for the stop was bogus.

My other job is my position as an county commissioner and my info comes from the sheriff's department, the prosecutor's office, and a circuit court judge. Obviously I checked into this extensively after enduring a bogus stop in Austin, TX and subsequent exhaustive search, which I NEVER should have consented to. I thought why not allow a "peek"? What a fool I was. . . once.

NEVER consent to a search of any kind. SHUT UP and don't give them a "reason" that they could try to claim probable cause.

Back to the "peek" search . . . of course nothing was found and it did take hours to get my Sprinter back in order.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Well my new friend heading to Chicago got stopped in Springfield, IL by some officers that appearantly should have chosen a different career. They were convinced that my friend was running drugs or something, they removed him from the vehicle physically shook him, had him sit on the ground for an hour and a half while they completely shredded his van, pulled all his personal belongings apart, his bunk got disassembled and everything turned upside down. When the officers couldnt find anything they told my friend "You may have gotten lucky this time but we will get you next time". He asked them to speak with their supervisor and they refused.

After being allowed back in his totally trashed van he immediately hit his OnStar button and got ahold of the shift supervisor and spent a half hour on the phone explaining what happened and the fear he had about running into those officers again after their "We'll get you next time" threat. The shift boss gave him a number to call in case he was ever pulled over again in that area and my friend spent the rest of the day Monday putting himself and his van back together after arriving in Chicago after daylight.

So, after all this is over, he calls OnStar? LOL... What's that about? That's a pretty big BS red flag to me. Also, why would he think he couldn't talk to a supervisor just because they said no? Anyone with a bit of common sense would have been to the cop headquarters looking into filing a complaint, and if this happened in the evening I'd have gone in the next morning hoping that the big bosses would be there. There was a mention of dashcams and that would certainly be something that would work in his favor, if this happened as described.

I've been through a "we just wanna search you" traffic stop. It was on I40 heading east out of Memphis, which as most of you know, is patrolled regularly by cops looking for drugs. I was stopped for "driving aggressively" in my 30 foot class A motorhome, towing a car on my tow dolly. They even gave me a written warning for that. He asked permission and it was denied. He had already called the K9 unit, it arrived about the time he asked permission. He told the other officer that I seemed nervous and he agreed. You know what? I was! I'm there because of a bogus stop and I'm just not sure what's going to happen! They took the dog around 3 times and there was no hit. He then briefly explained that a lot of drug shipments go through that area and they intend to get as many of them as they can. He told me to have a nice day and off I went.

Sure, there are bad cops out there. Is it possible that the search happened as this guy described it? Sure... But, I'm more inclined to believe that it wasn't quite as described.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
There is a high probability of a little "enhancement"...LOL..:p

Oh yeah - the more 'accounts' we read of encounters with LEOs, the more cynical we get about the 'enhancements' - that's unavoidable. We've pushed for the real story enough to be pretty sure it's not all included in the first telling.....
My point was that it's ok to question the 'facts', but when you say the writer should "be more cautious in who you befriend" and "gotta love these stories from the bad guys prespective [sic]", that's attacking the person, and that's crossing the line.
I didn't want to make a big deal of it, just a reminder to pay attention to what we say.
So is the law clear on whether a 'hit' from a drug sniffing dog constitutes probable cause to search, or not? If so, does that law cover every LEO, in every situation?
I don't think it would be a problem for most of us, but even the dogs make mistakes, and I wouldn't want to consent to a search if it weren't required - not after what I've read!

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
As I said earlier, you still have to have probably cause, contrary to another post. Now of course, that can be abused, but as I mentioned earlier, it is tougher through the use of a dash-cam.
Still a lot of abuse either through simple Barney Fifes to promotional cash grabs that cities enforce or incentivize to their officers.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
:
Keep in mind that in some states, Illinois and Maryland for sure, and I think Massachusetts, and the District of Columbia, recording a cop surreptitiously will land you in hot water.

--

You know the problem with bad cops? They make the other 5% look bad.

I usually don't respond to these but back to the recorder. As I stated about myself and my drivers about recording conversations, If and when they record a conversation, after the conversation concludes you tell the other party that the conversation has been recorded. Comes under the same statue as the officer filming and recording you from a dash cam. Nothing done in secret or otherwise.
Wrong or right doesn't matter, thats what we do.
Just to many lawyers driving trucks.:rolleyes:

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
One more comment about Police. I also was born and raised in Chicago and know the system. It's funny but I would much rather be stopped by a Chicago Cop than the Barney Fife. You can talk to a large city cop and reason with them much easier then the small town cop. Just my opinion and experience. Sir and Maam goes along way to cooling a situation with a cop. Not always but most times. Body language and how you greet a cop also goes along way.

"How ya doin Officer?":D

"What do you want?":mad:

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
2) United States v Spetz (721 F. 2d 1457 (1983) Ninth Circuit

Detector dogs’ alert on a parked vehicle in a public place was reasonable suspicion of the presence of illegal drugs and was sufficient to justify a further dog sniff.

A dog sniff can supply probable cause necessary for issuing a search warrant only if sufficient reliability is established by application for the warrant.

Portion of search warrant affidavit stating that detector dog had alerted to a vehicle established probable cause to search the vehicle.

A dog sniff does not allow the cop to go carte blanche on the vehicle UNTIL they get a warrant. usak9 is right.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
:Just to many lawyers driving trucks.:rolleyes:

Knowing your rights does not make one a lawyer. In fact, if you don't know your rights, you don't have any rights.

I do know this from my "self-proclaimed lawyer training"... police officers have bonds, just like truckers. If you are denied your civil rights, (again, you need to know these) you can go after the officer's bond in FEDERAL court. So if these so-called peace officers decide they have probable cause because you don't consent, and commence to trashing your vehicle, you might have just won the Policeman's Bond Lottery. Just make sure you get the cop's name and/or badge number. Just to make sure, ask to see his ID (which he lawfully has to provide), as some cops who KNOW they are doing wrong like to put on fake name tags/badges.

PreacherRich

Seasoned Expediter
There is a high probability of a little "enhancement"...LOL..:p

Keep in mind I had a 10 minute conversation about a 90 minute event, wrote this post at 3am in a Denny's 8-10 hours after my conversation with my friend. Wrote down as much as I could remember. Don't think I "enhanced" anything but I am sure there is much that my friend could add. Maybe he will do that some day...

Last edited:

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I would think that after ninety minutes of having his vehicle turned inside out and the officers found nothing, it might have been a wee bit premature to call the guy a "bad guy" anyway. Around my neck of the woods, you're supposed to be innocent until proven guilty, and the story as written here fails to establish that the guy who was pulled over did anything wrong-- except drive through Springfield while these officers were looking to stir up some trouble.

As it happens, I drove through Springfield--- two of them, as a matter of fact, one in Missouri and the other here in Illinois-- this week, outbound and back, and had no trouble. Whether the cops in question here were on duty when I came through town or not I wouldn't be knowing. I just got back home this morning and opened this up to see this discussion.