Oil spill worsens

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
The blame game will be played by the politicians, but this oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico grows daily. What short term and long term ramifications will result from this eco-disaster?

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
Makes ya wonder doesn't it? Obama..."I am for off shore drilling"....yeah right with his "cap and trade" BS. What better excuse to stop the drilling? We have a disaster....oh my oh my

greg334

Veteran Expediter
The NYT of all papers pointed out this morning that the oil leakage, not spill is also the federal government's fault.

BP officials said they did everything possible, and a review of the response suggests it may be too simplistic to place all the blame on the oil company. The federal government also had opportunities to move more quickly, but did not do so while it waited for a resolution to the spreading spill from BP, which was leasing the drilling rig that exploded in flames on April 20 and sank two days later. Eleven workers are missing and presumed dead.

The Department of Homeland Security waited until Thursday to declare that the incident was “a spill of national significance,” and then set up a second command center in Mobile. The actions came only after the estimate of the size of the spill was increased fivefold to 5,000 barrels a day.

The delay meant that the Homeland Security Department waited until late this week to formally request a more robust response from the Department of Defense, with Ms. Napolitano acknowledging even as late as Thursday afternoon that she did not know if the Defense Department even had equipment that might be helpful.
I want to see the same thing happen with this event as it did with Katrina.

Where's SNL and all the other idiot entertainers, they need to start trashing Obama on this devastation. I think that we should start with the criticism of the administration who was slow to react. Then demand that Obama should be held accountable for Napolitano's actions or delay. Let her resign in shame, she isn't the person who should be there anyway.

They are now comparing this to Katrina and if that's so, then the blame shouldn't be on BP but it should be on the administration in office.

hdxpedx

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
I want to see the "TRUTHERS" who still to this day claim BUSH and CHENEY brought down the towers-- Hey gork's army of environmental whacko's set this up so there's never any drilling off the shore's of gork's $9mil ocean front estate!! Look what happened as soon as kennedy passed-- WIND-towers!

kwexpress

Veteran Expediter
well I think this is a great time for the goverment to have another bailout.
BP should now become GP. Goverment petro.

whats the latest figure bp says they are spending a day 6 million or something like that.
and thats not counting the cost of the coast guard.and i wonder whos paying that bill?
its already a bailout.we the american taxpayers will pay that bill.why because our fearless leader offered to help.

oil and water seperate fairly guick why dont we just get all the suppertankers to line the coast turn on pumps start sucking and discharge the water keep the oil.and set sail of the site.

the bailout I would really like to see is obama and the ceo of bp dropped in a liferaft with two five gallon buckets there job would be to fill as many floating 55 gal drums that could be pushed out of the cargo planes flying overhead.

only problem is we would have to send out a sar team after the cleanup to find obama and the ceo and who knows that could take years.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
BP is a foreign owned company, the government can't take it over without nationalizing it.

The military is going to spray an agent to disperse the oil, which may make things worse. This is a heavy crude, and from what I read may have a lot of mass below the surface.

BP is ending up paying the bill, which means we will eventually by higher prices with some of their products. This include the Coast Guard, the National Guard and the other hundreds of people who are going to the coast to enjoy the sun but not do much.

I would like to see congressional hearings on why the ball was dropped by the Obama administration with this "a lot worst than Katrina" event.

Oilerman1957

Expert Expediter
BP is a foreign owned company, the government can't take it over without nationalizing it.

The military is going to spray an agent to disperse the oil, which may make things worse. This is a heavy crude, and from what I read may have a lot of mass below the surface.

BP is ending up paying the bill, which means we will eventually by higher prices with some of their products. This include the Coast Guard, the National Guard and the other hundreds of people who are going to the coast to enjoy the sun but not do much.

I would like to see congressional hearings on why the ball was dropped by the Obama administration with this "a lot worst than Katrina" event.

I heard it was a light crude, only about the size of 2 nickles put together deep, who knows.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Light crude would be like a heavy motor oil which can be broken up both chemically but this is heavy crude which is tar like, hard to break up and clings together in large puddles.

The thickness may be 4mm's thick that's enough to cause an issue or two, which is not like light crude at all (that may only be 1 mm thick).

The leak is 130 miles long and 70 miles wide last report I read, which is really hard to imagine but the cries are already starting to mount, not because of drilling but because it is Bush's fault for letting them drill there in the first place.

Oilerman1957

Expert Expediter
I'm not going to blame anyone, I dont know all the facts. From what I've heard there seemed to be no plan at all for this kind of accident, which in itself is a shame.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
2 people called the Mark Levin Show last night, 1 a retired oili rig engineer and the other a guy that wa on the rig when it exploded....the engineer cover the tech side and possible terrorism, the guy from the rig stated straight up it wasn't terrorism and they know what happen exactly. I won't go into it because i can't give ot the jutice it needs, but basisly they were closing down the well to move the platform, a "gas bubble" formed in the drill pipe, that built up presue and blew the cap 240 ft into the air. The gas escaped and then formon on the floor of the rig and was ignited.....he said there is a very delicate balance to keep the gas pressure within the limits and something happened to throw that balance off....that is what they are working to figure out.

Shutting off the leak is a problem because the wreckage of the platform is laying rght there on top of it, and also that same gas and oil is still there.....

The rig has been awarded the highest safety award for 2 yrs running and was inline to get it again.

The factors that they feel caused this and the explorsion he sais could be a once in a life time thing or it could happen to a lesser or worse case tomorrow, its something that mother nature has control of more then people.

Here are the links to the Mark Levin Show and the caller, who they called "James" , listen to them it is very informative.

Mark Levin

Oh and while he understands the news side and the importance of this, his big concern and what should be everyone elses, including barry and his bs group he is sending down there, are the 11 men that died.....any one heard much about them? do we even know who they are?

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I understood that the people who were on the rig were not talking to anyone until the investigation was over with but that may be wrong. I would think the prudent thing to do is not to say anything until things get sorted out.

As for it happening, we all drive, we all face uncertainty and we take chances but the chances we take are far greater than what they do in the oil industry. This could happen again but maybe never - too many variables involved. The same goes for any contingency plan, it is impossible with the size of these rigs and the amount of oil they produce to come up with a plan to mitigate a disaster.

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The NYT of all papers pointed out this morning that the oil leakage, not spill is also the federal government's fault.
I want to see the same thing happen with this event as it did with Katrina.
Where's SNL and all the other idiot entertainers, they need to start trashing Obama on this devastation. I think that we should start with the criticism of the administration who was slow to react. Then demand that Obama should be held accountable for Napolitano's actions or delay. Let her resign in shame, she isn't the person who should be there anyway.
They are now comparing this to Katrina and if that's so, then the blame shouldn't be on BP but it should be on the administration in office.

The lack of criticism from the MSM is amazing considering the way they micro-analyzed the Bush administration's response to Katrina. Consider the timeline of events:
  • Apr 20 - Rig leased by BP explodes, 11 missing and presumed dead.
  • Apr 22 - Second explosion sinks rig. Damage still undetermined.
  • Apr 24 - Leak in drilling pipe discovered 5000 feet below surface. Rate of discharge of crude oil estimated at 1000 barrels per day (later to be upgraded to 5000 barrels per day = 210,000 gal).
  • Apr 26 - Coast Guard estimates leak has created oil slick with circumference in excess of 600 miles, an area of approx. 28,600 sq. miles (slightly larger than the state of W. Va.)
  • Apr 29 - President Barack Hussein Obama declares the spill to be an event of "national significance", allowing equipment and funds to be more easily dispersed.
  • Apr 30 - Secretary of Homeland Security Janet Napolitano scheduled to visit area.
  • Sept 2 - Barack Hussein Obama to visit Gulf Coast
As we reflect on Bush's responses to Katrina, we see that he invoked the Stafford Act (aid for major disasters) for the states of AL, MS and LA the DAY AFTER Katrina made landfall. He flew over the devastated area THREE days after the hurricane struck Aug28 and was on the ground there FIVE days after the event.

Although this disaster will take many months to play out, we will no doubt be looking at oily birds and dead fish and hearing the stories from those dependant on the shrimp and oyster beds until the fall elections are over; of course the blame will be placed squarely on the shoulders of the evil oil industry. We'll have to see how BHO handles this crisis and how the media treat him.

By the way - has anyone seen ONE significant story about the eleven men who died in this mishap? Have any of the media even published their names?

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Where is TallCal to rag on Obama and his administration for this? It's worse than Katrina and if that was all on Bush then this is all on Obama. Let's hear it Cal et al.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
From another forum:

XXXXXX XXXX just read an article which made several points. It was at fox.com

One : British Petroleum leased the oil rig to another company
Two : The other company hired Haliburton to cement the well head
Three : A large majority of oil well blowouts are due to problems with cementing well heads
Four : Haliburton was onsite to cap the plug with more cement
Five : Dick Cheney was the head of Haliburton

Six : EVERYTHING CAN NOW BE BLAMED ON BUSH!!! he he he

And the Beat goes on.....:D

Last edited:

greg334

Veteran Expediter
What bothers me is the law suits that have already been filed. There is one fisherman who complained that after three disasters, he wants to be compensated for his loses - NBC interview. I thought fishing was a business which had to do with risk and dangers, if the government allows preemptive suits for compensation before a disaster actually effects an area, when will it end?