Panther to sell out to UPS??

Prarysun

Seasoned Expediter
Heard a rumor today about Panther in line to sell to UPS who wants an Expedite co, similair to FECC? Anyone else heard this or is is just another BS rumor floating around?? Thanks.

Dianne

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
A rumor a month ago and most likely a rumor again a month from now. It's more likely Panther will make another acquisition than be sold.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I like the one where UPS and FedEx has a joint venture to purchase the US goverment.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
No.
That is a rumor. Leo's post above is likely closer to future plans.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

Stoff

Expert Expediter
Just heard today that Fed Ex and UPS are going to merge. The name of the new company will be called "Fed Up" !!!

:) :)

lanier1

Seasoned Expediter
>Just heard today that Fed Ex and UPS are going to merge.
>The name of the new company will be called "Fed Up" !!!
>
> :) :)

Now thats funny.

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
I agree with Leo and Dave. Facts that would support this rumor would seldom leave the confines of the Boardroom, but the rumors of this acquisition often have their genesis near the coffee pot at a truck stop.

I've long held the unconfirmed belief that the investment firm of Fenway Partners, the owners of Panther Transportation, bought Panther for the purpose of resale at a profit. I think they would trim the overhead and/or bundle Panther with other transportation activity and offer the new and improved Panther to the most appropriate Corporation involved in, or interested in expedited freight.

FedEx is already heavily involved in expedite, so I can't imagine they would be interested. Dewey Huey and Louie, DHL, have a large expedite division; no interest there, either, I presumet. That leaves UPS as the only player with resources comparable to FDX and DHL, but no competative expedite division.

Meanwhile, nearly concurrent with the Fenway acquisition of Panther, and the later addition of Con-Way Now, UPS quietly purchased Menlo, an expedited freight carrier of about 100 trucks. UPS established a division called UPS Expedite, but they operate with a fleet of less than 100 trucks; some of which were the former Menlo leased vehicles. That's hardly a formidable fleet for the capabilities possessed by UPS. So, what's next.

In my very uneducated opinion, Menlo is but a trial balloon being used by UPS to test the viability of adventuring into the expedited freight industry. If the balloon flies, Panther and its 1500, or so, trucks would make a great package for the expedite element of the UPS stable of operating companies. I would guess that the beginning of the next fiscal year would be a good time to announce their ambition to narrow the gap between FedEx and UPS market share.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
jbrbears, a UPS recruiter, says a fair amount about UPS in the "Ask The Recruiter" forum. See:

http://www.expeditersonline.com/dcforum/DCForumID19/324.html

His comments lead me to believe that UPS plans to expand into expediting in a big way over time and that they will grow their own fleet of drivers instead of buying another. Just one man's reading of the tea leaves.

bigguy1001

Expert Expediter
I think I started this rumor about 5 years ago. Does anyone else remember a UPS Superbowl commercial, shot in Africa, that showed a guy in a UPS uniform running on a dusty plain with a package? In the background were two black Panthers. You can figure out the rest.
There really are no panthers. Panther is a genus, actually Panthera, of which all big cats that can roar are a member. Zoologically speaking the term Panther is synonymous with Leopard. Leopards, Jaguars, and Pumas are all subject to a melanistic variant and are capable of producing a black cub. Any one of which is usually refered to as a "Black Panther"
Any who, I take full credit for starting that rumor. As I said, several years ago, and still fully expect it to hold true.