per mile pay with a Van

cat can do

Veteran Expediter
I need to know what to pay a driver per mile for local work. Everything has been based on percentage but what is the going rate for a per-mile kind of job. Is .70 to .72 per mile out of reach.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Everything has been based on percentage....

Why do you wish to abandon percentage pay? Do you pay extra for stops? How many miles a day does your driver average?

Paying for local work by the mile probably won't cut it for most drivers. You may find yourself spending more time and money constantly hiring new drivers just to save a few bucks.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
postscript: I like how you used the uppercase "V" in Van. Way cool!

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
If I were going to do local work and get paid by the mile, I'd want taxi rates, at least, and that assumes no-touch freight. Like, $2.50 to start upon arrival at the shipper, then 40 cents for each 5th of a mile or for every 30 seconds spent stopped in traffic, waiting to be loaded or unloaded, or at anytime traveling less than 12 miles an hour. There would also be a minimum charge, regardless.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I guess ther is no per-mile rate in a Van.
Sure there is. I get paid per mile. But we're talking linehaul, not local delivery.

From your original post I gather you have at least one van and one driver. You are currently paying a percentage and now have some interest in paying per mile. Again I ask why?

cat can do

Veteran Expediter
The driver is paid $12.00 per hour. the run is less then 120 miles round trip it pays $480 on a 70/30 split which pays me $336 which ends up being $2.80 a mile. I was asked how we both could cut the cost and keep the run. The driver is not affected in this unless I lose the run. But we talked it out already tonight and think there will just be a flat rate charge of $100 for the run I have it 3 times a week plus there will be an added $25.00 per-stop for any run with this one, and go back to the 70/30 percentage for the added runs.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I've just got one more question. But I'm afraid to ask because you might think I'm a moron.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Now that you have met me there can be no doubt. I'm blind also cause I sure didn't see any white lettering on that stealth Panther Sprinter.

At least you are smart enough to read the clue....just testing..*LOL*

Hey it was that 2' Panther expedited Services...twas on the close to the rear on the sides....At first I thought it was old decals taken off but as I got closer...nope twas white...besides the van was too new to leave staining of old decals like that....

Truely a stealth Van!

guido4475

Not a Member
When I was running local,I was paid by the load,flat rate, and detention was added as well as extras, as needed. A load from cleveland airport to ford engine plant in brookpark would pay me 150.00 flat rate, straight truck. total trip miles, from terminal to airport to ford and back was 7 miles exactly.I used to run them all day long.Those were the good old days. I still have the pay slips for all of the runs i have done since 1989 and some of you wouldnt believe how well local freight used to pay.

DannyD

Veteran Expediter
I remember some local runs along those lines. 20 miles for $140 or whatever. Nice when ya could get a 3000 pound load or whatever your vehicle could handle. In my case at least though, those were few & far between. They weren't anything you could count on.

On the original post, the challenge w/ paying by the mile for local work is that the wait times are generally about the same. So you're taking maybe a half hour to load, another half hour to unload. Then if ya have a 10 mile run, if a driver only makes $7, it's not going to take long for him/her to figure out it's not worth it.

I enjoyed local work. My challenge was the company required a Sprinter & I didn't make enough to justify the payments on that thing. Then they let me use my Ford until it got to be to old. They had a 6 model year rule or something like that. I didn't feel like getting a new vehicle at that time, so I left. I did enjoy working there though.