Opinions on self defense

Jumbuck

Seasoned Expediter
The other night about 2 am my wife and I pulled into a Wal-Mart to sleep and sure as heck, we weren't there 2 minutes until some guy who looked like Charles Manson's brother beat on the glass of our Cargo Van. I mean this guy was scary. He managed to get to the van window before I saw him and he carried a gas can. I said, "Get out of here" but he said, "I need money for gas!" He didn't say, "Man, could you spare some gas money?" He demanded money for gas. After I told him to "GIT" he got mad. He said, "I'm asking you for help...Are you kidding me?"
I had already started reaching for my PPD...(Personal Protection Device) it comes in .45 caliber.... and I yelled. No, G#######it! I'm NOT kidding! Get the hell out of here! Fortunatley, he left before I had to deploy my PPD, but it got me to thinking. What would I have done if he had tried to force the door open or worse yet, break the van window. I was just curious what any of you more experienced drivers would have done. If he would have broken the window, I would have SHOT him. How do the rest of you feel about that? Thanks for your time.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I too would have shot him IF I had an "equalizer" with me. Since I am with FDCC I am a second class citizen and not allowed to carry. I would have therefor be forced to first hit him with my really big, heavy, maglight and if that did not stop him I would have used one, or all, of my available kitchen knives.

You have an ABSOLUTE RIGHT to defend your life AND property.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Not knowing your position in the van, if he had broken the glass, yeap shoot him...But if it is available to you, starting the van and driving away should always be your 1st option...But no, you would have had a green light to take him out if the threat escaladed...

Jumbuck

Seasoned Expediter
Not knowing your position in the van, if he had broken the glass, yeap shoot him...But if it is available to you, starting the van and driving away should always be your 1st option...But no, you would have had a green light to take him out if the threat escaladed...

Thanks for replies. The ole carrying of the empty gas can seems to be the latest trick bums are using to get money. We watched one guy one night in a Wal-Mart go from car to car carrying an empty gas can, and then, we saw him go back to his late model car, open the trunk and throw the gas can in and then drive away. Its a **** shame that they prevent honest people from getting the help they may need.

runrunner

Veteran Expediter
The other night about 2 am my wife and I pulled into a Wal-Mart to sleep and sure as heck, we weren't there 2 minutes until some guy who looked like Charles Manson's brother beat on the glass of our Cargo Van. I mean this guy was scary. He managed to get to the van window before I saw him and he carried a gas can. I said, "Get out of here" but he said, "I need money for gas!" He didn't say, "Man, could you spare some gas money?" He demanded money for gas. After I told him to "GIT" he got mad. He said, "I'm asking you for help...Are you kidding me?"
I had already started reaching for my PPD...(Personal Protection Device) it comes in .45 caliber.... and I yelled. No, G#######it! I'm NOT kidding! Get the hell out of here! Fortunatley, he left before I had to deploy my PPD, but it got me to thinking. What would I have done if he had tried to force the door open or worse yet, break the van window. I was just curious what any of you more experienced drivers would have done. If he would have broken the window, I would have SHOT him. How do the rest of you feel about that? Thanks for your time.

I think a smack in the face would suffice if he opened the door or broke the window! Then if he still posed a threat shoot!

pandora2112

Seasoned Expediter
I don't carry bc trying to know the rules for each state can be confusing...only problem is what are the laws of the state you were in? Some states may have charged you with murder or some such nonsense for protecting yourself and your wife.

)O( ~ Namaste ~ )O(

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I don't carry bc trying to know the rules for each state can be confusing...only problem is what are the laws of the state you were in? Some states may have charged you with murder or some such nonsense for protecting yourself and your wife.

)O( ~ Namaste ~ )O(

It is a sad fact, but true. Those who would do evil to others often are given more protection of the law than those who defend themselves from the evil.

Running is a good idea, when possible. Your home, which on the road is my truck, is my 'safe zone". Attempting to enter, without permission, is hazardous to the health of whom ever may try.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
I had the same thing happen to me in a Home Depot lot a few weeks ago. No threats or anything probably cause I was twice his size. I told him I would take him to his car and help him, then he suddenly said his daughter was coming to get him. That was a giveaway. He didn't plan on anyone saying that. I just told him to wait on his daughter.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Standard reply to people asking for money...

"I travel on company credit cards, and they keep track of every penny."

End of conversation.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
While using a gun is certainly a good way to stop him it could be a little dangerous for bystanders in a crowded parking lot. If bystanders are an issue some Goodyear tire prints across his chest and face would also do the trick.

Sent from my ADR6400L using EO Forums

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
While using a gun is certainly a good way to stop him it could be a little dangerous for bystanders in a crowded parking lot. If bystanders are an issue some Goodyear tire prints across his chest and face would also do the trick.

Not if you use premium self defense ammo that limits through and through accidents while insuring maximum damage to offending evil doers.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Not if you use premium self defense ammo that limits through and through accidents while insuring maximum damage to offending evil doers.

I'm certainly not against using a gun to take care of a problem but sometimes adrenaline takes over and a person that does not train properly can miss even at close range or even end up having the gun taken away by the scumbag. I am not saying the OP is not a properly trained firearm owner since I do not know but just expressing an idea about what I would personally do. I figure if I am confident I can hit him in the head or chest I will but if in doubt I'll give him a close up of my tire. Either action has its drawbacks, missing with the gun could hurt someone else and running him over could allow him to shoot you if he is armed, plus it might screw up your alignment.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I'm certainly not against using a gun to take care of a problem but sometimes adrenaline takes over and a person that does not train properly can miss even at close range or even end up having the gun taken away by the scumbag. I am not saying the OP is not a properly trained firearm owner since I do not know but just expressing an idea about what I would personally do. I figure if I am confident I can hit him in the head or chest I will but if in doubt I'll give him a close up of my tire. Either action has its drawbacks, missing with the gun could hurt someone else and running him over could allow him to shoot you if he is armed, plus it might screw up your alignment.

That is why when one carries one SHOULD spend a good amount of time on the range so your actions become automatic.

Not only could you mess up your alignment but you could knock out your radiator and cost yourself a LOT of lost time and money. Not to mention the tow bill.

pandora2112

Seasoned Expediter
That is why when one carries one SHOULD spend a good amount of time on the range so your actions become automatic.

Not only could you mess up your alignment but you could knock out your radiator and cost yourself a LOT of lost time and money. Not to mention the tow bill.

I agree 100%...anytime I've gotten a new gun first thing I learn is proper loading, unloading, cleaning and then it's off to the range! Even someone who is completely new to gun ownership and doesn't have anyone knowledgeable in their family can take gun safety classes.
I don't claim to know a lot about guns but I know how my 38 works and have practiced enough that I'm comfortable with shooting it and accurate.

)O( ~ Namaste ~ )O(

subzero89

Seasoned Expediter
A lot of times, when you are in a commercial vehicle with out of state plates, you unfortunately draw attention from people who think you are an easy target. I am sure we have all been there. You have your wife in the van with you. Do whatever you have to do to protect yourselves.

Mdbtyhtr

Expert Expediter
One has to consider that you will be tried by liberals not in fear for their lives with the freedom of time to critique your every move, and they will. The first thing am officer will ask you, immediately after telling you he is proud of you for ridding the world of another P.O.S. is "Man I bet your ears were burning!" He is determining if you shot out of anger or fear, nothing more. Your answer will determine his next action. Not all states have Castle Doctrines and not all states believe a commercial vehicle is your home. An RV is not always considered your home, especially when registered to a specific address that tax rolls can verify ownership to. Act in haste, repent in leisure. The money you will spend on bail and a legal defense is still spent when the judge says not guilty, you don't get it back. Please let cooler heads prevail.

Scott

Last edited:

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
One has to consider that you will be tries by liberals not in fear for their lives with the freedom of time to critique your every move, and they will. The first thing am officer will ask you, immediately after telling you he us proud of you fir ridding the world of another POS us "man I bet your ears were burning!" He is determining if you shot out of anger or fear, nothing more. Your answer will determine his next action. Not all states have Castle Doctrines and not all states believe a commercial vehicle is your home. An RV is not always considered your home, especially when registered to a specific address that tax rolls can verify ownership to. Act in haste, repent in leisure. The money you will spend on bail and a legal defense is still spent when the judge says not guilty, you don't get it back. Please let cooler heads prevail.

Scott

One should NEVER take the use of deadly force lightly. One should ALSO never allow their family or themselves to be killed. It happens all too often these days.

In reality, we need NO permission to defend our lives. It is a human RIGHT. There is not any 'right' for people to rob, threaten or kill others. In the United States we also have the RIGHT to carry arms, and it cannot be infringed.

Maybe those who would rob, rape, steal or kill others should let cooler thoughts prevail. They are the cause of their own problems.

Mdbtyhtr

Expert Expediter
Layout, would you agree that there is a distinct difference between reality and perception? Is your life truly threatened by a guy with a gas can? I will concede that you can feel threatened and angered by an unwanted visitor, but you have options short of lethal force. The mentality that the answer is to treat every incident as a potential lethal threat is indefensible. You will got to jail feeling as indignant as you do now regarding the election choices, but the reality is the same.

Scott

Last edited:

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Layout, would you agree that there is a distinct difference between reality and perception? Is your life truly threatened by a guy with a gas can? I will concede that you can feel threatened and angered by an unwanted visitor, but you have options short of lethal force. The mentality that the answer is to treat every incident as a potential lethal threat is indefensible. You will got to jail feeling as indignant as you do know regarding the election choices, but the reality is the same.

Scott

IF they attempted to break into my truck, I would act. I first would try to leave, IF that was possible. Once a window is broken, all bets are off. That IS a direct threat to the lives of both my wife and myself. Just ask Jason Rivenburg how he feels about this.

There are the realities of the times. People get killed for $7, gas can or not.

Jason's Law | Safety For Truckers