Police Harrassment

Yesteryear

Expert Expediter
If they have a warrant or a dog alert, consent is irrelevant. Consent is when you're approving the search absent a warrant or articulable cause. According to civil rights lawyers, the proper response is, "I do not consent to any search. Am I free to go?"

--

You know the problem with bad cops? They make the other 5% look bad.

Amonger this is the correct response. And if they do not have a canine unit available, unless they want to say they smell something in your vehicle (not all cops are honest) or have reason to place you under arrest they must cut you loose. I have never understood why some of these idiots agree to the search. :D

usafk9

Veteran Expediter
Your assertion that a positive response by a drug dog is an automatic green light for a search is false. All that provides is probable cause for the search warrant.

Further, using Chicago cops to lend hubby some street cred is laughable. Did he have to learn how to flash gang signs during pre-shift lineup before he retired? IMO, AMonger's signatory says it best about Chicago cops.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Your assertion that a positive response by a drug dog is an automatic green light for a search is false. All that provides is probable cause for the search warrant.

Further, using Chicago cops to lend hubby some street cred is laughable. Did he have to learn how to flash gang signs during pre-shift lineup before he retired? IMO, AMonger's signatory says it best about Chicago cops.

That is correct on the police dog. That doesn't give a automatic green light to a search. Maybe in Chicago?:rolleyes:

As for Chicago, it has a rich history of corruption that goes back decades. A google search will bring more hits than one could read in a day.

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
Amonger, my husband left the department 5 years ago. He still talks almost daily to his friends in the department. Including childhood friends that are currently Chicago police officers today. He was an officer for a long time to include patrol officer, narcotics and prostitution detective, and homicide detective. Also, including holding the position of police chief for 7 years. So unless you can top his credentials I think I will choose to believe him over you. Charming ahhhhh yes I am aren't I lol :p naive, after 23 years as an officers wife, nawww, I don't think so! :D

Well, sure, you'd believe him over me. But you're not exactly neutral, you know? The news reports present a more objective study.

--

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
Way to go! That is absolutely the correct answer and the correct action! Not all cops are good and there are bad ones! Even hubby agrees with purgoose! :D

Hubby even suggested to me that a recorder for some of these DOT officers might just be the thing. We absolutely cannot believe their behaviors or how they get away with it! :)

Keep in mind that in some states, Illinois and Maryland for sure, and I think Massachusetts, and the District of Columbia, recording a cop surreptitiously will land you in hot water.

--

AMonger

Veteran Expediter

OFFICIALLY, that's correct. But what happens in real life is another matter. They WILL pull your @$$ out of the car, van, or truck and strew your belongings all over the pavement.

--

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
OFFICIALLY, that's correct. But what happens in real life is another matter. They WILL pull your @$$ out of the car, van, or truck and strew your belongings all over the pavement.

--

I am sure that is true, but I have to think there is less of it because of the police dash cams.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Way to go! That is absolutely the correct answer and the correct action! Not all cops are good and there are bad ones! Even hubby agrees with purgoose! :D

Bit of backpeddling there - first it was "I would wager this didn't happen" and "You need to be more cautious about who you befriend" and either Preacher Rich or his friend was misrepresenting it, because "Cops don't do that"
and now it's "Not all cops are good" ?
We already know that, and so did you, so maybe you should apologize for giving the OP so much grief.

Hubby even suggested to me that a recorder for some of these DOT officers might just be the thing. We absolutely cannot believe their behaviors or how they get away with it! :)

I know there are bad cops, and good ones - I've run into both kinds.
When we need to carry a recorder in the course of our daily lives [to prove our innocence] this country is in pretty serious trouble, methinks.

Yesteryear

Expert Expediter

uhhhmm actually my husband was also leaders of the gang unit for about a year and taught the drug class to the cadets. And was an fto officer and I don't appreciate your remarks! You my friend are wrong. If the dog hits on your car it gives the officer the right to search the car without your consent and he does not have to have a warrant! Know what your talking about before you become a pundit! I know a lot of good honest hard working police officers including a number of Chicago officers. My husband not only started his career in Chicago but was born and raised there!

BigCat

Expert Expediter
Actually they can't search because a hit. They can stop you for probable cause but still have to have a warrant to search.

I had a dog hit on my car because of a bag of burger king. I refused a search after removing the bag the dog was going nuts and they told me to leave. The k-9 units aren't perfect and prove nothing.

Yesteryear

Expert Expediter

Bit of backpeddling there - first it was "I would wager this didn't happen" and "You need to be more cautious about who you befriend" and either Preacher Rich or his friend was misrepresenting it, because "Cops don't do that"
and now it's "Not all cops are good" ?
We already know that, and so did you, so maybe you should apologize for giving the OP so much grief.

I know there are bad cops, and good ones - I've run into both kinds.
When we need to carry a recorder in the course of our daily lives [to prove our innocence] this country is in pretty serious trouble, methinks.

Absolutely not Cheri, I never said there are not "bad" cops! I said that I seriously doubt the scenario happened as described! And I stand by that just as I stand by the absolute FACT that if the dog hits on your car the officer does have the right and WILL search your car! Any of you can believe what you want but that is a FACT!

As for the officers disassembling his van that is hogwash! They do not have the equipment with them to do that. They would have had to find something in the van before they would have disassembled anything as they would be checking to see if there was more before going that far and the car would have been towed to an impound lot before being disassembled! Sorry, you folks might know about expediting but this you don't seem to know much about!

Yesteryear

Expert Expediter
That is correct on the police dog. That doesn't give a automatic green light to a search. Maybe in Chicago?:rolleyes:

As for Chicago, it has a rich history of corruption that goes back decades. A google search will bring more hits than one could read in a day.

Dave there are bad cops no matter where it is! Chicago, Cincinatti, Detroit, Toledo, New York, New Orleans, Miami, ect! Google any city for bad police officers and you will find them just like there are bad lawyers, judges, politicians, waitresses, store clerks, and yes even expedite drivers! That is just a fact! However there are a lot of good hard-working men and women also that are honest and do their the best job they can to up-hold the law and protect the citizens! To say all cops are bad because they are Chicago cops is wrong and un-true.

And making a disparaging comment about my husband like usafk9 did about gang signs is a little out of line! Amonger, and obviously others here, may not like police officers but it is no reason to start throwing insults at me. I have not insulted anyone here and should be shown the same courtesy. I am correct about the dogs. Do a little research on it and you will see who is right on this! :eek:

Bruno, if some of your family members are police officers call and ask them weather they have the right to search a car that the canine has hit on! :rolleyes:

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yesteryear go back to the last line of your original post. You were quick to call the OP's friend guilty without knowing anything about them.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Absolutely not Cheri, I never said there are not "bad" cops! I said that I seriously doubt the scenario happened as described!

And a few other disparaging comments regarding the character and truthfulness of the friend, because "cops can't do that" and "cops don't do that", followed by a defense of cops. Only when a few others added comments and links to the contrary, did you admit that some cops are bad. But you didn't apologize for the disrespect in the first post, which was uncalled for.

And I stand by that just as I stand by the absolute FACT that if the dog hits on your car the officer does have the right and WILL search your car! Any of you can believe what you want but that is a FACT!

I can't say one way or the other, as I have no idea.

As for the officers disassembling his van that is hogwash! They do not have the equipment with them to do that. They would have had to find something in the van before they would have disassembled anything as they would be checking to see if there was more before going that far and the car would have been towed to an impound lot before being disassembled! Sorry, you folks might know about expediting but this you don't seem to know much about!

How much equipment does it take to make a pretty big mess, tossing every last item in the van outside on the ground? Only the bunk was disassembled, and that could be done with a screwdriver - the rest was just 'trashed'.
And I've heard enough accounts of the same treatment to believe it can and does happen.
It's natural for you to see it from the LEO's point of view, but it doesn't help to disrespect folks who may have had a rough time from a cop who wasn't one of the good guys.

Yesteryear

Expert Expediter
Yesteryear go back to the last line of your original post. You were quick to call the OP's friend guilty without knowing anything about them.

Scott, I was going by the scenario described. What I was saying is this is a person the poster had obviously just meet! Is this not correct? He did state that he "meet" a couple of drivers and they spent that day togeather? Now, obviously the poster was not present and did not witness any of the events posted. It is a second hand accounting of what was suppose to have happened. I am saying I believe the person that the poster meet and got this story from greatly embellished it or that it simply did not happen in way it was told to the poster!

Yesteryear

Expert Expediter
Absolutely not Cheri, I never said there are not "bad" cops! I said that I seriously doubt the scenario happened as described!

And a few other disparaging comments regarding the character and truthfulness of the friend, because "cops can't do that" and "cops don't do that", followed by a defense of cops. Only when a few others added comments and links to the contrary, did you admit that some cops are bad. But you didn't apologize for the disrespect in the first post, which was uncalled for.

And I stand by that just as I stand by the absolute FACT that if the dog hits on your car the officer does have the right and WILL search your car! Any of you can believe what you want but that is a FACT!

I can't say one way or the other, as I have no idea.

How much equipment does it take to make a pretty big mess, tossing every last item in the van outside on the ground? Only the bunk was disassembled, and that could be done with a screwdriver - the rest was just 'trashed'.
And I've heard enough accounts of the same treatment to believe it can and does happen.
It's natural for you to see it from the LEO's point of view, but it doesn't help to disrespect folks who may have had a rough time from a cop who wasn't one of the good guys.

Firstly Cheri, the post was not about bad cops. If it was I would have agreed there are bad cops. Secondly, I state "Sounds like your freind likes to make up stories OR is only telling a small fraction of the actual story" I did not say he did, I said it sounds like he did!

I did not attack anyone! I gave my opinion which I was under the impression that this is what this forum was for us to all share our opinion!
Thirdly, yes I pretty much will always side on the side of the law. Just the way it is. And yes I have run into and have known some bad people that should not be cops, but that doesn't mean I am going to assume every bad thing I hear is the truth.

Last edited:

usafk9

Veteran Expediter
Wow.

I'm gonna pull a Mitt Romney here:

Care to put your $13k emergency fund against mine that you're wrong?

Before you decide, take a look at the last two characters of my screen name, and know that I'm pretty versed on detection dogs and the Fourth Amendment.

Please, put the shovel down and take Dave's advice: stop trying so hard to be offended. I don't believe anyone's trying to be your enemy here, myself included.

You are way wrong on this issue.

I am curious, though....does your husband read these posts?