One Man Fight to Save the Expedited Trucking Industry

Windsor

Veteran Expediter
Unfortunately for a lot of people it's not really about safety at all, it's about money. There running illegally at very low rates and it makes it hard to compete is what most of us want to say. It sounds better if we say it's a safety issue.

Reactions: aquitted

Windsor

Veteran Expediter
I'm also not saying that any of you don't care about safety. We all want safe roads and make it home to our families in one piece. I'm just saying for example when I'm stuck in laredo for days on end and my company can't nail down a load because they got there throat cut by a yellow box truck it's not safety I'm thinking of at that time.

Reactions: sbarrett

sbarrett

Expert Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
Fleet Owner
I'll be the first to admit it's hurting me financially. Everyone is suffering.
Safety is a huge concern with these types of vehicles, overloaded and under insured. Something bad will happen, none of us want to see that.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
As stated before if they are taking the heavy loads they are not bothering me and they're not bothering you they are hurting the straight trucks more so

Reactions: vandriver2

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'll be the first to admit it's hurting me financially. Everyone is suffering.
Safety is a huge concern with these types of vehicles, overloaded and under insured. Something bad will happen, none of us want to see that.
Steve don't even go there I respect you very much but about two weeks ago I seen one of your sprinters going down the road with his bumper almost Dragging on the highway and it wasn't the first time

Reactions: aquitted

sbarrett

Expert Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
Fleet Owner
Steve don't even go there I respect you very much but about two weeks ago I seen one of your sprinters going down the road with his bumper almost Dragging on the highway and it wasn't the first time
Well, that's unacceptable. Not making excuses, but just this week we've had two separate calls on ex drivers who still have our logos on. Not saying that's them, but I promise those vans don't come to my office in that shape. But, I don't know why you are trying to call me out Ontario? If you would have called my office when you saw that, we would have made sure they were fixed before they got/get another load. I've watched you and your comments on some of these post (I don't follow as close as most) and it seems like you are all over the map with your "opinions". You've got my number if you need to tell me something.

Reactions: OntarioVanMan

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
An extended sprinter can very easily look overloaded without being that. You get one or two heavy skids not pushed forward and you look like a carpet installer. That single spring in the back can easily get fatigued over time. I know from personal experience the things sag with a couple thousand lbs at times. I hated holding 2000 lbs over a weekend because it seemed lower each morning you woke up.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Steve as Ziggy just pointed out sometimes crap happens beyond our controlf for all I know maybe the fellas just had a couple broken shocks and was on his way to the shop
So I apologize for any inference

Reactions: vandriver2

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
And yes the longer I do this business and the more I learn... opinions have to change. how can one have the same opinion from five years ago for instance....? The criteria that you made those opinions upon has all changed

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Unfortunately for a lot of people it's not really about safety at all, it's about money. There running illegally at very low rates and it makes it hard to compete is what most of us want to say. It sounds better if we say it's a safety issue.

From my POV, I don't think we actually care that much about others safety, as much as we care about our own wallet. I don't know how much illegally they run, but they do runs for peanuts just to keep their wheels spinning...

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I don't know how much illegally they run, ...

This suggests an additional action step for those who wish to make a difference. Publish/distribute a piece entitled "How to Identify and Report an Illegal Expediter."

Photos showing examples of what to look for would be helpful. Also helpful would be a description of activities that are illegal. It's not illegal to drive a certain kind of truck down the road. It may be illegal to do so if that truck is engaged in commercial activities without being properly registered, licensed, labeled and insured, for example.

What is it exactly that the drivers in question are doing wrong? Being able to articulate that would be very helpful to anyone making a report to law enforcement and to those receiving the report.

Handing out such a flyer at truck stops and other places where expediters gather would prompt more reports. Handing it to a driver of one of the trucks in question or placing it on that truck's windshield when it is parked may have an even bigger impact. If they know people are watching and calling it in, they may not be so eager to take the risks they do. It could even be shared with the scale cops to build awareness in that community. Leave a couple with the scale cop when you are next pulled in.

Such a flyer could be created by any interested organization or person. Interested parties could print it at their own expense for distribution at expediter events, motor carrier orientations and other such venues. Interested drivers could download and print it at their own expense to be distributed to anyone with whom they are inclined to share. It would cost a little money to do this (very little if you are acting individually), but for those who care, it may be worth the price.

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
What is it exactly that the drivers in question are doing wrong? Being able to articulate that would be very helpful to anyone making a report to law enforcement and to those receiving the report.
Being right about what you report is also going to be important, otherwise you create a "Boy Who Cried Wolf" syndrome and you'll soon get ignored.

If someone is overweight in a van or box truck, they have to actually weigh more than 10,000 pounds in order to be illegal.

If they self-derated the truck from 12,500 pounds to 10,000 GVWR, and you see the manufacturer's plate missing from the inside of the door, that's illegal regardless of what they actually weigh.

aquitted

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Relax guys breeeeth, I'm going to have a beer you should too. The pesky Penske's are NOT here to stay, anyone in business knows you can't run like that forever and as they screw up (and they are) it makes all the legit ones look better. If I were a carrier and a customer said they could get a pesky Penske to haul the same freight for half the cost I would tell them that's fine but if you want your freight to get there on time and not broken or scattered all over the interstate holler back!
Have a nice day
SEE YA
:)

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm thinking I can't join you in having that beer, Aquitted. See, as long as I'm on call I don't drink. If I want a beer, I have to call in off-duty--- that's just the way I roll.

About the rest: It might not be popular, but-- frankly, the authorities don't care if you're not making as much money as you'd like. They DO care about violations, more particularly serious ones. If you're getting your nose out of joint because a Russkie is driving an ex-Pennske truck at cut rates--- toooo baaaddd. He's trying for the "American Dream" same as your ancestors did-- and maybe facing some of the same prejudices your ancestors faced too.

On the other hand-- if he loaded 5 heavy skids on that truck and it's showing an "Under 10,000 LBS" sticker on the door--- the state police/DOT cops will sure want to know. A 6-wheel truck with a 12-foot box just doesn't have that much weight capacity and still be under 10K

aquitted

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I'm thinking I can't join you in having that beer, Aquitted. See, as long as I'm on call I don't drink. If I want a beer, I have to call in off-duty--- that's just the way I roll.

About the rest: It might not be popular, but-- frankly, the authorities don't care if you're not making as much money as you'd like. They DO care about violations, more particularly serious ones. If you're getting your nose out of joint because a Russkie is driving an ex-Pennske truck at cut rates--- toooo baaaddd. He's trying for the "American Dream" same as your ancestors did-- and maybe facing some of the same prejudices your ancestors faced too.

On the other hand-- if he loaded 5 heavy skids on that truck and it's showing an "Under 10,000 LBS" sticker on the door--- the state police/DOT cops will sure want to know. A 6-wheel truck with a 12-foot box just doesn't have that much weight capacity and still be under 10K
I
I don't know what I posted to make you think my nose was out of joint because I really don't care and never did I keep my nose out of where it doesn't belong and it should go without saying if you are on duty do not join me in that beer unless it's root beer.