Panther2 loads last week

ALVIN

Expert Expediter
does anyone know if panther2 loading was slow last week or is it one of those things,if you are out of the zone you don't get loaded.The dispatch kept telling me that they did'nt see loads for 300 to 500 miles from my area.Plus i had already deadheaded without pay 350 miles.And does anyone know if you can get loaded out of Dallas or Houston Texas in a reasonable amount of time. x(

Glen Rice

Veteran Expediter
I heard through the rumor mill that Panther II had more loads covered than Fedex! So I quess the answer would be no. Maybe next week will be better.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Probably need alittle more information.

Factors to consider is whether you are a team as they get out of either Houston or Dallas must faster.
Are you a tractor, straight, or a van.
Tougher to get out of both with a van.
Lastly, how many of your type of unit was at these locations?

All of the above will make a difference as to where to stay or relocate to.
As far as a straight truck with a team, we get out pretty quickly.
24 hours would be the maximum wait time.
Should mention that many loads out of Houston are hazmat and require a straight or TT.

Davekc
owner
21 years

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Houston isn't too good for solo D units. E units do pretty well out of there it seems. Not sure about vans.

Leo
truck 4958
73's K5LDB

Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

ALVIN

Expert Expediter
Single D unit 22ft cargo box.and how far should a single d unit deadhead to find some loads.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Single D unit 22ft cargo box.and how far should a single d unit deadhead to find some loads.

Hard question to answer without knowing where you are at. Location would be the driving issue.
Singles out of Texas can move but it takes longer as most are team loads. Florida is kinda simular. There are team loads, but not as many single ones.
Sometimes you can get a long load that picks up Friday and delivers Monday.

If deadhead looks excessive, I would broker my own load as many don't have expedite time restrictions.
If new or just starting, call the backhaul dept. for some guidance to get you started.

Davekc
owner
21 years

ALVIN

Expert Expediter
OKLAHOMA CITY,Been here a week now,but it is my home.i picked up a load out of ohio delivered to kansas city MO>ford motor company about 800 miles,called dispatch that saturday morning they told me i had a better chance of getting a load in oklahoma city so it is closer to home so i headed south,so here i sit.at least i am not burning fuel and money at a truck stop.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
OK City isn't that good to get something out of. I would've headed to St.Louis. But since you're home, that's a good thing :)

Guvna

Expert Expediter
>does anyone know if panther2 loading was slow last week or
>is it one of those things,if you are out of the zone you
>don't get loaded.The dispatch kept telling me that they
>did'nt see loads for 300 to 500 miles from my area.Plus i
>had already deadheaded without pay 350 miles.And does anyone
>know if you can get loaded out of Dallas or Houston Texas in
>a reasonable amount of time. x(

Last week was a good week for us...lots of miles and short turn around times.

Today, Sunday, there are 4 trucks in Dallas, with 4 in route. We look at Texas as a suck hole (lots coming in....little going out). For some reason, Panther seems to be saturating the area with trucks.....guess they dont mind YOUR sitting and waiting.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Since you live in OKC my opinion would be different, but I agree with THawk. I would have held in KC depending on how many other trucks, or folded and went to Columbia or St. Louis if running single.
Glad you got a run.

Davekc

garman351

Expert Expediter
Thanks Panther ii for scruwing it's drivers!
Every week Panther has a class that puts through app 50 People through it's class think about it? 200 People per month oh sure they will tell you every thing is fine and I keep hearing this all the time things are picking-up here shortly, Bull----!

Panther ii wants a truck at every corner everywhere for that quick responce at our expence. I have talked to several teams who have seen a dramitic slow down from last year at this time. And I hear on an average a team will sit atleast one day during the week or more, think about it yousilly the weekends most teams will sit now take away a couple of weekly work days by time you get that load the next day for pick-up than a delivery for the following day!

Most Company's want two years experience for drivers Panther will take on just about anybody?

Panther wants to flood the market with trucks so they can run out the smaller Company's and than raise their rates than lower the drivers incomes so you will either work for Panther or you will not work at all.

Most Company's set limites on the amount of trucks it will take on so they will keep drivers more busy and retain their drivers so they become more efficent and be happy and to better produce for the Company.

Oh don't anybody tell me about where you are sitting waiting for a load makes a big difference (We know that) Unless you are blind this is what is really going on with Panther.
x(

ALVIN

Expert Expediter
And yes i was one of those fifty a couple of weeks ago.sad news i still did not get loaded, that load that they said was mine on tuesday they gave it to someone else with there apology.They also was wondering how that happened being that i was at the top of there list to get loaded.Do wonders ever stop.
And i know what you mean by level of driver they are hiring,when i was there at orientation i stayed in the Comfort inn with my brand knew M2 parked in the lot next to the motel and the next morning i found my mirrors on the driver side had been damn near knocked off by one my fellow orientation drivers,that cost me 350.00 to replace.and the guy that i believe to be the one that did the damage was talking in the lounge about how difficult it was to back a straight truck,and this was even with a whole parking lot back in.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
garman351 wrote;
Panther ii wants a truck at every corner everywhere for that quick responce at our expence. I have talked to several teams who have seen a dramitic slow down from last year at this time. And I hear on an average a team will sit atleast one day during the week or more, think about it yousilly the weekends most teams will sit now take away a couple of weekly work days by time you get that load the next day for pick-up than a delivery for the following day!

I am getting the impression based on your posts of two that you are reasonably new and frustrated.
My apology if that is an incorrect assumption.
Our experience has been much different. 3rd quarter earnings are 23 percent higher than same period last year. Are we just lucky? Not sure. This is likely why the investment company Fenway Partners bought the company.
Since you have Panther's use of their insurance and authority, why are you sitting? Go find your own load. It is a learning process but their are good loads out there, that have nothing to do with Panther.
====================================================================
Most Company's want two years experience for drivers Panther will take on just about anybody

Some smaller companies do require two years of experience because of insurance requirements. All of the larger carriers with the exception of Landstar (6 months) have entry level positions.
=====================================================================
Panther wants to flood the market with trucks so they can run out the smaller Company's and than raise their rates than lower the drivers incomes so you will either work for Panther or you will not work at all

Trucking is plain and simple a supply and demand business. I have never heard your statement as an objective of Panther or another carrier. If you are finding your own loads, you are setting the rates, not Panther.
Most Company's set limites on the amount of trucks it will take on so they will keep drivers more busy and retain their drivers so they become more efficent and be happy and to better produce for the Company

I was at the expedite expo in Woodhaven last week. They are all recruiting. I have no clue at who you are looking at that is not putting trucks on?
ALVIN wrote;
yes i was one of those fifty a couple of weeks ago.sad news i still did not get loaded, that load that they said was mine on tuesday they gave it to someone else with there apology

Did they issue a pro number? If not, never assume anything. It may have been a honest mistake or you got bumped by a truck with a first out from doing a mini. Load could have cancelled or customer added weight that you couldn't carry, and you you would be in the same spot regardless. Bad things can happen, as we have been bumped before. OKC is a tough place for this because it is not exactly a hotbed of freight. If you can't get loaded in a reasonable amount of time, get a brokered load and get out of there. It costs you every day that you sit. The other option is to deadhead to another area that has freight, or wait it out.
If you are a novice with regards to brokered freight or backhauls, call the backhaul dept and let them guide you alittle.
For this to work, you must know what it costs to run your truck, since you are setting the rate. Panther collects 15 percent for billing, collections, insurance and using their authority.
I should note that this applies in general to TT and SS freight. Van freight is much more limited, but it is out there as well.

Be patient as there are options available to you once you know their system. Some do require some initative, but no one said it was going to be task free.
Good luck and hopefully everything works out for you.

Davekc
owner
21 years

Reactions: crich

bryan

Veteran Expediter
HI
Uneducated guess is were down on pros.But not way down on pros.about 20 to 25% from last year at this time. I agree that they hired on too many trucks especially so many in such a short span of time.Im wondering if they did this knowing that abunch of us were going to fold because of fuel prices.I've seen companies hire on 100 units hoping that they can keep 10 of the best from that group.Noticed they still do not have enuogh 5 tons, as last two weeks I've been doing recoveries from 1 <5 ton> to numerous vans and alot of Canada loads that were picked up by 5 tons that couldn't cross.
THANKS HAVE A GOOD ONE

wolfen

Expert Expediter
We have been with Panther for 65? days now. July was up and down for us but from what I hear thats not unusual for July. We still did OK. We are a D truck team.

We were home last week but our owner said it was a good week for them. This week has been our best so far. However, we delivered in Tulsa today and were 3rd team out so figure we have plenty of time to do laundry, shower, clean the truck and groom the dog.:)

From what we saw this week around the MI, IL, WI area a solo driver would have done pretty good there. We ran a couple short ones for them like IL to MI but they just kept up with the 300 mi load offers. If I was a solo driver I would probably just stay in that area until I needed to go home, lol.

Our owners have been running a lot of longer stuff, to and from Canada. We dont have CDRP or FAST yet so dont do Canada but still got 3 good length loads this week plus the short ones.

In the past 2 months we have been "stuck" twice. Once was in Canton, MS for 4 days, the other time in El Paso from Fri. PM to Tues. AM Other times we have delivered on Sat. and waited til Mon. to load again or sat on a load over the weekend waiting to deliver.

For whatever reason, our owner doesn't use any brokers or load boards. I asked them about it once and they said it didnt pay enough to be worth using. Apparently they tried it before, didnt work for them and they will take their chances on sitting UNLESS we are in someplace like northern WI for instance. Then they will allow us to EM to someplace like Milwaukee when offered.

BTW, we got an EM offer today from Tulsa to Hannibal, MO, 400+ miles. Thanks but no thanks, will just sit here and do laundry, already had a good week.:)

garman351

Expert Expediter
Dear Daveke:
It sounds like you are a man of great wisdom and I would like to thank you for any help you can provide to the rest of your Brothers & Sisters who drive for Panther.

It's easy to say things when your mad, that later you might regret. For all the new Folk's coming on board God Bless all of you for doing the best that you can and the doing the best that you can for your Family's. My point on Panther having this class every week is simply what I stated enough is enough they should limit it's delivery force so their is some security for it's drivers to be able to make it and stay with the Company rather than it's very high turn over.

Another very important point is our aconomy in America is in a very bad resession and I guess I can understand why things are slow due to the gas being so high People are worrying about just being able to make it to work! I know a man who is a district sales manager for a large tire Company who sell's tires all over Mich & Ohio and he tells me sales are the worst in the last fifteen years he has been selling tires to various tire shop's, and the list goes on.

Car Dealers are not selling cars, so the factory's are in no great need to mass produce it's products without any revenue coming in. So I can understand why freight might be slow right now?

Getting back to the freight business I guess I'm now more hurt than pissed off when I think of all of you Folk's out there away from your Family's busting your butt's and are wondering if you will make it! I feel bad about this Panther team that I know of who put spent their lifes savings buying a truck and they are barley making it, and yes they know the system and where to go, but the fact remains things are bad out there and I just hope things will get better shortly for all of us.

All of you drive safe and in my mind all of you Folk's are the unsung hero's who keep America runing!

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
The auto industry is taking a hit, especially because they are stuck with alot of trucks and SUVs. Production of the smaller cars are at pretty decent levels. They are selling alot of cars but without the big profits.

With regards to recruiting, all of the carriers are looking for as many trucks as they can. For a class of 50, they likely will only retain a small percentage of that number. The whys are everything from family issues, fuel prices, costly mistakes from being inexperienced,over buying on equipment, failure to adjust to the lifestyle.......you get the picture.

When specifically looking at brokered loads, it is hard for a owner to look for these when he is running his own truck and looking for another driver. It does take time to find your own sources. And he is correct, not every load is high paying. Brokered loads don't usually carry the same "exclusive use" that expedite does, nor the same time constraints. Sometimes it requires putting two loads on the truck. You may find one that pays only .80 cents a mile that you wouldn't take. But if you can get two on that rate or simular, $1.60 per mile minus Panther's 15%, doesn't look too bad. You won't get rich, but you won't waste a day just sitting there, or deadheading to another area for next to nothing.

Just my take on those items.

Davekc

bigguy1001

Expert Expediter
Again, I am having trouble keeping my mouth shut. Panther's turnover was 66% in 2004. Compare that to other larger carriers who's turnover runs 120% to 130%. Panther's turnover for contractors who have been with them over a year is 9%. If you get it, you stay. If you don't, you go away. Demand for orientation is driven by demand for trucks from the shippers. If panther was not turning down dozens, maybe hundreds, of customers every day due to a lack of equipment they would not be recruiting so hard. I was at the recent Expo, everyone is signing on trucks, everyone. Are they all out to ruin the contractor? Are they all trying to have a truck on every corner with no regard for the contractors success? Here's my final word. A lot of the hate & discontent you find in any sites forums is a result of contractors applying what they know about general freight trucking to an expedite enviroment. Expedite is a different dog. It wont fetch your stick. You have to put your self where the stick is going to be.
You can't call a customer and ask " hey, are you having an emergency today? Is there something you would like to pay a premium rate to ship even though you don't need to?" Think about it. You are correct to assume there is freight coming out of whatever area you happen to be in. You are incorrect to assume any of it is expedite freight. You have to put yourself where the expedite freight is. Good Luck!