Panther Deceit

starmaker

Active Expediter
mad:
In case you haven't been paying any attention :
Your 1st Out's and Board Position mean absolutely nothing @ Panther" This has become evident since they started paying full DH about a year ago.
Multiple trucks with the same criteria, eg: Weight & Load Size Capacity/ License Endorsements/ Hometyme Requests/ Acceptance & On Time % / Load Hours available, etc. are NOT equal!
The CLOSEST & CHEAPEST truck will always get the next Load Offer.
Teams will also get the load before you for long runs.
If you are sitting with a 1st Out for Two or Three Days, and another truck comes in, and parks next to you, that is paid $ .02 less than you, (after 5 Hours, if the next load requires a full clock) he WILL get the next load offer! (Mini's are the exception because they pay the same.)
And this will happen over & over again while you sit!
:mad: Your next Load Offer will only come when they run out of trucks running for less than your contracted amount.
Dispatchers will lie through their teeth as to why another truck got a load before you. Trying to tell you that the other truck had in for Hometyme for the Cons area, or “The Computer picks the truck”
(which they can over-ride) Or, “It was a Hazmat,” if you're not endorsed. Anything than admit the truth, until you can prove their deception. That's what they are counting on.......that you don't know the statistics of the other trucks on the Board.
But, when you're sitting in a large Truck Stop in a slow area, with say, 10 to 15 trucks in the same Parking Lot, and you're all talking to each other, (which I highly encourage) and you know the position & the stats of each truck, all the lies are exposed!
Panther is unfairly punishing it's most dependable & experienced drivers that have stayed and promoted the Company the longest for a few cents per mile. I'm more inclined to think that that's on purpose, than not!
If they discourage enough of the higher priced drivers to quit and go with another Carrier, they only have the massive number of new $.70 to $.73 drivers to pay. Looks like all that matters is the bottom line!
Panther could avoid aggravating the drivers that are at a higher rate, in the same location, with a very simple, fair solution: Maintain the Board Positions Religiously, call the next truck in sequence & explain the price difference, ask if they want to take that load @ a reduced rate. If you're in a bad area, with way too many trucks, I'm sure most drivers would take the load, just to get away. At least the driver has an option, instead of being jumped over behind his back! (I can foresee some abuse possible here, but not if all truckers are talking with one another)
I've been referring to Cargo Vans here, but I'm sure this applies to Straight & Big Trucks also.
Signed, "Had to Vent"
100% On Time
100% Acceptance
89% in Service/30 Days
Long Van 3500 with Hazmat / Single Driver
Position all Week - #1 or 1st Out (Min. Trucks on Board = 3 / Maximum = 14) (Day Average 6 or 7)
Last 7 Days – 1-Load (Mini) (Beginning of Week)
# of Cheaper Trucks, Single or Team got Load Offers since & Gone = Minimum (8) # of Load Offers I received = 0 (You can guess where I'm at)
E.M out of here.....never coming back, unless their tactics change... my answer to Panther will be: “Call a $.70 Truck”. especially when they call , crying for the “favors”, which as long as I can remember are only one way!
In “Their favor”

BigCat

Expert Expediter
And your point is? Everyone here knows first outs and board positions mean nothing. And of course teams have priority over solos on long runs.

And your point is?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
It has been that way for well over a year. In all fairness, I believe vans are probably impacted by that more than other truck sizes. Most of the boards we seem to hit only have a truck or two on them so I can't say we are heavily impacted by it. Really has more to do with what the customer is requesting and your distance to the shipper. As far as first outs, acceptance, boards positions and the like, we pay little attention to any of them.

Last edited:

starmaker

Active Expediter
And your point is? Everyone here knows first outs and board positions mean nothing. And of course teams have priority over solos on long runs.

And your point is?

My point is, BigCat, that you assume everyone here knows that the Board Positions & First Outs mean nothing.
And you know what they say about a person that assumes!
But, I noticed you completely skipped the MAIN point of the Post, which was about the Drivers Rate per Mile being the dominant factor in getting the Load Offer!
Do you know how many new drivers Panthers has put on in the last 6-8 Months??
Think they all know, or are they believing the BS from Dispatch about "you'll be gettin a First Out" Isn't that GREAT! After all, in orientation isn't everyone told that when you're out @ the cons, you go to the bottom of the board and everyone gets their next load in rotation?
My Point is to INFORM anyone who does not know, what the reality is.
Why do you even bother to reply to a post that is so insignificant to someone so knowlegable as yourself?
And, I could care less about your iphone & what program it uses.

starmaker

Active Expediter
I agree with most of your comments, and pretty much run my Van with the same attitude, however, when a Cargo Van is requested, and you're parked next to an equivelant or lesser Van (let's say shorter) and he gets a load offer after he's been there 1-Day, and you've been sitting for3 or 4 with none......how Hot are you going to be? This has been happening constantly for several days. The only difference was Pay per Mile! How do you like "No Check Detail" weeks in your email?
This is in response to daveck

Last edited:

BigCat

Expert Expediter
Actually I realize my post sounded like an ***. I understood what you were saying but was just stating after a few loads everyone figures out the positions are irrelevant.

But it has been discussed here from a bunch of new drivers get in here and post about the first outs and such.

Anyway sorry for sounding like I was jumping your chops I just don't usually read what I write so it comes out wrong.

starmaker

Active Expediter
BigCat... we're O.K..... but again I must stress that the thrust of the Post was about the Pay Rate determining Load-Offers not the Board Position.

hossman2011

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Position to the load is the main determining factor. Closer is the trump... but if you are all sitting on top of each other then rate is the trump... that is business my friend.... fair or not!! it does not take long working for panther to figure out that first outs and board position do not mean much... but paying attention where loads come out in areas means you can try to better your chances by sitting in a better area... or you can just spend your time complaining to the rest of us that take a proactive approach to the issue. By the way We are a ST team..

hossman2011

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
OH yeah we also hit gold in there silly but profitable program, with miles run last period and are already 9,000 miles ahead this period to get gold again.. the reason I bring this up is..... we must be doing something right..... just saying.... also 98% if those loaded miles were at contracted rate or higher... HMMM

dletheridge

Seasoned Expediter
Researching
The situation of First Outs and Board position has been discussed on this forum for quite sometime. It's been 2 years since we went thru orientation, but even then they made a point of saying that the closer you are to the load determines on who gets the load.

It also seems that whenever drivers congregate this subject keeps coming up.

Sorry, if we seem to be unresponsive to you. But we have been onboard with EO for a while and we have seen the discussion many times.

Newtothis

Seasoned Expediter
Problem is short of reading on E/O no one would know how flawed Panthers system in regard to "solo vans" really is...without learning for yourself the hard way after being out from orientation with stars in your eyes. After the stars fade, the team preferences and cheaper contract favoritism realities set in.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Problem is short of reading on E/O no one would know how flawed Panthers system in regard to "solo vans" really is...without learning for yourself the hard way after being out from orientation with stars in your eyes. After the stars fade, the team preferences and cheaper contract favoritism realities set in.

It is something that they should be more forthcoming about. Same with the first outs, board positions, and acceptance ratings. Since they aren't used, I don't know why they even have them? Kinda foolish at this point.

starmaker

Active Expediter
It is something that they should be more forthcoming about. Same with the first outs, board positions, and acceptance ratings. Since they aren't used, I don't know why they even have them? Kinda foolish at this point.

Amen, Dave! Why can't they just tell everyone new & old, There's NO MORE Board, it's: #1-Team needed or not. #2- Closest Truck. #3- Drivers' Pay Rate. "Good Luck to You All"

starmaker

Active Expediter
In response to Newtothis: Finally, someone who got the Whole Point of my Post! Trying to spread the Thuth to anyone who may be new to E/O. I've run into quite a few Drivers who did-not know that their contracted rate was such a determining factor. We should all be talking to one-another out here keeping each other informed.

Last edited:

RETIDEPXE

Veteran Expediter
"and you're all talking to each other, (which I highly encourage)"

Back in the car business, we used to call that hanging out by the water cooler.
Sorry, not my cup-a-tea.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I've been with Panther since 2006. Sometime during my 2nd or 3rd week I was talking to another Panther van driver when he got a load offer. I had more time on the board. I was getting .80/mi. he was getting .75/mi. I did Canada, he didn't. He got the load, I did not. It's business. don't buy into the partner stuff. Since 2006 I have taken 2 pay cuts. When I get the chance to gouge them on a bonus, I do. Hey it's business.

hossman2011

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Exactly Moot... the game works both ways and if you are smart it will always come out in your favor overall.. just have to be a smart business person and ask for what you think is the ridiculous, it will surprise you..

Scuba

Veteran Expediter
BigCat... we're O.K..... but again I must stress that the thrust of the Post was about the Pay Rate determining Load-Offers not the Board Position.
\
I will start with one word then move on WRONG your rate has nothing to do with your load offer dispatch doesn't care what your rate is all they care about is getting that load covered period. Several things come into account closest to the load is number1 then the right equiptment for the load. I have sat right next to other trucks and been #1 on the board and they get the load and my per loaded mile rate is lower than theirs. And i have seen them say no to a truck thats asks for .75 per mile for dh and they turn them down and give me the load and i get a lot more than $.75 per mile if it was all about the $$$ they would give that other driver the $.75 for dh. As for the longer runs going to teams well that makes sense they don't have to look for a swap driver and how many times when they called you to repower a load and you wanted a bouns ? So it's business not personal it's business Some drivers really take advantage of that need and go for blood. Now with all that said i am not saying that yu are one that hits them for xtra money all the time but just think how many others do.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I will start with one word then move on WRONG your rate has nothing to do with your load offer dispatch doesn't care what your rate is all they care about is getting that load covered period.

This isn't true. I caught them dispatching around me about a month ago. I was number 1 on the board and I was closer to the pick up by about 15 miles. This is a load I have run several times in the past. It is 527 miles, usually has about 14 hours to deliver, even though the consignee is open all night, and usually consists of one or two drums of ink, always under 1200 pounds. I asked why I didn't get the load offer. I was told that the new computer system selects the truck (van). I asked if the van that got the load was on a lesser rate per mile than me. The answer was no. I'm not sure how the person I was talking with came up that answer so quick. I saw the weight and dimensions on the load tracking screen and they were well within my specs. The load wasn't given to a team or someone on HomeTyme™.

I asked what parameters the new system used if rate per mile wasn't one of them. She wasn't sure, but was certain several factors entered into the decision. I pressed her for specifics but she offered none. The only conclusion I could reach was the Precious Metal Contest. She couldn't verify that either.

As for the longer runs going to teams well that makes sense they don't have to look for a swap driver and how many times when they called you to repower a load and you wanted a bouns ? So it's business not personal it's business.

Of course it makes sense to put a team on longer runs when a team is available. Besides eliminating the need for a swap driver, it also eliminates the need for a 5 hour break for a van or a 10 hour break for a truck and there is no crossdock fees. You admit in the quote above that it's business, not personal. And I agree! So why can't you understand that when pick time allows, that a load be given to the cheapest truck available? It's business, not personal!

Some drivers really take advantage of that need and go for blood. Now with all that said i am not saying that yu are one that hits them for xtra money all the time but just think how many others do.

I'm not one that hits them up for extra money all the time, but if I think I have a chance being the only one available, I'll gouge them. Hey, it's business, not personal. I've taken two pay cuts since being with Panther. I'll take my pound of flesh every chance I get. Hey, remember, it's business, not personal.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Distance to the pickup is the biggest driver with all things being equal. If all things are equal, then it becomes a rate driven issue. Cheaper guy gets the load......sometimes. It is also set to look at weekly revenue. This is from the guy that changes the parameters within the program. It was originally set up by Sean and Jerry. There are other things that determine who gets the load as well. Several things have been added since its inception.
Case in point. Had a truck on the east coast that had a board position of four. Got a load to TX ahead of the others because they had a load that required a DOD truck with a load going back to the east coast. At that time of booking, they didn't have any DOD inbounding into that area. Can't send the first truck because they can't do the backup.
Quite a few things factor in to it. But make no mistake, rate is one of them. We give it only a certain amount of time depending on the area and activity and then switch to plan "B".