Orientation

chris314

Seasoned Expediter
Bought a van last week, getting it out fitted for expediting. Have orientation on Monday.......... Going to work for P. What can I expect? Hope I can hang on in this crazy business. 2008 chevy express 2500 if you were wondering. Tryin to get my newbie self to figure out the best way to put E tracks on the walls of the van, and why doesn't P require them to be on the floor. I put some there anyway. Any remarks, advice, ideas?
Thanks

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Tryin to get my newbie self to figure out the best way to put E tracks on the walls of the van,

I don't know if this is the best way but it worked for me. I cut a 10" wide strip of ⅝" plywood and secured it to the sidewall ribs with Tek screws and bolts. I attached the E-Track to the plywood with a bucket load of wood screws. This setup is not for decking but works well securing drums or top heavy freight in conjunction with the floor mounted E-Track.

expoditer67

Seasoned Expediter
i wouldnt waste my time driving for panther u will run your van into the ground with them i hear to many bad things about them hope u read this before orientation if not lots of luck

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Don't listen to him, he doesn't even know where is . key is.

14Wheeler

Seasoned Expediter
He can't find the CAPS key either.

:mad:Not another "i hear" story:mad:

Another rumor being spread by someone the OP does not need to even consider legitiment.

Falligator

Expert Expediter
He can't find the CAPS key either.

:mad:Not another "i hear" story:mad:

Another rumor being spread by someone the OP does not need to even consider legitiment.
I have been running with the kitty cat for four years. I live in Florida, and it's not really that great with panther. I however, have had some really good weeks, and some really bad weeks. I had a 4,200 loaded mile week before the Christmas holiday last year. Last week, I had only 631 miles total. Of course, I was in Florida until Tuesday. Still I do run to Canada and it has saved me from having no miles at all. It just depends on how you run and the area you live in and how long you are willing to stay out on the road. Oh and good luck...bring some lunch sandwiches with you b/c the food ain't that great...LOL

chris314

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks guys. I live in the Cleveland area.......well kinda.....south in the country out by Atwood Lake. Bout an hour drive from my drive to Cleveland. Anyway, thanks for the posts. I am excited and ready to get out on the road. A little nervous about getting loads and staying busy......hopefully everything will be good. Is 300 miles a day asking to much?????

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Is 300 miles a day asking to much?????
Depends on how you ask. If you want 300 miles a day, every day, then yeah, that's too much to ask. 300 miles a day for an average over the course of the week, no, that's not too much.

Then again, expecting, for sure, to get any given mile figure is really expecting too much. There will be times when you sit for 2 or 3 days between loads, there will be other times when you run a 600 mile load one day and an 800 miles load the next, and then a 500 mile load after that. If you are a solo in a van, you can generally count on about 1000 miles a week, some less, some more, some a lot more. Once you get the hang of it, you'll have better ideas of where to go, and more importantly, where not to go, and then your miles will generally be better. But at the start, don't count on more than 1000 or 1200 miles per week. There are lots of people who do 3000 miles in a month, and consider it a good month.

chris314

Seasoned Expediter
Thats the perfect answer to my question. An average of 300 miles a day over the course of a week, I think I can live on that. Whats up with the reduced rate loads??? Been reading about those. Is it posible to figure numbers on a base of .70 per mile for a gross...........I know I should probably figure .50 per mile to be safe (so I don't get my hopes up) but I am an FNG....newbie. So please excuse my dumb questions. I am really excited about this. Got the floor in my van all installed tonight. Now all I am gonna do is put a water proofing toner on it looks sweet did it to the rails on the walls for the E-tracks. Still need sirius radio...........
Thaks again Turtle. I assume you run for Panther. I really appreciate the help.

chris314

Seasoned Expediter
Oh yeah, I saw the list for the "good cities" what are some examples of where not to go? I'm thinkin Florida and Laredo for starters......any others?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
For the floor, Minwax Polycrylic works wonders. About 3 coats. It's sticky enough (poly) to keep things where you place them, and hard enough (acrylic) to keep the wood protected and in good shape. Water proof, and oil proof, which you will appreciate when you haul a greasy engine dripping oil and stuff all over the place. It will require a good cleaning with soapy water and a scrub brush and then another 2 or 3 coats about once a year. I know a lot of people who replace their plywood decking every 6 months or a year. Mine is 4 years old.

Reduced rate loads are a PITA, but only if you let them. Don't forget about the FSC. I don't know what contract you signed, but you really want the one with the variable FSC instead of the structured, or flat rate FSC. You'll get some low ones here and there, but the larger ones make up for the low ones in the end.

Does your contract specify .70 per loaded mile, or .77? I had heard that all the new van contracts (since maybe a year ago) are .70 a mile. If it's .70, don't take anything less than that, for sure. For me, a reduced rate is anything under .77 cents. If I get a reduced rate load offer of .70, then it better have a real barn burner of a FSC, like at least 20 cents, or it had better be taking me to a place that I really want to go, with little or no deadhead on the backend. Most of the reduced rates I get anymore are in the 75 cent range, and often with a slightly higher (or at least acceptable) FSC, which when added together makes the load worth running. If not, I'll turn it down.

The FSC should be in the 18-22 cent range, give or take, it varies wildly sometimes. So when you add the contract rate to the FSC, that's what you're really getting paid per loaded mile. Some figure the base rate and forget about the FSC, knowing that the FSC will usually take care of most or all of the fuel (depending on your fuel economy). Some figure the base plus the FSC and use loaded miles, others use it for all miles. Either way is fine, but if you figure the gross for loaded miles, then you need to ensure that, over time, your deadhead is as close to or below 20% of total miles driven as possible.

I'd recommend taking pretty much everything you are offered for the first 3-6 months, unless you know for sure that it's a stinker of a load. Some will turn out great, some will suck rocks, but after a few of those sucky ones you'll learn which ones to avoid or turn down, which areas not to go to, etc. But most importantly you'll learn why certain loads should be turned down, and not just in theory or because someone else told you to.

As for the places not to go, that's a tough one. People say don't go to Florida, yet every time I go there I get loaded right back out. People say Houston is great, yet every time I go there I sit and rot for weeks, months, years. Don't go to Laredo unless there are few vans there and even fewer en route (dispatch will tell you about both if you ask them). DO't take a load to Laredo unless you are prepared to deadhead out on your own dime (and it'll be about 800 miles of you do), or unless you are prepared to sit there for a week. Generally, though, most loads you gt out of there will be a weeks' work of miles, so it's a semi-vacation trade-off in many cases.

For my money, the worst cities are any cities in Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, Illinois (other than Chicago), or what I lovingly refer to as Midwest Hеll. You can get a load from Wooster to Chilicothe to Van Wert to Detroit to Ft Wayne to Indianapolis to Cincinnati to Columbus to Akron to someplace else in Midwest Hеll, all relatively short run, and you get the privilege of being #17 on a 4 a day board at each delivery. Them's the weeks you ain't gonna to 300 miles a day.

I prefer the fringes, where no one else is, where the loaded miles are generally longer. You may have to sit an extra day or even three between loads, but a 1000 mile load can make up for a little sitting. I'd tell you where all I've been in the last 3 weeks or so, but that'd just freak you out.

I'm currently 20 miles east of Spokane, WA, practicing my scope skills for when Layoutshooter passes by here in 2 or 3 days. :D

chris314

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks again Turtle, that makes me feel better about getting into this. It would suck to be #17 on a 4 day board......:( I thought it would be a little different being as midwest hell is in the middle of the frieght lanes. I am sure you are speaking from experience on that. Why keep the deadhead miles under 20% of the loaded miles though? I mean obviously you aren't getting paid for em' but still curious about that one. As far as the floor goes. Thats a kick a** idea. I put a water proofing toner on and was thinkin about a clear coat.....but your way is better.
.70 per mile is where I will be. Signing the contract on Monday I do belive, and with a variable FSC (thank you very much on that one) Does the .70 go up after you have been in the ranks for a while or is that just the signs of a bad economy.....

It wouldn't surprise me if you told me where you have been.....lol. I drove for PAM for a while. Talk about middle of nowhere runs.....Pharr Tx, and some place in Nebraska......can't remember, just to name 2. :D
Have a good one and stay safe.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Chris: keeping the DH low is one of the most important factors in profit vs loss. Not just because you pay for the fuel, but also from the standpoint of wear & tear on your vehicle, and time & energy used. DHing 800 miles out of Laredo will leave you too tired to run a load when you get to where you can expect one.
Like Turtle, I've had some great runs out of both Fl [to California] and Laredo [Detroit] so don't cross them off the list entirely.:)

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Yup, like Cheri said, deadhead will kill you out here on many levels. As for the percentage, in expediting with a van, you need to expect your deadhead to be between 20% and 30% of your loaded miles. If it's more than 30%, you're deadheading too much, chasing freight too much, likely moving when you should be sitting and waiting. On the other hand, if it's much below 20%, then you're probably sitting too much and not as aggressively moving to obtain a load. It's a balancing act, to be sure, and it will take some time to get it all nailed down. Just don't look make the mistake of trying to keep the deadhead on each individual load at below 20%. Some will be 35% or more, some will be 1% or less. But over time, if your deadhead starts creeping up, you can then start turning down a few high deadhead loads here and there until your total deadhead falls into line.

Another reason for the 20% figure, especially if you look more at loaded miles and not all miles, which is how I look at it, then the 20% figure will generally ensure that the FSC covers not only loaded miles fuel, but fuel for deadhead, as well. If you get 15MPG, that won't apply. If it's 20MPG or more, you're set. But the deadhead percentage also needs to figure into things. Like, if I get one that's 90 miles deadhead for 200 loaded, that's 45% deadhead. If the FSC is like 12 cents, that's fine for the loaded miles, but I can't eat 45% unpaid deadhead on something like that. If the FSC is like 20 or 25 cents, on top of my .77 loaded mile pay, then the deadhead is pretty much covered, unless the load is taking me to a place where I'll have a lot of deadhead on the backend.

Some people don't look at deadhead percent as much as I do, and instead look at all miles and what the total pay is for all miles. The load example above, using your 70 cents per mile contract, would be 290 miles driven, which pays .82 per loaded mile in the first example, which comes to $164 total pay (.82 x 200). The per mile for all-miles would be 56.55 cents per all miles. With the larger 20 cents FSC, the total pay is $180 and for all-miles it's 62.06 per all miles. If the FSC is 25 cents, it goes to $190 and 65.52 cents per all mile.

At 20 MPG and $2.75 per gallon gas, the fuel cost to run that trip is $39.88. The fuel cost percentage of the three above figures is:
$164 - 24.32%
$180 - 22.15%
$190 - 20.99%

By the same token, if the deadhead was 20%, or 40 miles, of those 200 loaded miles, at 12 cents and 70 cents per mile, the total pay is the same $164, but the per all miles figure ends up being 68.33 cents per all miles. At that rate per all miles, figuring 290 miles times .6833, would pay $198.

So, whether you look at all-miles and depending on your Cost Per Mile (something that you'll very quickly need to take a close look at and figure out) you can come up with a minimum per-mile dollar figure for all-miles, or if you take a look at loaded revenue while keeping your deadhead as close to 20% as possible, it doesn't matter which method you chose, as long as you are keenly aware of your situation at all times.

Int he above example that pays $168, and that would pay $198 if the deadhead were at 20%, I'd have to take a close look at turning that load down, unless I was able to get an extra $25 or so out of them to cover that deadhead. Granted, the customer is where the customer is, and they could nor the carrier care less about how much deadhead I have, but the bottom line is that it's my truck and my business and without that extra $25 it's simply not in my best interest to run the load (again, unless it takes me someplace that I want to be, or some other factor that may come in to play).

Think of deadhead miles as any and all unpaid miles put on the van. That includes running round town when at home, jut as it includes driving from a bad area towards a good one. I look at mine every so often, by taking the current odometer reading and subtracting the beginning year odometer reading, to get my total miles driven. I divide that into my total loaded miles for the year to date, and that's my YTD deadhead percentage. Right now it's at 19%, so I know that I can take a few loads that have longer than normal deadhead in them and still be OK YTD. It's not a day-to-day or week-to-week thing, it's over time, monthly, quarterly, yearly. You'll have some great weeks and some weeks that you want to just kill yourself, but over time they all average out.

On the floor, I have had a forklift rip a couple of chunks out of mine, but a little Bondo and a power sander, another few coats of Polycrylic, and it's good as new.

As for the .70 contract rate going up, it might happen, but I wouldn't hold my breath. I've never known Panther to increase a contracted rate. On the other hand, if the new contracts 6 months or a year from now are set for 68 cents or 65 cents, they won't force you to sign a new one, either. They'll let you stay at your current contracted rate. Can't say that about a lot of carriers.

Oh, while I'm thinking about it, in orientation someone may tell you that deadhead doesn't matter, all that matters is getting to that next load and getting that loaded miles revenue. Just sit there and smile, don't say a word, 'cause it's a load of crap.

Deadhead absolutely matters. And it's in your best interest to see that you are able to minimize it the best you can. If you're in the wrong place, that's not the carrier's fault, either, so you can't expect them to take care of you and cover your deadhead, unless it's in their best interest to do so (which is another reason I like the fringes, no one else for them to give the load to).

chris314

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks again man. Now I am having trouble finding the driver web page. I'm not gonna take a load until I can find it and log in. Is there anyway I get someone to post a link to it here? Or in a private message? HELP!!!!!!!

:confused:

chris314

Seasoned Expediter
Once again....your the man! Thank you for all the help. I mean that. Now I just need to get permission to post on the Panther forum.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Posting in the Panther Forum isn't what it's cracked up to be. :D

But to obtain permission, you must sacrifice a dead cat and send a PM asking for permission to Dreamer or to chillout. They don't require proof of the dead cat, tho.

Last edited:

chris314

Seasoned Expediter
LOL:D Good one. So, first I think I'm gonna move myself out of the Akron area to Chicago, and see some family on the weekend. Then get a load out whenever. You take care, and I hope to catch up with ya on the road somewhere. Till next time I have a dumb question....... Take care and be safe Yoda.
Chris