Our Freightliner Nightmare Continues. Your Opinions, Please.

Humble2drive

Expert Expediter
The LV Freightliner dealer is one of the worst Freightliner have. not a good place to do business with.

Just want to jump in here and say that we spent 3 days being jerked around by LV Freightliner as well. Caught them in a lie, asked for the keys to our truck, drove away and will never return.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Had a neighbor that gave up on a truck soon after buying it.
Cat said he had a Peterbilt problem.
Peterbilt said he had a Cat problem.
It's great to go to a dealer and say fix it. It's all yours.
We do all our PM's at a Volvo dlr. They know what to look for, will have the proper filters, and can check recalls.
The new engines get Oil Changes at 35,000 miles. I think the Detroits may be 50,000 miles.
My premium PM at a large Volvo dlr was $299. Included fuel and water filter,tire pressire,etc.

Mdbtyhtr

Expert Expediter
Be careful to keep the failed part. I know nobody wants to drag an oil pan around, but you will be caught short when you have no causal part to submit for reimbursement. Having been a Ford Heavy Truck service manager in a prior life, the engine manufacturers/re-manufacturers treated us just as poorly as the LV Freightliner dealer treated you.

Best of luck and keep your cool.

Scott

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
I State Freightliner in Missoula, MT and the Peterbilt dealer in Effingham, IL. treated us very well.
Have you ever considered having an exorcism performed on your truck?
Just kidding AJ. Sorry to hear about another problem.

Sent from my EVO using EO Forums

guido4475

Not a Member
I wonder if calling 1-800- FTL-HELP would help? I am sure that is the Freightliner corporate hotline, the one I had to use several times to resolve my Freightliner issues.

I don't have a warm and fuzy feeling when it comes to a Freightliner product. My assesment of a Freightliner is the same as a snap-together model. They are cheap, thrown together truck. I had both new and used. It didn't matter.The dealer service was terrible.To me, A Freightliner is just a fancy fleet truck.With a terrible re-sale value.People buy them because they are one of the lowest priced trucks available, but cost more in the long run, with downtime, etc.Don't get me wrong, they look nice, and have an impressive interior, but that is not what makes us the money out here, either.

I than bought a Kenworth, and it was a night and day difference for both service and truck quality. Granted, it was not as roomy in the cab as a Freightliner, but I absolutely loved that truck. Doors shut nice and tight and solid.They sealed nice.As opposed to a new Freightliner that let snow blow in when I was on the NY thruway in sub zero weather going down the road. Yes, the doors were adjusted right....lol....nothing like seeing snowflakes come in, across you're face in a new truck...lol..I absolutely loved a Paccar product, and if I was to go back into a straight truck, that would be my only choice. It has a high re-sale value.It is a solid, firm, sturdy well built truck, from the frame up.There is no comparison. And the dealers have a pride about them, and treat you with respect. And there is usually less of a wait.

Sorry if I offended anyone, and stepped on a few toes and pride over what I said about a Freightliner, but just speaking from experience..

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
I hate it that you are at vegas freightliner. That place is a POS. Wish we all would have known ahead we would have steered you way clear of there.

When we stayed in vegas for a repair we had good luck, service and a nice stay at the speedway. Nice folkes and treated us well.

usafk9

Veteran Expediter
Wish he would post. We may need to be getting bail money together.

Yesterday morning, called to get the update, and the former Quebec resident that works there says, "Geez, we just opened up two minutes ago. I don't know anything." Two and a half hours later, still no update, so I walk my behind down there, and those were the same words I uttered to my wife about the bail money.

"Oh, I forgot to call you back." YA THINK? Oil pan has allegedly been ordered at that point, being overnighted to them. UPS and FedEx both arrive before 11. Pan will be there this morning, and we'll be on the road this afternoon.

While outside the hotel having a smoke this morning, I watch the UPS guy zoom by, so figure I should get a status update. "Parts should be here this afternoon, and it should be done tomorrow." SHOULD BE? TOMORROW? Parts get ordered through the Detroit shop, and then sent over to FL. Their techs end work at 3 PM, and the broom-pushers and oil-changers work until 7. I called again this afternoon, now 3 days and 3x $76 hotel stays into this fiasco, to make sure the parts arrive. It has, and the mechanic is "on it". Truck will be done in the AM. Not holding my breath. I ask why I can't get a phone call back, and the French Canuck expat says they are "swamped". I understand swamped, but don't understand why a shop that is so busy is only open from 7-7, and their real mechanics only work one shift.

I should mention a couple of things: One, I have no issue or offense toward Canadians in general (okay, maybe one ;)), nor Quebec natives. This guy, however, totally rubs me the wrong way with his coarse, abrasive talk. Reminds me a lot of the French jerks that used to show up to NATO Beer Call when I was stationed in West Germany. "Please tell me again about your military exploits....." Those nights usually ended with several of them being removed in handcuffs.

Second, I took Rocketman's advice and called FL-Help (Thanks for that, BTW). The guy there was real nice, said he would start getting answers from both of the shops involved, and would get the district manager(s) involved. Felt somewhat like a Korean massage parlor......except no happy ending. At least that's what I've heard. BTW, I explained to they guy about my 47-day debacle, and he states to me that that's actually pretty quick. Completely unacceptable. Absolutely no way in anyone's world that should be okay.

Third, I should have researched a little more about where to go with service work. After several people chimed in here, I now know.

Fourth, Freightliner does not make engines. They could care less about who provided an engine. I was real naive in assuming that Daimler Trucks North America and all their subsidiaries worked as one. Both the Washington shop and the one here in Vegas made it real clear that they're not Detroit Diesel. Going to any FL shop for warranty work on ANY engine is probably like looking to the Detroit Lions for warranty work on the blower motor on my '95 Econoline. Yeah, they both say Ford on the outside, but could care less about one another.

Fifth, I should and hope to be shot if I ever consider buying ANY Daimler product ever again. I asked for candor, and thank everyone for providing it. I can't say that every one of my Detroit/FL experiences have been ugly, but most have. That's a clincher for me. I'm just looking for the good outweighing the bad.

Right now, jjoerger is busy setting his DVR for future episodes of Las Vegas Jail. Sorry to disappoint, Jimmy........hahahaha. I kept my cool. Tomorrow may be different, however.

Thanks everyone for your input. I'll update again this weekend. Hopefully, we'll be hauling freight.

EasyDoesIt

Active Expediter
I bought a 98 Century Select Truck from Davenport Freightliner. I had 13 months of headaches. They warrantied a head gasket only because I had it diagnosed elsewhere. Nothing else seemed to be under warranty for one reason or another. My experience with Freightliner shops would be high rates and poor service. My last company truck was a 2010 Cascadia. It had a few problems but that was great equipment with a DD13.

Last edited:

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I bought a 98 Century Select Truck from Davenport Freightliner. I had 13 months of headaches. They warrantied a head gasket only because I had it diagnosed elsewhere. Nothing else seemed to be under warranty for one reason or another. My experience with Freightliner shops would be high rates and poor service. My last company truck was a 2010 Cascadia. It had a few problems but that was great equipment with a DD13.

So far the detroit engines seem to be holding up well. Do agree on the FLT dealerships though, the good ones are getting harder and harder to find. I hope AJ gets their truck back today as sometimes the simpliest repairs can turn into days. I swear no one has a parts department any more.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Was just told this story again yesterday about a select truck warranty.
Guy takes his truck to Frtlnr and reports a suspected rear end problem.
Frtlnr says "If we pull it out and it's OK we'll charge you $600".
Do it. I'm confident there's a problem.
Frtlnr pulls it out and reports "It's starting to go but not bad enough to repair under warranty at this time."
Owner says " Put it back. When it fails you can fix it under warranty".
Frtlnr says "If you put it back now we won't warranty it because you were advised that it's bad now".
Oh yeah, he owes them a minimum of $600.
He got his personal affects,left truck,filed BK, left his family,and is working at Sam's Club in Anchorage.
His life was one a downward spiral but his Select Truck was the straw that broke the camels back.
True story.

In retrospect, he should have replaced the rears,fought the $600 (if he had it to pay at the time) and then fought for the repair when it failed.

Monty

Expert Expediter
I swear no one has a parts department any more.

And that's why expediters exist!

As for the $600.00 ...... that would have not applied had he had the repair performed.

"If we pull it out and it's OK we'll charge you $600".

Even a Freightliner dealer can't work for free. Anyway you're right, he should have had the repairs done.

Last edited:

zorry

Veteran Expediter
The thing is if they reinstalled the original rear AT THAT TIME the cost was on him.

If he reinstalled the ALMOST BROKE rear they wanted $600 and told him it would void his warranty.
If he put in rebuilt rear the cost was his also.

Makes no sense. They were just out to bend him over which shouldn't happen to anyone.

That's why he didn't buy a truck from Louie, The Truck King.

He should of had corp get involved.
Instead he walked away.

Last edited:

usafk9

Veteran Expediter
We have the truck back. Freightliner is now fully involved, as the screwing we're presently getting is from Valley Freightliner. We'll see if FL forces their hand to get them to do the honorable thing. Accepted a load going near there, so, if we don't get satisfaction, I'll be filing suit. I shouldn't have to do it, but will on principle. As it stands right now, we footed the entire bill minus Valley Freightliner's $250 'goodwill gesture'. That's an insult. The repair was $1500. I have the old oil pan. Not the old one that came on the engine assembly we bought, but the old one that was on our original engine. Yeah...that one.

I'll be sure to post the results-good or bad.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Sorry to hear that. I hope some carriers read some of these adventures and have a realization or education as to why many won't run cheap freight. This is one of the many reasons.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
It's too bad we don't have a sticky thread in the truck talk section where people can name the good and bad shops and the experiences they have had with them.
That way when we need a good shop we can have a resource to help us decide where to go. Even a list of names with a star rating would be good.

moose

Veteran Expediter
Oh yeah, he owes them a minimum of $600.
He got his personal affects,left truck,filed BK, left his family,and is working at Sam's Club in Anchorage.
His life was one a downward spiral but his Select Truck was the straw that broke the camels back.
Well, how-come he got approved on a truck ownership loan to begin with ?
this is what got as all to the 2008 mess in the 1st place,
first & last payments down, just sign here & we have EZ financing...everyone are per-approved.
BTW, Camels back never get broken. if the load is too heavy the camel will simply sit down on the ground till some of the load is been removed.

Hyperdrive

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
AJ

Sorry to hear of the problems with the pan. You had all of the stars out of line in LV. Sounds like you did not get what you paid for. Appears the engine you paid for is not what was installed. Valley could have ordered a long block and charged for a complete assembly. They also, might have, charged you labor to strip your parts and reinstall on your "complete" eng. Check your other parts to see if they are your old ones.
I have always had the best luck with Detroit dealers.