Panther and Paperless Logs

JustUsTrucking

Expert Expediter
We got picked. Not sure what to think. Truthfully, I think we'd rather stick with the paper log's. But, we'll give it a whirl. Like anything new, it will take some getting used to.:D

are12

Expert Expediter
That was our thoughts exactly!! Should be very interesting - to say the least!!:+ :+

easyrider2697

Expert Expediter
Better get used to the idea, all trucks will have to be paperless within the next 12-14 months, right now those of us with qc's that are set up are ready to go with it. I think its a wonderful idea, it saves a lot of paperwork errors and maximises you time, no more lines to draw!!!

All you have to do is move the truck more than like 500 feet and it starts you'r time and when sitting still in traffic for more than 3 minuets is stops you time, completely maximises drive time in real minuets not 15 minuet windows, gonna love those 5 minuet pti's!!

well thats my 2 cents worth good luck be safe!!

are12

Expert Expediter
When I spoke to Logs yesterday, I forgot to ask when this started so I called today to find out. Apparently we will be up and running as soon as they finish entering our info-which should be later today. I was hoping they would tell us we had to wait to get the new qualcomm in our truck - I guess that was just wishful thinking!!
From what I was told, there will be 92 trucks starting out with this - Elite Services and new hires. By March, the whole fleet will be paperless.
I am sure it will be fine once we get use to it but I hate change!!:+ :+
Good luck to all that have been choosen.

JustUsTrucking

Expert Expediter
You would leave a carrier because they have gone to paperless logs? Seems like kind of an extreme knee jerk reaction. It's the wave of the future, eventually any company of size will go this route.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Some truckload carriers tout paperless logs in their recruiting ads. Declaring how much easier it is for the driver. And for safety departments it must be great. Everything is handled electronically. No envelopes to open, no logs to sort and scan.

Eventually all trucks will be forced to run paperless logs, thus adding another finacial burden to the single truck and small fleets.

I guess paperless logs are better than paperless restroom stalls.

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
Would I consider changing carriers over paperless logs. Sure would if I don't like how they work I would be gone. As a team they won't matter that much, but as a single, it could impact the driver beyond believe. And an expedite driver even more.

While I do agree that they will be FORCED on drivers sooner than later, it does not mean I have to like it, nor be with some of the first "cutting edge" companies to adopt the crap. It is the same thing as an on board recorder, okay not the same but same idea.

How many solo drivers have had a nut case in saftey send a QC to pull over for your rest break while you had plenty of drive time to go. Now they will have the same chance to "look" at your logs and guess weather that "500 foot move was going to breakfast a mile down the road. (unloaded) Computer starts your 14 hour clock and unknown to you you are out of hours to do the next run.

If you think it's great you are a team driver or I changed what I was going to say but lets just say you may not have thought it out.

The favorite thing is to say well there will be a slight learning curve. Can you say hairpin curve. While they figure it out the next driver gets the run while you sit with no income.

Don't think so? wait till we hear from one of the choosen solo's.

themagicoen

Expert Expediter
Thats my grief with them too. We ALL do it - move the truck but don't log it. Now, most Panther safety staff would give you a 10-15% lee way on it - if you ever seen their set up there isn't much change in the paperless, just its transmitted over the QC. Their computers show every time they truck is moved, how far, what speed, etc. I was dinged TONS of points for my avg 71mph in Ohio, IN and IL. So the true question is after the full switch over will they still give you that lee way...

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I believe that 500 foot move for breakfast is a loggable event. Technically I believe a 5 foot move is a loggable event. For that matter even sitting in the front seat during a break is a loggable event. Paperless logs will take away the ability to make these moves without logging but otherwise will add a lot of convenience.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA Life Member 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
Unless they recently changed the Regs. You may use the truck as a car if it is unladen.

Question 26: If a driver is permitted to use a CMV for personal reasons, how must the driving time be recorded?

Guidance: When a driver is relieved from work and all responsibility for performing work, time spent traveling from a driver's home to his/her terminal (normal work reporting location), or from a driver's terminal to his/her home, may be considered off-duty time. Similarly, time spent traveling short distances from a driver's en route lodgings (such as en route terminals or motels) to restaurants in the vicinity of such lodgings may be considered off-duty time. The type of conveyance used from the terminal to the driver's home, from the driver's home to the terminal, or to restaurants in the vicinity of en route lodgings would not alter the situation unless the vehicle is laden. A driver may not operate a laden CMV as a personal conveyance. The driver who uses a motor carrier's CMV for transportation home, and is subsequently called by the employing carrier and is then dispatched from home, would be on-duty from the time the driver leaves home.

romoore245

Expert Expediter
Hadn't realized they were starting already. When we switched over from Conway we were told they were not planning to go paperless for over a year. Guess it was just a "Don't scare the new people." type remark. It will drive out many solo trucks who from what I understand already run out of hours way to easy. As a team the only problems, other than the Black box effect, will be I like to drive faster than recommended, and what do you show the officer when he asked to see your logbook. If we have to keep logs anyway then what is the point of the paperless? At least it will keep the errors to a minimum that might be nice. Conway once lost six weeks of logs.

Good luck to the testers.

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
We argued this point at orientation. The regs say you can use the vehicle as a personal vehicle but the logs dept says it's company policy to log all time behind the wheel. So....we'll get dinged on it, because I'm not going to be stuck for weekend somewhere and not be able to go to Walmart or something when it's perfectly legal to do so. Heck, why be a "paid tourist" if you cant tourist? :p

I get dinged with the stupid stuff (no total hours, no pro number etc) x( Maybe this electronic log will keep that from happening LOL

themagicoen

Expert Expediter
If a cop want to see your logs you can show them the QC or there is a can ed msg to have your logs faxed to location of his choice for review.

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
Violation of a company policy is a bad, bad, bad thing. But if it does not violate a DOT regulation, should you be cancelled for it.

Now Leo did not say that he did everything by the book so I am talking about him. But how many of you log 100% by the Dot regs. And so as to not single you out by name, 95% don't if not more. How many log going from line 3 to line 1 when going in and picking up a coffee. or when getting out of the truck to talk to another person. how about when you fill out your quarterly maint. report. Or when you sit at home and figure out your profit and loss sheet. While loading the truck with clothes at home. I know someone will say you do,and well bless your pea picking heart.

If you don't log these you violated DOT reg's and company policey.

Oh I forgot, I never violate Company policey or DOT reg's. :}

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
Looks like we'll be doing the "paperless" thing too. This is going to take some getting used to.x(

DocRushing

Expert Expediter
These are real questions, not an attempt at comedy:
In the case when a team truck runs with Qualcomm paperless logs,
how does the QC know -- how does the team tell the QC -- which driver -- which of the two -- starts a trip or a day's work -- or when the two drivers swap seats -- or swap between the bunk and the left seat?
Further, when the truck stops, how does the QC distinguish between "off duty" and "on duty not driving"?
Thanks.
Doc.

PantherPower

Seasoned Expediter
In response to how will they know when drivers change, etc...

If you take your QualComm and push "Create Message" and then use the + and - keys, you will see a list of all available canned messages that you can scroll through. I imagine that these will become activated when the time comes.

For instance, Message 28 is "HOS Switch Drivers"
Message 27 is "HOS Request Logs"
Message 25 is "HOS Duty Status Change"

There are many more canned messages that aren't listed that I, personally, would like to see Panther use.

There is one called "Bump the Dock". The way it works is that you send Message 2 when you arrive at shipper like normal. Once you are finally able to actually get into a dock to get loaded, you send the "Bump the Dock" message. Same for when you arrive at the consignee. That would let dispatch see a better picture of what's going on. It might even stop those "are you getting loaded yet?" messages! :p

are12

Expert Expediter
>Further, when the truck stops, how does the QC distinguish
>between "off duty" and "on duty not driving"?
>Thanks.
>Doc.

The QC will not distinquish between "Off Duty and On Duty Not Driving" but that is when you use the Macro 25 for Change of Duty Status. According to the log department we will be able to change anything but the driving time.
I guess we will have to wait and see how it all goes! Wish us luck!:+ :+