Pickup expediter

rdtrpn

Seasoned Expediter
That is cool. How is the freight covered? With a tarp?
must be, unfortunately it was an ooh look that and quick grab my camera phone so i didnt get a good look. i would of put more of a description. they did have a bike on the back of the sleeper shell though. good for exercise and fun.

rdtrpn

Seasoned Expediter
by the way if any of you are at the flyin j in lake station thats where it is or was, dont know if it left.

guido4475

Not a Member
back in the early 90's i used to be leased to a small expediting company in cleveland,oh and that is what we had a large number of- pickups covered wagons, so to speak.it does work.and the freight available then was unbelieveable.

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm using a pickup, got a tall cap on it, freight is....so so. Not many carriers will take pickups any more.

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
So is the freight put in the bed, or it it got a fifth wheel so it can pull a gooseneck? I've seen lots of the latter lately.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
See a lot of those hotshotters down along the gulf states. We did quite a bit of it out of Houston using just a pickup or pulling a gooseneck.
Very competitive with most freight being oil related.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
You can use many types of equipment in this biz. We used a Jeep Liberty for one move in Florida last winter. How many of you have picked up an envelope and placed it in the right stick seat of a straight truck to get the job done??

MSinger

Expert Expediter
Since this was seen in Northern Indiana, my guess is it's an RV hauler from factory to dealer. Appears to be a single rear wheel unit with a 9900 GVWR. So when they "drop" the trailer are they no longer a "commercial vehicle" and are free to dead head back without logging???

willgreg21

Seasoned Expediter
I was actually looking into getting a job to do that when I stumbled on this site and got interested in expediting. I still would like to do it but would have a single axle truck with sleeper instead of a dually.

I wonder if they stay busy...I see these guys all the time.

Brisco

Expert Expediter
saw this 5 weeks ago ,which will be 2 years into the future in your case.

i mean,get a real truck ,will yh'a ?

This guy drives for, or used to, Quality RV Transport. I saw this truck before he added the stacks and all the extra reflectors. It looked clean before he added the stacks and reflectors. Looks gaudy to me now........

"Get a real truck"??? What you got? An 18ft D unit? Get a real truck Moose..........like a 53ftr.............:p

This truck serves this guy well for what he's using it for. He's far ahead of the game when compared to other RV Haulers out there. His lodging expenses are down, he can run more restful having this DOT approved sleeper, and is probably hassled less at scales since he set himself up to run as legal as possible. (he can log "sleeper berth" in his logbook and not be questioned as to where he's been sleeping when off duty)

There's more of these trucks out there than you can imagine. Most of 'em are being used in the LTL/Hotshot freight industry, but there's also quite a few of 'em in the RV Transporting industry also.

My "Dream" Expedite truck would be a "Big C - Mini D" unit being built with a Dodge 5500 C/C, 6.7 Cummins, and 19.5K GVWR. Truck with sleeper attached and 16ft box would weigh in about 10K on the ground leaving you with about 9K in total weight carrying abilities along with 6-8 skids. Such a truck would keep you under IFTA and Apportioned Plating requirements, and would allow a Solo Driver the option to take those shorter loads/runs that are just a tad higher in weight and size than a CV could carry.

Sure, you'll have to abide by HOS with a rig like my "dream rig", but there's stories all over this board over the years where Solo D unit drivers took a "B-C" load that was right on the verge of being too heavy and big for CV's and Sprinters.

A couple of you had the idea of running RV's. My advice, don't do it.......or at least don't get involved in running "singles". There's just NO money in delivering 1 at a time. If you ever want to get into running RV's, a "Haul & Tow" is the only way to go. (see picture below)

"2 at a time" is the only way to go. You make money heading out, and have the ability to make money coming back by putting a car or 2 on the truck, a car on the truck and another trailer, or 2 more trailers. I know the guy that owns the Haul & Tow below. Is he making money with that rig? Flatout.........Yes. Probably 3-4 times more than most of the Expeditors here on this board.

Attachments

• Clausen,_J_8_.jpg
    Clausen,_J_8_.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 53
  • Goatcher-Exterior_Side.jpg
    Goatcher-Exterior_Side.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 52
  • MVC-005S.JPG
    MVC-005S.JPG
    49.6 KB · Views: 47
  • Meeks_ext.1.jpg
    Meeks_ext.1.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG00832-20100916-1645.jpg
    IMG00832-20100916-1645.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 53

tractorman70

Seasoned Expediter
Hey Brisco, who does the stretched sleeper conversions on those duallys? That idea for your dream truck sounds pretty awesome!

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

Brisco

Expert Expediter
The pics of the trucks I showed were sent to me from Double Eagle Industries out of Indiana a few years back. Heard they were going out of business, but yet their website is still in full force and their FaceBook page is still active. Don't really know, not going to call the # either just to see.

Most of the LTL/HotShot guys are either buying used sleepers and doing the conversions themselves, or are having them done at AA Sleeper here in Ft Worth.

AA Truck Sleeper Corp

I know about a dozen or so LTL runners that had their sleepers done at AA and are quite happy with 'em. (Price-Quality-Etc)

Look at the Dodge 4500 in this page here:

AA Truck Sleeper Corp

That truck belongs to one of my best "trucking" friends. I believe he spent 5 grand on that thing, installation, AC, and all.

ICT will do a smaller truck too, but are a bit "PRICEY"!!

There's also a company in NC called "Roadmaster Truck Conversions" that does sleeper conversions. They make a fine sleeper for Class 3-4-5 trucks, but you need to have deeeeeep pockets for their product. $12-$15K I believe.

Roadmaster Truck Conversion and Cab Extensions, Luxurious sleeper for Pick Up Trucks

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
Since this was seen in Northern Indiana, my guess is it's an RV hauler from factory to dealer. Appears to be a single rear wheel unit with a 9900 GVWR. So when they "drop" the trailer are they no longer a "commercial vehicle" and are free to dead head back without logging???
This has been an ongoing subject of controversy in the RV industry . Most RV carriers require logging deadhead . After all , you are required to show on duty hours for the past 7 days . A deadhead from FL to IN won't be considered off duty . Running a without a trailer then having to log because you hook to a trailer can be considered similar to a cargo van getting a hazmat load and having to show on duty hours for the past 7 days .
It is true if the vehicle is not hooked to a trailer it is not subject to HOS . Some contractors would disconnect their trailer when sleeping so they could log off duty . I questioned a DOT inspector about this and he said they could get away with it . Without a trailer hooked if their GVWR wasn't over 10,000lbs. they were exempt from HOS .
There is no rel money to be made in the RV transport business is most cases . There is too much deadhead . Many RV plants in TX , CA , MD , PA , and other states have shut down permanently eliminating backhauls that allowed a minimal profit .
There will be plenty of work though because RV orders for 2011 are expected to exceed orders for this year by a considerable amount .