Oops!

panthercub

Seasoned Expediter
Marc;

Looking at this from the perspective of an employer, try to keep a couple things in mind.... No, you are not the only person who has ever made a mistake in your life. However, nor are you the only person who has claimed not to "normally" behave in that way. The peolpe who know you best might know that you do not take illegal substances, but strangers to whom you have asked for a job are going to be skeptical about a claim that someone "spiked" your drink with cocaine. Add to that your admission that you drank to the point that you passed out and don't know what else could have happened, and many people aren't going to jump at the chance to turn you loose in their equipment. Hopefully the previous employer, who knows you, and said they were willing to take you back, will find an opening for you and you can begin to work your way through this trouble. Best of luck to you!

Dan

tec1959

Expert Expediter
Marc I don't know you but I think that this Is not a Oops.If you knew that a pre drug test was coming In the near future why even drink that much and end up doing things like this???
I think after driving for over 20 years that this Is VERY serious since It was a pre test.I think If It was a random test It would not be as bad because once your with a company and this happens then there's help.I hope It really works out for you good luck...

marcm88

Seasoned Expediter
Just curious, how many of those great rules and regulations do YOU break INTENTIONALLY, everyday.mmmmm HOS maybe? backlogging? All of these thing and more are done by most of us at some time or another and all in the name of getting the job done or some other reason that we considered to be OK at the time. How would you feel if you were at the end of a long run where you used a little "creative logging to "git-r-done" and just then you run over a mini-van full of kids? I've heard it amillion times."I now what I"m doing" The truth is actually that we're all human and prone to human error. The only real difference is the stigma attached to what I did. How does that make you, better than me? Think about it.!!!

marcm88

Seasoned Expediter
The truth is ,I don,t do things like that. I JUST LET MY GUARD DOWN. The reason I,m talking about this so openly is that maybe someone else can learn from my foolishness. I just don,t understand the soapbox posistion. We are all vulnerable to the human condition. DON'T LET YOUR GUARD DOWN. Other peoples shortcomings will never make you a better person unless you are sympathectic to human nature and realize that, THIS COULD HAPPEN TO YOU! NUFF SAID!

marcm88

Seasoned Expediter
Wow dodged a bullet. Just know that I make no excuses foe what happened. AS far as the system is concerned, I did it,end of story. However it is interesting to note that the false test result rate is 8 percent. Mostly due to contaminated lab equipment. Remember,humans work there too. HMMMMM

panthercub

Seasoned Expediter
Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum and have a question to post for everyone to ponder. First, I have 20 years exp,an excellent work record and a clean MVR. I recently came home for a weekend and apparently had too much fun drinking. The next week I dropped a dirty urine. I entered myself in the DOT second chance program and have been released to drive again. The real question is; is there really anyone (or company) out there who actually hires drivers under these circumstances? If you have an answer, please contact me via the forum or e-mail me @ [email protected] Thanks!

Ummmmmmmm,
I think it became a "soapbox" cuz you asked for help on an internet forum, and you were very vague about the whole truth. Many of us tried to help; at this point I don't know what you're looking for....And no, it CAN'T happen to me. I have never, and will never, get myself into the kind of position you got yourself into.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Wow dodged a bullet. Just know that I make no excuses foe what happened. AS far as the system is concerned, I did it,end of story. However it is interesting to note that the false test result rate is 8 percent. Mostly due to contaminated lab equipment. Remember,humans work there too. HMMMMM

That's where I would've demanded a blood test. But take a look at what you just said... you make no excuses, yet talk about contaminated lab equipment. Whether or not this was a mistake on your part, or a mistake on the lab's, you need to deal with the situation; and not continually defend yourself in front of ppl who don't know you. Get whatever info you can, and deal with it.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Marc,
OK? But you did make excuses.

Well it can’t happen to anyone, sorry it can’t.

We are human, that is true but that sets us apart from the rest of the animal kingdom in so much as we can control our behavior to the point of conditioning ourselves to ignore temptation and to lead clean lives even under the very harsh conditions.

If this sounds like a lecture, well it’s not, just true fact, many of us would not allow ourselves to be put into that situation for any reason.

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter
Yes it was pre-employment. Does it matter?

Well obviously the guy wouldn't walk into a scheduled pre-employment drugscreen, knowing he had done cocaine, right? It isn't like the guy just 'does' this, and got caught on a random.

Not being into drugs, I have no idea how long it takes to leave your system, but I'm sure he's not that stooopid that he would show up for a pre-employment drugtest, knowing he had just done it. Helo?

So.. the guy let loose and drank way too much is his sin, something lots of us may not choose to do, but surely not something to judge and burn him so severely on? Like he said, all of us probably do wrong things once in awhile, we shouldn't be judging that his wrong-thing was so much worse than anyone else's. His wrong-thing just happens to have been 'caught', and he's paying very heavily for it.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Well obviously the guy wouldn't walk into a scheduled pre-employment drugscreen, knowing he had done cocaine, right?

Well normally no, someone would not do this but I had a neighbor who was a regular drug user and he was getting a job with a military contractor. He used all kinds of stuff to cover it up andgot away with it on his preemployment test. Later on he was caught by both his employer (I think his ex-wife helped with that random test) and by the courts during the divorce. He had confidence that he could have covered his a** with the employer but the courts did a random at a monitored visitation, which was not expected and turn up positive.

witness23

Veteran Expediter
"Well obviously the guy wouldn't walk into a scheduled pre-employment drugscreen, knowing he had done cocaine, right?" "but I'm sure he's not that stooopid that he would show up for a pre-employment drugtest, knowing he had just done it. Helo?"

pjjjjj.......you would be surprised.

just as this thread started out being vague on marc's behalf about the drug screen, i am pretty confident there is definately more to the story than meets the eye. especially since he claims to be a "professional driver" for twenty years, not to mention i'm sure he's know spring chicken either. he should know better.

Wingnut

Seasoned Expediter
Back in early April, I had a driver test positive for cocaine on a random drug test. This guy swore up hill and down that it was impossible. I questioned him thoroughly and found out that he had been taking all sorts of vitamins that were made overseas (he was on a health kick and found these vitamins to be much cheaper than the ones in the states). I told him to get those vitamins tested and to stop taking all of them, which he did. When the tests came back, 2 of the vitamins tested positive for cocaine. Go figure! The results were immediately sent to the expedite company, he took another drug test (and has taken several since then) and all is now fine. He no longer takes vitamins that were made overseas and now checks the labels on everything. It cost him alot of money to have these vitamins tested at a lab but it was worth it to save his job and reputation. I now tell all my drivers that when they go for a random drug test, to make sure to tell the lab EVERYTHING they are taking (medicine, vitamins, etc) and to bring the bottles in with them so that the technician can write them down on the form. Better safe than sorry in the long run.

letzrockexpress

Veteran Expediter
Allow me to attempt to bottomline this mess:

There is no "Oops" about it.

YOU hold (or at least you did hold) a Commercial Drivers License.

YOU make/made a living for YOU and/or your family based
on being able to drive commercially.

YOU and YOU alone are responsible for knowing the rules
and staying compliant with them.

YOU know/knew that the use of drugs, especially illegal ones can/could result in the suspension or revocation of your CDL.

YOU and YOU alone put yourself in the position you ended up in. It doesn't matter what somebody else did or didn't do, i.e. spiking your drink, somehow forcing cocaine into your system, etc. If you were not there it could not have happened. For the record I do not believe you did not know there was cocaine being used where you were hanging out. Whether you knew or not does not matter. It is/was up to you to be aware of your suroundings. It doesn't matter what violations, if any, others posting on this thread have or have not commited, YOU and YOU are responsible for your actions.

My advice to you is suck it up and take responsibility for your actions. Why you have started this thread is beyond me.

marcm88

Seasoned Expediter
To help clear this up for you. I do take full responsibility. I entered myself in the DOT second chance return to work program. Whether you've heard of it or not, it exists. I paid a man to manage this for me, I also paid for counseling/rehab. I have been CLEARED TO DRIVE any commercial vehicle due to subsequently testing NEGATIVE. My CDL is not suspended or revoked. If you had read the complete thread you would know all these things. You are however typical of most of the" better than thou" responses i've recieved. A few decent people out there have rosponded to my original query--Are there any companies who will hire drivers under the second chance program? Do you know one? UNLIKELY, because you're too busy climbing on your high horse to preach to me! After 2 million SAFE miles in a truck, I think I know something about the industry and my responsibility to it. Yes I did a stupid thing. Yes I admit it. NOW WHAT?

marcm88

Seasoned Expediter
I'm just trying to get across to everyone that I don't know what happened. All of us are subject to this sytem and mistakes do happen.

marcm88

Seasoned Expediter
You,re right except I was in apublic place(a bar) and there was talk of such things but not directly to me.

marcm88

Seasoned Expediter
I hate to say it but I know or have known many drivers over the years who were involved in illegal things such as drug use. For the most part, they're all still driving. One I know is an owner with 4 trucks. Proof perfect that life isn't always fair. I have done everything that I can do in accordance with DOT rules and regs that deal with this issue and have been cleared to drive. All I need is a real second chance in the form of a job. Any one listening?

Last edited: