own authority

bakomk

Seasoned Expediter
After i get my own authority and get insurance what do i do next?
I was told something about putting myself in a pool with other drivers for the drug test or something.
If some one can pls help me with the answers.
I already got my DOT and ICC numbers.
I got straight truck and want to try getting some loads myself.
Also any good sites for load searching ???

Thank's in advance and god bless all of you :)

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
You have the ball rolling on this and you still don't know what's going on? Hmmm...

OOIDA is a great place to get info on becoming independent.

DougTravels

Not a Member
Can you even see the cart anymore? It sounds like it is about 2 miles out in front of your horse.

There are loads on pickatruckload.com you can look at the 30ct per mile ltl there. Try "you ship"maybe won't get you that premium 30cts there. NLM a couple of grand to look? I believe Active Aero and the overflow boards are available but I am not sure which hoops you need to jump through.

At this stage you should already know these things, (I know, I would know before getting that far) good luck!

timothy_flood

Seasoned Expediter
OOIDA is a good source. Foley services will take care of your drug and safety things for you. You'll need these things for the good ol govt audits, but they were real reliable. Good luck to ya and don't let folks get to you. The process seems scary but you'll have people calling you and mailing you info for a long time.

CharlesD

Expert Expediter
Just what we need,some one else low bidding and nocking the bottom out of the market

It's not the small independents that are driving the rates down. It's the cheapskate larger carriers that are running vans at .70 and straight trucks at $1.10 and fighting each other tooth and nail for the loads. Most independents I know, myself included, are trying to get more money for the loads than we made as leased on drivers. That's why I went independent, to make more money, not low ball the bids because I have a lower overhead. I'm seeing larger carriers bidding rock bottom because they have so many trucks they can run each one at a smaller margin and still make money. I need to make a larger margin for each truck because I don't have that many units running.

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
Charles,

You say good things. But if it weren't for us, who would they have to blame?

Bakomk,

What kind of vehicle and license you are running will determine the drug and alcohol thing. Unless you're running T/T, I doubt OOIDA will be able to helo you with the load thing. The glamor will cease as soon as you get that first quote on liability insurance. I must agree with Doug that from the sounds of it, you have the cart before the horse. If you don't know where freight comes from, I'd voluntarily suspend that authority and go work for someone else for a few years. You'll be doing yourself a favor.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Exceptions to every rule, of course. I sat here this morning and watched an independent single owner/operator in a cargo van bid on, and win, an 810 mile load from New Bern, NC to Kokomo, IN for $494.00 flat. That's a hair less than 61 cents a mile.

I inquired as to his sanity, politely, of course.

"Hey, it'll cost me $100 in fuel, the rest I keep. I only ran one load for 400 miles last week, I'm tired of sitting. I'd rather run stuff for 60 cents a mile than sit and do nothing."

And there you have it. Confirmed, insane. He lives in Detroit, so it's not like he's looking to get home or sumthin'.

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
Hey Turtle...if you're still in New Bern, NC...would you mind going across the bridge and check on my house? We haven't seen it in a few months! LOL

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
hehe The load was in New Bern, but I'm in Kenly at the J. :)

Dropped south of Raleigh, same distance to here or Haw River, figured everyone else was there, so I came here. No one here but Mr Insane, and he's gone now.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Look to be diving in a pool of about 6 inches of water.
I think I would wait, and really get a better handle of what you are going to jump into.
If you are asking those questions, you aren't ready.
The good news is, your finding out now BEFORE you become a early casualty

paid vacationer

Seasoned Expediter
Just what we need,some one else low bidding and nocking the bottom out of the market

Actually it's "larger" companies and independents responding to a really crappy supply/demand situation. I'm not going to tell anyone to go out and get their own auth. but i just did. Maybe it's the meds..... Will i take a cheap but profitable load late on Fri that del. Mon..... yep Beats sitting the weekend. Would I have 2 years ago.....nope, unless i put me in a better spot on Mon. Too many factors involved. Nobody is "k"nocking the bottom out of the market....that is the market working as it should. If you dont like the free market then just stay here in America, seems capitalism is losing favor quickly. Can't wait to be told by that pesky "uncle" of mine and yours, just what my services are worth. That afterall is the alternative to free markets.