Pilot/J accused of rebate fraud, Millions of $

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Thanks, Monty. As I thought, the request was denied for technical reasons, and the judge didn't say anything [in this article] about it being "nice to see people working things out without using the courts".
Aside from the fact that it'd put the judge out of work, it hasn't been "worked out". Now that the judge has pointed out that a class action suit requires other victims of fraud to join, I think they will be doing so.
They weren't any more aware of that law than the 'cost plus' pricing they thought they were getting from PFJ, and Haslem is clearly trying to be proactive a little too late in the game.
Probably suggested by the PR and [white collar crime] defense pros he's hired. As Moot mentioned, Haslem's plan involves just those things he should have been doing all along, but only chooses to do now that he's in trouble.
And the sleaze continues, with his statement that "several" salespeople have been put on leave. The affadavit shows that over a dozen people should be fired - including Haslem.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Wow, Cheri. You're really upset at Haslam. Almost like.... a woman scorned. Is it because he went and done you wrong, or simply because he's rich and you hate rich people. :D

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Don't hate rich people, hate people who lie and cheat and steal - especially when they get treated with respect & deference, and that goes double for people who talk about others the way the PFJ team does, as if they [the scum] are superior.
That's what I hate.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Don't have to say allegedly - they hoist themselves on their own petards, [whatever the heck that is, lol] and it's all on tape.
That's why Haslem is rushing to get it taken care of - denial is useless and he knows it.
I admire people who achieve success through hard work and creativity, but not through cheating the 'less sophisticated'. They're not entitled to the respect and deference they get.

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
BB: can you provide a link for the "judge in Tn says is a good thing when he threw out the lawyers claims today" remark?
I haven't seen that anywhere.

I said it wrong but here you go for my link

Land Line Magazine: The Business Magazine for Professional Truckers

Judge denies motion in Pilot Flying J lawsuit
By Jami Jones, Land Line managing editor
A motion to prevent Pilot Flying J employees from contacting customers who may have not received full rebate checks due them was denied by a Knox County Circuit Court judge Monday.

The motion was filed as part of a lawsuit seeking class action status by Atlantic Coast Carriers. The motion, filed last Thursday, was heard by the Knox County, TN, Circuit Court on Monday.

That lawsuit was filed days after a Federal Bureau of Investigation and Internal Revenue Service search of the Pilot Flying J headquarters on April 18. The search warrant was awarded by the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Tennessee based on information collected with the assistance of confidential informants working for Pilot Flying J.

The affidavit seeking the warrant alleged that sales staff calculating manual rebate checks were intentionally shorting rebate customers the full rebate amounts owed.

Following the search, Pilot Flying J CEO Jimmy Haslam has publicly acknowledged that he is meeting with customers and seeking to pay any rebates owed.

The Atlantic Coast Carriers lawsuit seeks class action status for customers who were allegedly shorted rebates owed to them. The latest motion alleged that Haslam’s interaction with customers could be construed as witness tampering.

In denying the motion, the judge expressed his gratitude that the situation was being resolved without the court system.

Copyright © OOIDA

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Wow, Cheri. You're really upset at Haslam. Almost like.... a woman scorned. Is it because he went and done you wrong, or simply because he's rich and you hate rich people. :D

What I think is so funny comes from the fact that some people don't even need a trial to find people guilty when they only her one side of a story.

Plus the fact that as a O/O or leased driver none of what's going on affects us and our fuel discounts.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I said it wrong but here you go for my link

Land Line Magazine: The Business Magazine for Professional Truckers

Judge denies motion in Pilot Flying J lawsuit
By Jami Jones, Land Line managing editor
A motion to prevent Pilot Flying J employees from contacting customers who may have not received full rebate checks due them was denied by a Knox County Circuit Court judge Monday.

The motion was filed as part of a lawsuit seeking class action status by Atlantic Coast Carriers. The motion, filed last Thursday, was heard by the Knox County, TN, Circuit Court on Monday.

That lawsuit was filed days after a Federal Bureau of Investigation and Internal Revenue Service search of the Pilot Flying J headquarters on April 18. The search warrant was awarded by the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Tennessee based on information collected with the assistance of confidential informants working for Pilot Flying J.

The affidavit seeking the warrant alleged that sales staff calculating manual rebate checks were intentionally shorting rebate customers the full rebate amounts owed.

Following the search, Pilot Flying J CEO Jimmy Haslam has publicly acknowledged that he is meeting with customers and seeking to pay any rebates owed.

The Atlantic Coast Carriers lawsuit seeks class action status for customers who were allegedly shorted rebates owed to them. The latest motion alleged that Haslam’s interaction with customers could be construed as witness tampering.

In denying the motion, the judge expressed his gratitude that the situation was being resolved without the court system.

Copyright © OOIDA

Awwww the poor lawyers can't file a lawsuit on this issue...and we all know who makes money when they do...not the customers, not Pilot...
Some of these companies owed are probably small operations and the cash right now....not in 5-10 yrs like a lawsuit would take, will really help them out....

lawchrist

Rookie Expediter
The LEAST we can all do {i did} is contact our carrier to make sure the carrier actually got those rebates back, and go over our statements for the last year & make sure the carrier pass those saving to us.

There's an old saying: "It's the 90% of lawyers who give the rest of us a bad name." For what it's worth, I try hard to stay in the 10%.

Right now, I'm looking for a trucking company or driver who's been burned by Pilot/J's rebate scam. I know there are several class actions already going, but I think I'll bring a unique angle to the table. And, no--I'm not interested in making millions just so I can hand out two dollar coupons. Last I checked, there's still such a thing as justice.

{SPAM REMOVED - Turtle}

Last edited by a moderator:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
There's an old saying: "It's the 90% of lawyers who give the rest of us a bad name." For what it's worth, I try hard to stay in the 10%.
And you think spamming a Web forum is the way to do that? As a lawyer, you should know to pay more attention to the Code of Conduct which you agreed to when signing on here, Section 15 in particular. Missing those kinds of details does not bode well as to your representational competence.

Right now, I'm looking for a trucking company or driver who's been burned by Pilot/J's rebate scam. I know there are several class actions already going, but I think I'll bring a unique angle to the table.
It would be interesting to find out what kind of unique angle you could bring to the table, considering you don't know which carriers are involved and have to use an open Web forum to find out, not to mention you think drivers have gotten burned in a rebate program in which drivers don't even directly participate.

And, no--I'm not interested in making millions just so I can hand out two dollar coupons.
I bet you're not interested in doing this pro bono, either.

Last I checked, there's still such a thing as justice.
Yeah, but you aren't likely to find it in civil tort litigation. Somebody always gets screwed.

Last edited:

ATeam

Retired Expediter

Right now, I'm looking for a trucking company or driver who's been burned by Pilot/J's rebate scam. I know there are several class actions already going, but I think I'll bring a unique angle to the table. And, no--I'm not interested in making millions just so I can hand out two dollar coupons. Last I checked, there's still such a thing as justice.

So, with your interest in justice, are you seeking to represent a company or driver pro bono? If not, what do you propose exactly?

Last edited:

pearlpro

Expert Expediter
I feel the same Blizzard, In America we reward the cheaters, they always get away with a fine that amounts to a pittance in there fortune, when the day comes that Cheating, is rewarded with your fortune being donated to the poorest charity....Ive made good money some years and Ive starved some years, I lived on Smack Ramen and Koolaid...Id like to see some MADOFFS and TRUMPS eating tuna from a can....these UBER RICH Politically connected never get a real punishment.....I buy fuel at Pilot, get my showers and points, Im saving my points for a New GPS, I buy Ice there and thats about it when I can go to wallys World or Autozone and save $$$$....

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Phil, much pro-bono work done by you and the misses ?
( uncompensated deadhead doesn't count, LOL.)

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I can't recall Phil ever pretending to haul freight for altruistic reasons.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Deleted by Zorry. Once I had my coffee I realized this should have been a PM.

Last edited:

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Phil, much pro-bono work done by you and the misses ?
( uncompensated deadhead doesn't count, LOL.)

In the interests of justice, I have volunteered several years of my life pro-bono. In the interests of moving freight, there has been very little. When she was practicing law, Diane did some pro bono work.

Last edited: