Parking solution

M

Mcarriers

Babs, I'm sorry I didn't mean anything bad by that comment. I just meant that their truck wasn't taking any morwe space than some of the RV's out there. All professional drivers have my utmost respect!!! I didn't mean to dish anyone or their choice of equipment. Please accept my apology if I offended you or anyone else. My Bad!

Mello
FedEx

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The problem comes from other truck drivers seeing a truck on a lot, then they think it's OK to park there, and soon the lot can turn into a truck stop. That's why they sometimes tell you to park in back, out of sight.

When returning the groceries, after the manager made the phone call and got you permission to park there, I'm not sure why you didn't just park there. Certainly not sure why you chose to go ahead and return the groceries after the manager went to the trouble to get you permission. Nor am I sure why you chose to waste the time of the Fashion Bug people when they didn't know anything about the problem in the first place. :)

Be that as it may, when it comes to being murdered on the job, by far the most dangerous job in the United States is, and has been for many years, that of those who work in convenience stores at night. A close second is the night-time hotel/motel clerk. That's why convenience stores and hotels lock their doors at dark, and make you pay through a hole.

Coco

Seasoned Expediter
>
>When returning the groceries, after the manager made the
>phone call and got you permission to park there, I'm not
>sure why you didn't just park there. Certainly not sure why
>you chose to go ahead and return the groceries after the
>manager went to the trouble to get you permission. Nor am I
>sure why you chose to waste the time of the Fashion Bug
>people when they didn't know anything about the problem in
>the first place. :)
>
>
A much more lasting impression was made on that grocery store manager whenI returned the groceies. I'm not the kind of person who gives in when she gets her way. I wanted to make a statement. As far as the Fashion Bug manager, she was made fully aware of the incident. I wanted her to know had I not been treated the way I was I would have bought the clothes.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
>A much more lasting impression was made on that grocery
>store manager when I returned the groceies.

Yep. That'll teach him to go out of his way to help somebody.

>I'm not the kind of person who gives in when she gets her way.

Then what is your goal, if not to get your way?

>I wanted to make a statement.

You did that, then he rectified the situation, and then you promptly punished him for doing so. I don't get it.

>As far as the Fashion Bug manager, she
>was made fully aware of the incident. I wanted her to know
>had I not been treated the way I was I would have bought the
>clothes.

So you wasted her time for something she had nothing to do with, nor likely any control over. Again, I don't get it.

It just seems to me that getting your way and making a statement wasn't enough, that you went to a lot of trouble in order to attain revenge, and you took it out on the very people who had nothing to do with the situation. You wanted them to suffer, too.

That's like yelling at dispatch because the third party supplied shipper address is wrong. I don't get it.

vango

Expert Expediter
I agree with turtle,this kind of pointless,vengeful action is what is hurting all of us "unwanted parkers"...coco your wrong for subjecting people that had nothing to do with your predicament of a problem of "parking"...so ,ok ,you dont get it!..but those unsuspecting workers did!....The seeds you plant will reveal your future fruit of life...yours may not taste good,due to your negative attitude of the way you plant...

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Hey Vango and Turtle time to back off. I have had similar experiences as Coco described and have been booted outof Walmarts and Shopping Malls (Ontario CA is the worst) and I have also returned products to stores because of this.
I have also been welcomed in Walmarts as they know I will be spending $. I don't understand your critism directed to CoCo. IMHO she did the right thing,hell if the mall won't let you park why should you shop and subsidize the malls rental revenues.

I have also been kicked out of Flying J's when I parked up front even though there were RV's longer then me. When that has happened I send a E Mail to Provo Utah and never go back to that FJ again.

Best places to park are 24 hour supermarkets that get a lot of traffic. Nobody seems to bother or care who is in their lot.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I'm not really criticizing Coco, per se. I'm just saying I don't get it. I don't understand.

"IMHO she did the right thing,hell if the mall won't let you park why should you shop and subsidize the malls rental revenues."

If they won't let me park at a shopping mall, I'm not going to do any shopping there, either. That's perfectly logical and understandable.

By the same token, I'm not going to get kicked off the lot, and then go into one of the stores, gather up an armload of products, take them to the counter, and they say, "I would have bought these if security hadn't told me I can't park on the lot. Now, here, go put all these back on the shelves."

To me, and I'm obviously missing something huge here, that makes no sense.

And as little sense as that makes to me, what makes even less sense is to have already bought a bunch of stuff, then security tells you that you have to move, and then you take all the stuff back to return it (which does, actually, makes sense), but then the manager says, "Let me make a phone call," and comes back and says, "OK, everything is fine. You now have permission to park on the lot."

With that phone call, instantly the problem became a non-problem. You can park there. So why go ahead and return the previously bought items? That makes no sense. What does it accomplish? It doesn't make a statement. Walking back into the store with an armload of goods to return clearly made the statement already. Going ahead and returning the items after the manager resolved the problem merely tells the manager that going out of his way to resolve a problem to make a customer happy is something that he need not bother with in the future, because it won't work.

So, to my naive little eye, it seems that revenge was extracted from people who had nothing to do with the situation, or from people who actually tried to help rectify the situation, instead of from the people who were the cause of the situation (the security guard, who was just doing what he was told to do, and the landlord, who, after the phone call from the grocery store manager, lifted the parking ban completely). That's not a statement, that's petty vindictiveness.

Being in a van, it's not nearly as much of a PITA when it comes to parking. The only lots I've been kicked out of have been motel parking lots, because I didn't have a room there. :) But I've also spent a day or three in a motel parking lot and no one has said a word. There's a Holiday Inn in Bolingbrook (across the Interstate from that ratty old truck stop) that lets me park there when I'm in Chicago. I like it there because it's a good springboard spot for heading in most any direction to a shipper, they have patrolled 24-hour security, and they have killer, 8 Mbit Internet access. :)

There's a shopping center, of which a Wal Mart is in there, out by the airport in Pittsburgh, where I park in a little nook behind an Italian Restaurant, next to a Panera Bread place (over by the Cracker Barrel) where I've had the police knock on my window, but once I explain what I'm doing, they're fine with me being there. I just lock it up tight, cover the windows, and try not to bother anyone.

I've had the police knock on my window several times, but so far, never been told to leave. Once they see that nothing funny is going on, they're usually pretty kewl with it. Usually, in places where I think there's a chance of that happening, or there's a chance of me getting kicked out, I go find someone and get permission to park there before I park there.

There's a truck stop just south of Minneapolis where I have the police knock on my windows two nights in a row, a Friday night and Saturday night. I guess they don't see many expedite vans in that neck of the woods. Apparently, that place has a history of being robbed. I told one cop that, yeah, this is the perfect low-profile vehicle to use as a stake-out to case the joint. <snicker> She suggested that I park back there with the big trucks. I asked her if she'd ever seen what can happen to a van or an RV that takes up a big truck spot in a truck lot. I have. She hadn't. hehe

In any case, if I'm ever asked to leave a place, I think I'll just keep it simple and, just leave. I can't imagine myself being told to leave, and then on the way out of the lot I go speudo-shopping at the stores in the strip, telling everyone I would have bought this or that if I hadn't been told to leave. No, I'd just leave.

But like I said, I'm not jumping on anybody. I'm just trying to understand it all.

Coco

Seasoned Expediter
>I agree with turtle,this kind of pointless,vengeful action
>is what is hurting all of us "unwanted parkers"...coco your
>wrong for subjecting people that had nothing to do with your
>predicament of a problem of "parking"...so ,ok ,you dont get
>it!..but those unsuspecting workers did!....The seeds you
>plant will reveal your future fruit of life...yours may not
>taste good,due to your negative attitude of the way you
>plant...

You're right, they had nothing to do with it. They we're on my side and sympathized with me. They rent the building from the owner who instituted the rule that lost their sale. Perhaps the phone call to the owner may shed some light on the situation should you need to park there someday.

DanJ

Seasoned Expediter
Or they will simply say "Truck drivers are jerks and we don't want them here anyway". I agree with turtle. You were right up to the point of the grocery manager making the phone call. Then when he resolved the issue, you should have taken your groceries back to the truck and shut up about it. I'm sure the clerks in the clothing store, who probably were indifferent before, probably think less of truckers now. Good work. Can I nominate you for PR director of the trucking association?

mrgoodtude

Not a Member
You put yourself out there and you reap what you sow?????
Come on guy's give Coco a break..
If you stand for nuttin you fall for anything, I read that somewhere....
She unlike alot of you sheep decided to advance her agenda and push the envelope and as a consequence "we" will be able to squat in hell's kitchen.
I would appreciate it if you just said thank you and went about your mundane liberal existence and not bother those of us that don't accept the status quote...
Turd-le I have alot of respect for you and your posts but you are sleeping with the enemy here at least Coco is trying to make a statement, trying to be heard and MOST IMPORTANT bring about change.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Well, you can stand up for your principles and advance your agenda without being rude and petty about it. If common courtesy and simple Golden Rule manners is "sleeping with the enemy", where's my bunk?

Incidentally, munging someone's screen name in an attempt at degrading satire is a lame, sophomoric personal attack that comes from someone who usually has nothing more to say than sticking out their tongue and going nya, nya, nya. And that, coming on the heels of a very badly lampooned sentence from "A Few Good Men" makes it even all the more lame.

Oh, and it's "status quo" not "status quote", at least in the context in which it seems to be used here. A status quote would merely be the proclamation of the status of something, a statement of fact. It is something that can neither be accepted or rejected. It simply is. A status quo, on the other hand, is the condition or state of current affairs. To call for an end to the status quo is to call for radical change, which, by the way, is a very liberal thing to do.

Si hoc legere scis numium eruditionis habes

DanJ

Seasoned Expediter
Sounds like someone "can't handle the truth".

I went back and read the original post. It seems Coco was given permission, not once, but twice, to do her business. She didn't say what time she parked there, but it appears the security guard gave her time to do what she needed to, and move by 10am, which presumably is when the rest of the shopping center opens. She didn't say what time they had agreed on in regards to the Fashion Bug opening at 10am. At this point though, it would have been a good return jesture to move the truck to the back as per the guard's request, since he did allow the truck to be parked until 10am.

Then after returning the groceries, the store manager again secured permission to park, but she turns around and throws this back in the manager's face anyway. I'm sure he won't be so helpful next time. The scene at Fashion Bug was simply juvenille, and accomplished nothing. Those people had no idea what the problem was, and are sure to not make any effort to change the parking policy.

What's there to say thank you for?

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
>
>Si hoc legere scis numium eruditionis habes
Me neither!

I agree with those who feel Coco had the right idea, but went one step too far by returning the groceries, and piling clothes she didn't intend to buy on a counter - I don't think it left them with a very good impression of drivers at all.
And I really don't get the "not giving in because I got my way" part: if getting your way wasn't what you wanted, what was the point? When I get my way, I smile and say 'thank you!'

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Si hoc legere scis numium eruditionis habes

No I'm not.
:p

Yes, folks, it's a different breed of truck driver out there these days. hehe

To do is to be. -Descartes
To be is to do. -Voltaire
Do be do be do. -Frank Sinatra

mrgoodtude

Not a Member
Ken
Not overeducated
But maintain my position...
We all have our moment in the sun and push the envelope a little further than we need to....
I applaud those that do so as the squeaky wheel gets the grease.
You are dead on in your observations that I cannot deny but I cannot and will not shoot someone down for trying to make a difference including you should you ever decide to put forth your education in the interest of making the world a better place for us trucking folk.
I apologize for my weak attempt at satire but then again maybe some of us take ourselves a little to seriously.
Veritas vos liberabit.
(The truth shall set you free)
Mike

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The Truth?
You want answers?
I think I'm entitled to them.
You want answers?
I want the truth!
You can't handle the truth!

"Son, we live in a basbeall world that has steroids sitting in the lockers. And those lockers have to be guarded by men with money. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Captain Seligberg? Steroids have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Giambi and you curse the Bonds. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know: that steroid use, while tragic, probably saved baseball. And its existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves ticket sales...You don't want the truth. Because deep down, in places you don't talk about at parties, you want steroids in those lockers. You NEED steroids in those lockers."

"We use words like advantage, enhancement, cycling...we use these words as the backbone to a life spent defending something. You use 'em as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a fan who rises and cheers under the television lights of the very excitement I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it! I'd rather you just said thank you and go buy another ticket. Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a bat and stand in the batter's box. Either way, I don't give a dam.n what you think you're entitled to!"