Oreilly Fired

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Ratings matter, to Networks. So their philosophy is to do whatever it takes. Research shows, generally, that attractive woman in skirts garner greater audiences than if they wore pantsuits. Not saying this is the way it should be but just pointing out the reality. Fox News management at the very least encouraged them to wear skirts and at least a few of them probably thought doing so would help their careers.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Eric Bolling is a partisan homer, and that's fine, but I wish he'd at least make the attempt to check his racism.
I figured Bolling would have been the first, but today Fox News fired Bob Beckel, for a racist remark made off-air to a Fox News IT employee.

It's a little surprising, because, you know, Bob's a Democrat, and by definition a Democrat cannot be racist.

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Eric Bolling is a partisan homer, and that's fine, but I wish he'd at least make the attempt to check his racism.
I figured Bolling would have been the first, but today Fox News fired Bob Beckel, for a racist remark made off-air to a Fox News IT employee.

It's a little surprising, because, you know, Bob's a Democrat, and by definition a Democrat cannot be racist.
What did Bolling say or do? I rarely can see his show so I'm not familiar with his racism.

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
True on Beckel. He should get his job back of he protests. Lolo_O
Beckel has a history of being a loose cannon with his language so there might be something he shouldn't have said. Then again, imo, there might be some that are looking to get on the lawsuit gravy train.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
What did Bolling say or do? I rarely can see his show so I'm not familiar with his racism.
Mostly it's subtle jabs and pokes, that brand of racism where everyone knows you're racist but it's not blatantly overt, but he's said things that A) wouldn't even be said about white people (as a joke), and B) was so over the top that he had to apologize for. Setting the stage is the fact that he was an early adopter of the Birther Movement, and did so while playing the race card pretty often, with copious shots at Obama with Kenya references, so everything is colored in that context. But for example, when Obama was in Ireland and tornadoes hit Missouri (Joplin, primarily), Bolling Tweeted and Facebooked that Obama had been “chugging 40’s in Ireland while tornadoes ravage Missouri,” and later that night on the show he removed "Ireland" completely from his comments and simply said that Obama was too busy to visit tornado-ravaged Joplin because he was too busy chucking forties. Like watermelon and fried chicken jokes, you don't use "forties" jokes about white folks.

When Obama hosted the President of Gabon, Ali Bongo Ondimba, at the White House, Bolling remarked, "Guess who's coming to dinner? A dictator." That's a reference to the Sydney Poitier film about a white women who brings a black man home to meet her parents (Katherine Hepburn and Spencer Tracy). If that wasn't bad enough, Bolling referenced the time when Obama hosted rapper "Common" at the White House, noting that, "It’s not the first time he’s had a hoodlum in the hizzouse,” and then added, "So what’s with all the hoods in the hizzie?" And the "put down the crack pipe" remark aimed at Maxine Waters, was probably a little inappropriate. Hoods, hizzhouse, crack pipe, these are jokes you don't make about white people, generally speaking.

Incidentally, Guess Who's Coming to Dinner, while hardly a masterpiece, and it's definitely a product of its time, is a really good film well worth watching. It's Spencer Tracy's last film, which was made when he was dying (he died 17 days after completion of the film). Spencer had to put his entire salary (as well as Katherine Hepburn's) in escrow in order for the film company to allow him to do the film. Tracy and Hepburn had a lifelong love affair that was just like the film, one of forbidden love in spite of what society thinks. That's why they wanted to make the film, even if it meant putting their salaries in escrow and possibly never getting paid. Knowing that, by the end of the film you realize Tracy and Hepburn aren't even acting but are instead more or less relaying their feelings about each other through the film. It makes the drama of the final few scenes all the more dramatic, and Spencer's final speech, about his love for Kate (the Christina character), is one of the more raw, powerful scenes on film.

Beckel has a history of being a loose cannon with his language so there might be something he shouldn't have said. Then again, imo, there might be some that are looking to get on the lawsuit gravy train.
Apparently, an IT guy (a black one) came into Beckel's office to work on his computer, and Beckel said he was leaving the office while the employee serviced his computer because the employee is black. That alone, while insensitive, isn't really enough to warrant an almost-immediate termination (after a thorough and complete investigation, of a few hours' length). Of course, they do have a lot going on right now with racism allegations at Fox, so that might have been enough, but more likely is that Bob used a choice synonym or two for "black."