Pilot to buy Flying J - could it be true!

gjmcclain

Not a Member
So I am sitting down having dinner tonight outside Cleveland Ohio this evening when I see a guy sit in the next table over.

I notice he has a Pilot name tag and ask if he is the manager. He says no but says he is the district manager.

We get talking and he tells me that Pilot is going to make an offer to purchase Flying J when Flying J officially goes on the market Monday.

He added that while Flying J is in bankruptcy they have apparently decided to sell off the truck stop side of their business to concentrate and salvage the exploration, drilling and refining side of their corporation.

If this is true and it actually happens - this is a huge victory I believe for all truckers!

Saturnista

Seasoned Expediter
I concur. If it happens.

When I was told by a Flying J employee that they as a company don't accept comdata cards or comchecks, I decided I wasn't going there anymore.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
As a vanner I hope it doesn't happen....where will we get our showers...the new TA program sux...and Pilots and petros even worse....

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
With the MAJOR discounts at T/A through Comdata and TChek cards I could care less what they do unless after the purchase both Pilot/J institute similar excellent discounts.

jcoulson

Expert Expediter
How can this be a big victory for truck drivers. What really does Pilot offer us??? A Wendys....Arbys. At least the Js have half way decent resaurants, places to set up your laptops, TV rooms,and clean bathrooms

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
How can this be a big victory for truck drivers. What really does Pilot offer us??? A Wendys....Arbys. At least the Js have half way decent resaurants, places to set up your laptops, TV rooms,and clean bathrooms

Time will tell if this happens,,,only the pilot would let such nice buildings go to waste:(

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The reason Flying J doesn't take Comdata is a result of a long history of legal disputes between the two parties. Basically, Comdata doesn't want to process the Flying J Fleet cards as fleet cards in the same manner that they process their own cards (and others) at non-Flying J locations. And, Flying J wants to charge Comdata more than Comdata wants to pay for installing Comdata networks at Flying J locations. This has been going on in the courts since 1996. The judge keeps ruling, generally, in Flying J's favor, but Comdata keeps interpreting the rulings on how to implement the changes in such a manner that the judge did not intend, so back to court it goes. It's very complicated and has to deal with how transactions are electronically processed on two fronts, the point-of-sale and the fleet card processing.

In 2001 Flying J was awarded $49 million in damages to be paid by Comdata in the antitrust suit. Comdata announced they would comply (Comdata Settles Litigation with Flying J 2001), and then promptly refused to comply.

In 2005 they judge re-awarded Flying J the settlement, and clarified how Comdata was to proceed. Comdata has yet to comply.

Basic explanation can be found in the last paragraph here:
Flying J Inc. -- Company History

Full details of the decision (of which the basics are in the first paragraph) here:
Comdata Settles Litigation with Flying J 2005
If you read the entire decision, your head will just explode.

As for Flying J selling their core cashflow cash cow business, that of the truck stops, in favor of the far more risky business of oil and gas exploration and refining, it could happen, but it's unlikely, especially since the purchase of a couple of pipelines and the Bakersfield refinery that coincided with the spike in crude oil prices is what put them unto Chapter 11 in the first place.

More likely is that they put the Bakersfield refinery, along with the Big West Oil LLC subsidiary that runs it, on the market. Big West as retained Deutsche Bank Securities Inc. as their financial advisor in the sale process.

The first week of May Flying J issued a restructuring update that said, in part:

"Overall, our restructuring efforts are progressing well. The process is slow and is certainly challenging all of us to remain patient. A major accomplishment has been the completion of our business plan for the next five years. The business plan is helping our creditors better understand our business and is an essential tool for formulating strategies to emerge from bankruptcy."

It added, "We are continuing separate processes to sell both the Longhorn Pipeline and the Bakersfield Refinery. We have contracted with investment bankers to assist in those processes. Interest in both assets has been good, but there is still much work to do. We are following the established procedures for selling assets during a bankruptcy case which takes some additional time. Nevertheless, we hope to have both of these sales finalized during the summer. We also have several parcels of excess land near some of our operating travel plazas that are for sale.... Contrary to rumors you may have heard no sales of other core assets are in the process at this time."

The update concluded with a request that employees "be mindful of the company resources. If you see a way to be more efficient, bring it to the attention of a manager or supervisor. If 14,000 employees all help save $5 per day, it will add up to a large sum."

They are also trimming hours on foodservice in their stores, some of them, anyway. The Flying J Travel Plaza, in Emporia, Kansas, has shortened its foodservice hours because of the economy, reported by the The Emporia Gazette. Foodservice hours at the plaza previously ran 24 hours a day. Now the restaurant will close from midnight to 5:00 a.m. Sunday through Thursday. The restaurant will stay open all night on Fridays and Saturdays.

The TA in Madison did the same thing, I noticed.

CVC Capital Partners acquired a 47.5% stake in Pilot Travel Centers, which enabled the sale of Marathon Petroleum's interests in Pilot Travel Centers, which owned a significant percentage of Pilot ever since Pilot Corporation merged with Marathon to form the new Pilot Travel Centers in 2001. In 2003 Pilot acquired the Williams Travel Centers. Pilot also has partnered up with the 23 travel center locations of Road Ranger, effectively turning all the Road Rangers into Pilots. The Road Ranger convenient stores are still owned by Road Ranger, but everything else is Pilot.

At all the new Pilot locations, and the ones they are upgrading, you will find Denny's restaurants.

guido4475

Not a Member
It seems to me that everytime Pilot buys a truckstop it goes to crap soon after.Ayone remember Davis Brothers truckstops in Ky? They were a real nice family-owned co.And their restaurants werent bad, either. But soon after, Pilot came in and took out the restaurants, And put in a Mcdonalds,etc in them. How much you want to bet it will happen at a Flying J if Pilot buys Them? The profit margin is huge for these subway and other fast-food joints compared to a sit-down.But on the same hand, everyone wants drivers to be healthier and thinner, but yet, they give us no choice for a healthy meal.I, myself,am a Petro person. And even though I cant stand Flying J food, it is a better alternative to Pilot.And the J is more van freindly.But wouldnt the Pilot buying the J be in some kind of violation with monopoly laws? I mean, look at how many they have bought in the past, and how big they are now.Speedway, Williams,Davis brothers,And I know there are a few more that they have bought.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
There is something like 2000 truck stops in North America, and if you include fuel stops like Pacific Pride, you're in the 10,000 range.

Pilot Travel Center currently operates and licenses over 300 locations in more than 40 states and 1 location in Ontario. Pilot claims to be the nation's largest operator of travel centers and largest seller of over-the-road diesel fuel. Pilot's real money comes in restaurant sales, which did $270 million in 2007. Pilot owns 262 restaurants, and is the 10th largest restaurant franchisee in America. Pilot's total annual revenue is $16 billion (2008). They are in the Top 50 on Forbe's Magazine's annual listing of America's largest privately held companies.

Flying J operates and licenses over 270 travel plazas and fuel stops in 41 states and 6 Canadian Provinces. Flying J claims to be the largest retail distributor of diesel fuel in North America. Flying J's total revenue is $18 billion (2008). They are in the Top 20 on Forbe's Magazine's annual listing of America's largest privately held companies.

TA Travel Centers of America owns and operates 164 Travel Centers, not including the 69 Petro Travel Centers they recently acquired, for a total of 233 locations. 24 of the Petro locations are franchised.

Loves owns and operates more than 200 locations in more than 30 states. Love's current growth rate is approximately 15 stores per year. They are ranked at #25 on Forbe's Magazine's annual listing of America's largest privately held companies.

Then you've got the network stops like AmBest and Roady's which link up small, privately owned truck stops with nationwide benefits like loyalty cards. Roady's has more than 400 of these locations.

Even if Pilot wrote a check and bought all of the Flying J locations today, they'd still have a long way to go before they start entering antitrust territory.

Last edited:

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Turtle thanks, that is some great info you have been posting. Some of which I have wondered about before and never had the answer.

On a side note, people talk on here about fast food places and and not having a healthy choice. You can order healthy at fast food places the person just has to decide to do so. The main problem is in the restaurant industry is when healthy items are placed on the menu most times they do not last. The sale of such items are so low as to not support having them outside of your basic salad or such.

2czykats

Seasoned Expediter
The only reason my wife and I stopped at Pilot when trucking and now when just traveling is there GREAT coffee. Then we leave.

kenworthkid

Seasoned Expediter
Well said 2czykats. The coffee is the only reason to stop by a Pilot. as I sit here drinking Pilot coffee at the Pilot in Dunnigan, CA. Have a good day

guido4475

Not a Member
Very impressive information, Mr Turtle. awesome. I do believe you have missed you're calling.Thank you for bringing me up to speed on the actual numbers.As far as coffee goes, I love the smell of it in the morning,but could never drink it.Or tea.That's just me! But awile ago Pilot was voted by truckers as having the best coffee in a poll.

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
Turtle thanks, that is some great info you have been posting. Some of which I have wondered about before and never had the answer.

On a side note, people talk on here about fast food places and and not having a healthy choice. You can order healthy at fast food places the person just has to decide to do so. The main problem is in the restaurant industry is when healthy items are placed on the menu most times they do not last. The sale of such items are so low as to not support having them outside of your basic salad or such.

taco bell.....the home of the 12,000 calorie taco salad!!:p:D

or maybe 2 salads at mickeys. or one garden salad with tuna on the bottom and sandwich tomatoes at panera.

coffee?? starbucks cod is best. caribou also.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
It would be nice to have a fast food choice and a sit down choice. Sometimes I need food quick other times I want a real meal.
Pilot does have good coffee

Falligator

Expert Expediter
It would really suck if Pilot buys the flying J then decides to get rid of the reg gasoline 50 gal shower program, however it would be really good if they decide to impliment that at the Pilot, but that would be "HIGHLY" unlikely. As a vanner I'll probably end up losing my discount. And some of the Flying J's restaraunts are actually pretty good. Far and few between. Usually the newer flying J's.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
We get talking and he tells me that Pilot is going to make an offer to purchase Flying J when Flying J officially goes on the market Monday.

Well, Monday has come and gone and Flying J did not go "on the market Monday." So to answer your question, no, ""Pilot to buy Flying J" is not true.

The twice-asked question in this thread remains unanswered. How would Pilot buying Flying J be a victory for truckers?

mjolnir131

Veteran Expediter
i'm not sure a company who is clueless about what coustomer service is buying a company that has forgoten what it is, where is the win win?

Last edited:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
outside of short of staff at times..and some poor sheduling on some managers behalf....I've had good customer service from the J's....too bad they are struggling....

A store is only as good as their manager....the manager sets the pace....