part-time

Seasoned Expediter
The wife and I would like to go out and see the country and just wondering do you have to run as hard as I hear that you doing? Would like to do it part-time. Thanks for info mike

hondaking38

Veteran Expediter
if you are in a van you could consider it part time!!! if you run 1000 miles a week (you would be lucky to average that) it would take 20 hours to drive it...leaving you 148 hours for the rest of the week to do what you want..

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Mike: one of the great things about being an independent contractor is the ability to take time off whenever you'd like. Naturally, you don't make any money when not accepting loads. Even if that's ok with you, you may have difficulty with a carrier - they pretty much want contractors who are available a good percentage of the time. (Hence: inservice percentages).
And if you find a carrier who will take whatever time you're willing to give, be warned that many of the drivers who earn their living expediting will resent you for taking loads that they feel you don't "need" as much as they do.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
One of the other things to consider is even though you are off your fixed expenses continue; such as insurance, QUALCOMM; truck payment, taxes and the list goes on.

There are some out here that only work about half the year but they are usually the veterans that know when to run and when to take time off. They also have a paid for truck and paid for homes and have a pension or retirement check.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I have always thought that part-time expediting could work, if done right. Assume for a monment that there was a pool of qualified drivers that could jump into say, my truck during hunting season. My truck would be working the entire year, I could hunt and that pool of subs would only work here and there as they see fit. I know about all the problems etc. but it is and interesting idea. Layoutshooter

dabluzman1

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
YOU MEAN THEIR ARE SOME THAT DO THIS FULLLLLLLLL TIME?????

sshhhhhhhhh...... not so loud as to let my owner know.

Good luck to you and welcome.