Panther Mileage Rate

TheGoodGuy

Expert Expediter
Talked to a Panther recruiter the other day about signing on a team van.
He is more than willing to sign us on, which we appreciate.

He stated that the mileage rate Panther pays vans is 76 cents per mile. That seems a little low to me. I am aware that it is advantageous to sign on with a larger company that has the freight, but even with the fuel surcharge, that can't be much more than a dollar a mile.

I certainly see a lot of Panther vans out there, so they must be making money. I just didn't realize that their base rate was so low.

I guess its time for me to hunt up some Panther folks, and try to get an idea as to how they manage the overhead at that rate.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
guess its time for me to hunt up some Panther folks, and try to get an idea as to how they manage the overhead at that rate.

You essentially answered your own question.
Do as much research as you can and talk to as many that are doing it.

Davekc

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
At my company we also have a low base rate BUT the dispatchers already know this, the "good" ones will double us up every 4-6th load where they can to bring up that base rate to make it more palatable.
Some would say this takes loads out of the system BUT as the company won't budge on rates, we accept this "make-up" way of the dispatch. All things considered of the 11 vans that stuck out the full year the lowest gross income was 68G's for the year, highest was 104,000. Not too shabby for a van.:)

bryan

Veteran Expediter
HI
Yep, thats what we get per loaded mile. You will not get rich quick running a van.You'll make a living slowly but surely.Some months you make more than you'll need to cover overhead and some months you'll make less,so being frugal is a plus.I earn more than most untrained and under educated workers, but less than most college grads.
Definatly not easy money.You will work for every penny you make.Long hours and nobody to pass the work off to unless you run team.The plus side of that is your in charge of your own destiny.If you fail it's because you messed up and if you succeed it because you played your cards right.Its all up to you.
You have to make educated choices everyday.Do I stay here or do I move? How long do I stay here or there?Do I purchase this or do I wait?Does this need fixed right now or can it wait?Who do I have do the repairs on the van?How much do I need to pay in quarterly tax payments?Am I paying to much for this or that?Its all on you.
So educate yourself as much as possible and keep good records.Have a plan before you even start.Also I wouldn't even call this a career, it's more of a life style.It changes every aspect of your life.So be ready for that too. Best of luck.

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
Bryan's 2 minute primer sums it for van owners pretty well, regardless of the carrier to which you lease.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
running local is hard work and in a van have to load way you del it
and when they say could you del this first it in middle have wait until i get to it

TheGoodGuy

Expert Expediter
Great reply Bryan...Thanks for taking the time to enlighten us all.

We've been in this business, for over 12 years now, and by the grace of god we have prospered. We recently sold our D unit and have just made a cash purchase for a long wheel base high top Sprinter, and will have a custom sleeper conversion completed on it next week.

We are incorporated, I do all my own accounting, both our business and personal accounts are extemely positive. We own a beautiful custom built home on a lake in an upscale gated retirement community in Fl. which is paid for. We have an investment portfolio well over six figures. We have an Eldo and a new van sitting in the garage, both paid for, and we did it all by following those simple rules that you stated above.

And if we can do it, ANYBODY CAN!

Please allow me to extend our sincerest wishes, for the best of luck to you also.

Thanks Bryan :)

Roadpig

Expert Expediter
I don't understand why anyone would go into a van these days. The time and work put in is not worth the return on the investment. I especially don't understand anyone trading in a straight truck for a van. It's just not worth it, either get a straight truck or a big rig and do it right, thats your only shot.

.76 a mile?

even in a gas van running an average of 9 mph and fuel sircharge it is not worth it.

Chuck the van, get a truck.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
even in a gas van running an average of 9 mph and fuel sircharge it is not worth it.

Chuck the van, get a truck.
=====================================================================

If your van is only averaging 9 mpg, it is not likely worth it. Most are getting 18 to 20 mpg or higher.

I agree, I don't think it is a winning lottery ticket, but many are making a living doing it.

Just my take.

Davekc

garman351

Expert Expediter
"Wow goodguy"
You failed to mention your gold rolax.

My portfolio is a house with a huge mortgage, a time-ex watch, a leased 2001 freightliner with 436k on the speedo, and my most relaxing time is when I get home and drink cold beer from my refrigerator, "now thats living."

hondaking38

Veteran Expediter
from jackson michigan to smyrna tennessee 538 miles rate 1.00 per mile with .29 fuel surcharge 538 x 1.29=694.05 pick up 6am del time is 2200 it will take me 9.5 hours to make this run so i will have it there at around 3:30 driving a sprinter getting 22 mpg..but read the other posts , theres no money driving a van style vehicle...go figure

tiredofsittn

Expert Expediter
i would be on the bank with my beer in one hand and fishing rod in the other, not out here dodging these idiots in the 4 wheelers and big trucks, and its getting winter to, i think i would take the sprinter back to FL., and put a for sale sign on it.

bigguy1001

Expert Expediter
Tiredofsittin, the fuel surcharge will vary by customer. Some are contractual others are index based. I have seen them as low as zero and I have seen some where there was money left over after paying for the fuel. I can tell you that our drivers average monthly cost of fuel, after surcharges, has been around $1.50 per gallon.
And as far as your shot about not answering your post on a Saturday. This is a message board man, not a chat room. I read this stuff at work occasionaly, at home never. Don't expect an answer, from me, on a weekend. Take care.