Panther bashing at truck stops?

fortwayne

Not a Member
For the last two months I have enjoyed working with Panther and I will say it comes with some surprise.
While I was with another carrier all I would hear was the famous bashing of Panther. In fact, I fell for much of the talk about Panther, how they were to big, they did not care about their drivers, how they can not keep their drivers moving.
Well, I am glad I decided to put all the trash talking to the side and discover for myself it was just that - uneducated trash talking.
In the past two months, Panther has offered me decent loads everyday I have been in service and have kept me moving as much as I have allowed them to.
And here is the real kicker. About 7-8 days ago, I came down with food poisioning.(I traced that back to a high flying truck stop, no names mentioned here.
When I went out of service and typed on the QC the reason for my out of service - I had a call from a Panther supervisor to see if there was anything they could do for me - now say what you want but that is a company showing they do care!
They even contacted by fleet owner to make him aware I was ill and he called me as well and made sure I was comfortable in a hotel room. (two days) Now that is a fleet owner and a company who care about the personal well being of a driver.
So in my view they keep me moving and they do care.
So before you believe all the bad you here about Panther or for that matter any carrier - step up and make your own decision on what fits you best.
And at least for now - I have found my fit!

Fort Wayne
Stop The Mexican Truckers!

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Just goes to show ya....

Nice to see a positive with all the negative around.

Congrats on finding your fit.

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Congrats on ones enjoyment with there Carrier.

I do know of several happy Panthers, and very strong positive comment on the follow up with illness.

Do not feel reluctant to mention names or how one might get sick out there. If your a Driver and have never had food poison, its not a matter of if but only when.

joebob1_30132

Expert Expediter
I am totoally with you!!!.. I no lnger drive bye the way..no agenda here! i heard the worst stuff about the big cat..When we got bought out I was in laredo, that saterday morning and I was floored ..I made my call to them.. and from jump street There attitude was freindly helpfull proffessional (even with all the confusion)... From then on I really was waiting for the other shoe to drop for about a month and it never did..with only a few technical difficulties ..phone response slow at times They worked with us, explained themselves on any questions I had and addressed any concerns quicliy and most important honestly..... The runs were a lighter than conway who in my opinion couldnt be touched out there. and it wasnt always perfect... but it wasnt was everybody else was saying.

unorthodoxneon

Expert Expediter
I've been with panther for a while and there has been some bad but its expected and i just brush it off. There has been plenty of good things to that happen. One that i can think of off the top of my head was when me and another panther were dispatched on a load. I drove some miles to the pick up and then realized what happened. I talked with someone about the situation and they told me what happened and are very sorry and they will talk with their supervisor about what can be done. The soup calls and says right off the bat he his sorry it happened and even paid me for my time which is more then what i expected. So all in all everything was good and they (not sure if they did this to not make me mad or its the way it happenend) got me a really nice load out from there.

kangar0085

Seasoned Expediter
I doubt they calculated to give you the nice load but it might be true. I'm a happy panther they're even sending me a 1 year jacket with my last name on it :):):). I'm driving for a steel hauling company so I can get my six months OTR experience to meet Panther's requirement and I'm jumping right back on board as soon as I put together a comfortable amount of money to get my own tractor.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Careful...............the secret might get out.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Wow a jacket.

That beats my $500 gift certificate, two night stay at any Ritz Carlton and the regional Christmas party we are now invited to for my first ear anaversary.

oh... wow.... what a dream!

Sorry about that, day dreaming is hard to shake. I think a jacket is a great thing to get, shows company pride when people wear them.

As for the company calling to make sure you are all right, that's good too.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Geez, nothing like raining on someone's parade ..... betcha he feels better now .............

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
After that massive FSC cut earlier this year, I think it is nice that they gave something back. Not quite sure a room and $500 would do it for me.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

EASYTRADER

Expert Expediter
I have never heard anything positive about P-II, but I have to admit all the stories I heard were from Ex-Panther drivers now working for other companies. When I got into this, Panther and FedEx were the companies I was interested in. I went with FECC, because I never heard a positive thing about P-II. In addition I never heard a complaint about FECC.

It is interesting to me that I always ask people how much they grossed a year at P-II and the figure was always higher than what I have heard from FECC drivers. These numbers were from people who quit P-II.

So I don't know, I suppose when you compare the two, since P-ii is so much larger than FECC it stands to reason there will be more complaining. I know if things don't pick up real soon I may be giving
P-II's recruiter a call.

I don't care if they treat me like crap, as long as they give me profitable team runs. (Which FECC can't seem to do)

I drive a D unit, by the way.

fortwayne

Not a Member
Gee, one can not even say something nice without some people trying to be clowns or others trying to be simple asses.
I like some humor some of the time but when someone is trying to be polite can't we just shut the H up!

Fort Wayne

babs3361

Expert Expediter
I got it Greg right off the bat and had a good laugh....lol... While the Panther is not a good fit for everyone. We like being with them. Sure we have good days and bad days. After 4 yrs with them we will stay because the grass is not always greener on the other side.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Took me a while to figure it out. No fast reaction times prior to 10 AM.:7

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

fortwayne

Not a Member
Here I am just one fat driver,
I dont need a solo rider.

I am driving for the cat,
as they make my wallet fat.

Companies come and go in this biz,
many others smell like wiz.

Its all about making the money,
and Panther is my bit ole honey.

Fort Wayne

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Now that is poetry.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

kempers_gramp

Expert Expediter
Congrats on the 1 yr with the black paws.
Panther is great for the Fleet owner and the driver of the fleet owner.

Could someone please define Independent Contractor for me?????

Thanks,
Kemp