old drivers

kjack4181

Seasoned Expediter
I am a fleet owner with one of the bigger expedited carriers in the business today.I have been a fleet owner for over 20 years. Recently on two occasions I tried to qualify drivers for one of my tractor units. One of the drivers had 14 years experience driving a tractor but he had been driving a straight truck for the last 4 or 5 years(no chargable accidents or tickets in his career).He did not qualify because he had not driven a tractor in 2 years. The other Had 35 years of experience, over 4 million NSC documented accident free miles, no tickets in last 7 years.Both drivers had current Class A license, with HM endorsements and a current DOT physicals. Both were turned down due to company policy.With all of the drivers who have left the industry and want to return,how do we go about getting them back in without them having to go to school and then serving an apprendtorship with a freight company for 6 months. These are qualified, experienced drivers.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Way too bad i'm not still in the business. Wouldn't a been a problem here. I'd suggest you get your eggs outa that "bigger" company basket. It should be obvious to you what your equipment means to them. Someone will certainly appreciate your efforts. Go look for them.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I agree with the col....sounds like a very stupid policy not well thought out....it's a policy not a law and policy change at a whim....threaten to pull all your equipment and see....or sa the col said ,spread them eggs around abit...

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
My hubby and I drove tractor trailer before we became expediters, we also pulled the company recruiting trailer. We argued this point over and over because it made no sense to us.
Seems the "norm" in the industry, (tractor trailer world) if a driver doesn't have "recent" OTR experience in a T/T they have to go back through training. We were told at the time that it was an insurance requirement.
I could understand having a driver take a road test if they had been out of a T/T for awhile, skills do get rusty, but to say that they have to go back through truck driving 101 is ridiculous! :mad:

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
Easy fix,all your drivers have to do is requalify by taking a drivers test at a training school approved by the company your trying to get on with.Usually about $100.00.Ive had a couple drivers do that over the years

morningstar55ny

Veteran Expediter
Driver
read this thread a few times now ....... lol
just a thought here.........
could u ..... put these older drivers lets say ... with another driver and say.....
they are teaming with a trainer so to speak .....?????
i mean ...... isnt this what the big companies do anyways??? put a newbie with a trainer....... for X amount of days or weeks????

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
I am a highly skilled cardiac surgeon.

I have over 20 years of experience and I have never had a malpractice lawsuit logged against me.

During my career I performed over 900 successful open heart surgical procedures.

I haven't held a surgical knife in over 4 years, but I am looking to reenter the profession.

I would appreciate the opportunity to show you my skills.

Any takers?

Get the point?

It's not a company or hospital driven policy...it is an insurance driven mandate.

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
I don't think a surgeon is a fair comparison, but I do get the point you're making. It is still unbelievable to me how this profession has to re-train when other professions do not.
Don't ya just love how truck drivers are highly skilled unskilled labor?

warlordblee

Seasoned Expediter
I am in this same boat and don't undertand when you the owner operator are the one paying for the Insurance. I have six years otr driving experience, 94-99, with no points but went into the Taxi business in 2000. I have a Class A CDL and needed to be home every evening with the wife. These companies are penalizing the owner operator who wants to hire a good driver with no points because of no recent experience.
If the driver is a company driver let's say for JB Hunt then that's their insurance, their deal. They are hurting your bottom line by not allowing those more than qualified drivers on with your fleet. IMHO, it's you pay the insurance you should be able to qualify the drivers.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
I did. That is why y'all need to be looking elsewhere for opportunity. It's not rocket science, just look around. IF you are as good as you claim, it'll work out.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I did. That is why y'all need to be looking elsewhere for opportunity. It's not rocket science, just look around. IF you are as good as you claim, it'll work out.

yep, hordes of companies looking to fill a seat....dive in pick one....
It must be human nature to pick the one we can't have....:eek:

tec1959

Expert Expediter
I agree with Steve and the others if they take a drivers test and pass they should be good to goooo...It don't make sense at all to me...

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter

I have over 20 years of experience and I have never had a malpractice lawsuit logged against me.

During my career I performed over 900 successful open heart surgical procedures.

I haven't held a surgical knife in over 4 years, but I am looking to reenter the profession.

Any takers?

Get the point?

It's not a company or hospital driven policy...it is an insurance driven mandate.

I was a 5 star chef for 20 years, until I had to move to WV to work in the mines for 5 yrs. However, I'd like to be a chef again. Anyone for filet mignon?

Ya see, Padre... extremes can go both ways. Drivin a truck is not heart surgery. ;)

Last edited:

flattop40

Expert Expediter

Any takers?

As a kid I used to ride a bike almost everyday for 20 years and I never fell off the bike or ran into anyone else.

During my childhood I rode my bike over 2000 times.

However, I have not owned a bike in the last several years but thinking of buying one.

Want to ride bikes with me?

Like they say, "its like riding a bike"

dcalien

Seasoned Expediter
I was married for twenty years. I have been single now for about fifteen.

Anyone want to marry me?

Kurn

Seasoned Expediter
I find it curious that insurance companies will insure 2 week wonders at Swift that kill someone every 12 days,but not experienced drivers.

algtransport

Seasoned Expediter
yes right i have a fleet too and have the same problem, many of their red taping do not make sense, now i have two three E trucks sitting
cause it is very hard to qualify, i am ready to move on, any recommendations. my trucks are E units