Pilot/J accused of rebate fraud, Millions of $

mcavoy33

Seasoned Expediter
I heard about the Pilot debacle when I got an
Email from EO about it. I read only this page but I'm a little disappointed there doesn't seem to be a grassroots movement to boycott Pilot.

I would have thought that people would naturally stick by there brethren and not support a company that is willing to steal from its "loyal" customers.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Drivers boycotting Pilot to what end? It's the carriers that were damaged, not the drivers. Carriers getting, or not getting, their rebates from Pilot doesn't really affect the drivers. A boycott really wouldn't accomplish anything.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I heard about the Pilot debacle when I got an
Email from EO about it. I read only this page but I'm a little disappointed there doesn't seem to be a grassroots movement to boycott Pilot.

I would have thought that people would naturally stick by there brethren and not support a company that is willing to steal from its "loyal" customers.

I do stick by my brethren. I am much closer to the people behind the counter or those that deliver the fuel than the ones with an office. A boycott would harm those closest to my status in life.

Sent from my Fisher Price ABC-123.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I also am amazed by the lack of disgust with the whole deal.
To me the dealbreaker is did Jimmie know.
If he knew, I wouldn't want to deal with the scum or help him earn another penny.
If he didn't know, if I was a big customer I'd want him to get his house in order.
Since those here don't feel violated, few seem upset.

mcavoy33

Seasoned Expediter
If he knew, I wouldn't want to deal with the scum or help him earn another penny.
If he didn't know, if I was a big customer I'd want him to get his house in order.

When I was OTR, I was a very loyal Pilot / flying J customer even though everyone here ranted about how much better TA's were. The convenience of so many were huge and the overall quality was mostly consistent.

But I took it as an attack on the industry. I realize that it doesn't affect most of us, I just don't want to support a business like that.

As for the workers, if you support another chain and that chain grows, they will hire workers. If Pilot treated their most loyal customers this way, they probably screw their employees over as well.

The family owned truck stop across the street probably treats their employees better.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

Why would this be any different then say...doing loads for TST expedite? A Transforce company wholy owned by the Sapputo crime family...every time you do a load for them, you are helping money laundrying and supporting the drugs and prostitution trade....feels good this Sunday morning eh? If one driver can screw another over for a penny for a load...it'll get done...

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
My van ...My money....its Pilot --Flying J for me.......

Sent from my SGH-T959 using EO Forums mobile app

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
These things give me headaches. I've stayed out of TA/Petro since the "Reward Yourself" thread, where I got the idea that since I drive a gasoline-powered van I'm not exactly welcome in the TA/Petro Truck Stop. Now this thread says Pilot/Flying J is ripping off customers on rebates (I never did like rebates, they're inherently dishonest to begin with) and some say I should boycott them just on the general principle of the thing. That leaves Loves as the last major player, and somewhere I thought I heard indications that they don't like us all that much either.

I'm beginning to think that truck stops just aren't all that much good. Certainly not the big fellows, who seem to look down their snooty noses at us peons. So, what's left? Maybe smaller gas stations, and the truck stops when I have to and have little other choice?

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Mjm: the customers who got ripped off were the carriers & fleet owners who a few of the top mgmt suits considered either unsophisticated or unattentive, not any individual O/Os.
As Xiggi pointed out, boycotting might just result in some of the low paid clerks getting laid off, or reduced hours, and that sure wouldn't make us feel better, would it?
I think it's enough to just speak up. Make your disapproval known, and your appreciation for the brave people who 'out' the scum, rather than go along for the easy money.
I sure hope those who are being reimbursed for what was kept from them remember to show thanks to those who spoke up, though I don't hear much on that front.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
All these posts about miles and rates are about to be deleted unless someone can show how they're even remotely on topic.

{Off-topic posts were removed}

Last edited:

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
All these posts about miles and rates are about to be deleted unless someone can show how they're even remotely on topic.

{Off-topic posts were removed}

Np....turtle......:D

Sent from my SGH-T959 using EO Forums mobile app

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Last line of the article gives the accusations 100% of their weight.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
Ahhh, the joys of truck stop living.

You do not have to stop at truck stops, imho. There are alternatives for stuff.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I am quite happy with Pilot/FJ....made some pocket/hot dog money with their kissing and making up this summer...a whack of $1.00 surveys and double points all summer now 10 day showers......it was great!

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
I am quite happy with Pilot/FJ....made some pocket/hot dog money with their kissing and making up this summer...a whack of $1.00 surveys and double points all summer now 10 day showers......it was great!

I will have to give up my Broadway shows now, you really make it interesting....lol