Panther and Paperless Logs

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
good luck on the paperless logs,that 500 ft move,well anything less than 1/4 hour you dont have to show,but if you would wake up and want to go to breakfast,you better walk,cause the qc will start your 14 hour clock
also i can see where the 14 hour rule will really cause problems,even with teams
my buck and a half,i'm worth more than 2cents lol

BigBuzd1

Expert Expediter
I stated in another post of mine that the wife and I got started with them on thursday and 1 little mess up on the wifes part on friday and the 2 of us have been in violation of every HOS reg on the book. I hate these things to no end right now...I prefer to keep paper logs and have been keeping them immaculate for the past 2 yrs. While doing paper logs my milage is EXACT...qc logs has not matched up to ANYTHING that we have driven YET...I wish I could be a fly on the wall when log dept looks over our QC logs Monday morning when they get in...the resulting phone call I get should be a hoooooot!

are12

Expert Expediter
Hey Jer and Tina,
How did you make out with the log department today?
So far we are still not running paperless - I guess they are having a hard time fixing the mileage:p :p
Since we are home for the holiday, I am going to assume that we are safe until we come back in to service.:+ :+
Can't wait to hear how you made out!!
Happy Turkey Day!!

BigBuzd1

Expert Expediter
Strange...we never got a call...I was really looking forward to it. lol. would have been fun. QC sent over my log saying I have been on duty for 17 hours. lmao
But jeff st. peirre just sent a fleet wide QC msg saying that anybody can opt in now at this time and it is voluntary until DOT requires ALL drivers and ALL carriers to comply with paperless logs by late 2007 or early 2008. So that other poster who said he would leave his company if it was forced on him isn't going to have anywhere to run too...oops! poor guy. :'(

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
We were suppose to be started on this paperless log yesterday, but so far, no message that they "turned it on" Needless to say, I'm keeping my mouth shut, maybe they'll forget about us. ;)
The mileage thing is going to be a pain because the QC doesn't match the odometer. Figuring out stateline miles will be interesting

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Dip Stick, nimrod, butt head? My, my, my, aren't we just the little slice of sunshine!

Most people don't realize that large pieces of coral, which have been painted brown and attached to the skull by common wood screws,
can make a child look like a deer.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Yeah. I dunno if it was worth deleting, tho. It was just a little sophomoric. Besides, the grammar and punctuation was so bad it was hard to tell that he was actually calling people names. :D

was so bad?
were so bad?

I never paid attention in English class. Tho hehe

are12

Expert Expediter
We will be starting on the paperless logs once we come back after the holiday. (Yes, that is right, we are home for Thanksgiving.)I guess they finally fixed what ever went wrong when we logged in last week.
I wonder how many are actually going to volunteer for the paperless:) :) or will they all wait until they absolutley have to do it?

So Jer and Tina, is it getting easier now that you have been on it for a couple of days? ;-) ;-)

S

sucbadriver

The paperless logs are unforgiving I got dinged for driving 11.01 lol dinged for one min. Right now im in limbo mine is messing up when I go into the bunk it takes me out and puts me driving for an hour then line 4 for an hour then back to line then back to line 4 lol. I violate hos everyday because of this so I had to go back to paper logs until QC figures it out

S

sucbadriver

Another note Panther will be going paperless for pro bills soon. By paperless once you get them signed you will be able to fax them in right from the con or scan them and email them in. This will leed you to getting paid up to 7 days sooner

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
You mean we'll be able to scan the pro bills and fax or e-mail them in? Wow, it's amazing that someone hasn't thought of that already.

Oh, wait, Trip-Pak does that....

Naaaa. Let's not do it that way. It's much better to reinvent the wheel and let the drivers eat the cost of scanning and transmission. If we sell it, I mean really sell it, as they'll be getting paid sooner, they won't even notice that it's gonna cost them more, and we can get rid of a huge chunk of our Trip-Pak snail mail bill. Kewl!

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Your negativity is inspiring. The fax will go to a toll free number. The driver will ask the consignee to use their fax for a toll free number and often they will comply. If they refuse the driver can drop it in a trip pak as usual or if they so desire fax it from elsewhere. The other option is to scan it in the truck with their own scanner and at no charge into their personal computer and then email it. Trip Pak isn't going away. These are just other options being added for the driver's benefit if they choose to use them.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA Life Member 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Just playing Devil's Advocate a bit. :)

Sure, some of the consignees will allow us to copy and fax, but some won't, and some won't even have the capability. I don't have a scanner in my truck, so that's out. Next option is to pay a buck or two per page to scan, and then a buck or two to fax, toll free or not.

My point is, scanning and electronic transmission is a service that TripPak already provides, yet Panther only utilizes the relatively very low cost option of the 1-2 day delivery from DHL. For like $5 a week TripPak will open my envelope and scan and transmit my paperwork to Panther, every day, every load, and they will then follow up with the physical delivery of the paperwork.

This is a cost that can be passed on to the drivers, as it sure beats pestering the consignee to fax paperwork, or scavenging for a place to scan and fax, or of having to mess with a scanner (even one of those little bity ones) in an already cramped truck. And there won't be a need to do anything differently than we do now (other than one pro# per envelope). Just drop the paperwork into a TripPak box and be done with it.

Plus, if I drop my paperwork in a TripPak that goes via the current DHL delivery method, and it arrives at Panther on the next day, there's no reason that that paperwork should take a week longer to process than the paperwork that I e-mailed the same day. Or at least, no one has been able to explain it in a way that I can understand.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all about technology. Give me a Qualcomm unit with an attached scanner and I'm there. Give me a hand-held module so the consignee can UPS-style sign the POD electronically and I'm there. But don't have me duplicating something that is already out there, even as an option, and not give me the option to actually use what is already available.

Here's a suggestion that will hopefully inspire someone: Have the Web designers write code that is compatible with Web browsers other than MS Internet Exploder. The Javascript for "Submit or Review a Complaint" (owner) doesn't work with other browsers, like Firefox, as an example. :)

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The other side of that is you don't have to do anything any differently than you currently are.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA Life Member 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
And flip that over and I should be able to do everything exactly as I do now, and still get paid a week earlier than I do now. :)