Ohio cracking down on truckers cheating the toll road

bobwg

Expert Expediter
Cleveland.com Ohio is cracking down on truckers that scam/cheat the Ohio turnpike

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Ohio Turnpike moves to curb toll-ticket scam by truckers | cleveland.com

I couldn't find it on Cleveland.com, had to Google it.....Some interesting stuff, mainly about how the way to prevent the scams is to institute a 'timed' approach: stay too long between entry & exit, and you'll be assumed to be scamming. Interesting because they won't say how long 'too long' is, so how do we avoid exceeding the threshold when we're on layover, or getting a 34 hr reset? :confused:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Aren't the showers 100% free ? Don't some even have laundry facilities ?

I don't know about laundry, Yes the showers are free..BYT tho....shorepower I think there is a minimum charge...

If you are on a run and need a quick wake me up....it is the cats pajamas. :)

Last edited:

zorry

Veteran Expediter
And,If you apply for a CDL discount card you get 15% off your food. At least it was that way years ago. Ask. The card worked on most tollroads east of the Mississippi.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Some people say it's not right for truckers to cheat the system and at one level I agree. But at another level, it is not right that Ohio (and all other states) has a turnpike in the first place. Tolls do not promote the public good. Highways and byways that can be freely used by all do.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I don't have a problem with toll roads, as they are a convenience that you don't have to use. The problem I have is when any of the toll money is diverted from the maintenance of the toll road itself. When that happens, you are no longer paying for the use of the road, but rather paying for all manner of things in a state in which you may not even reside. It's wrong to use tolls roads as a revenue stream for anything other than the roads themselves. It's wrong for states to intentionally overcharge truckers for that very purpose. It's also wrong to allow the tolling of existing non-toll roads, such as I-95 and I-70.

Kentucky at one time had more miles of toll roads than any other state. Once the bonds that built the road were paid off, the toll booths were removed. All of them. Federal taxes pay for 95% of the maintenance of public highways. Missouri, for example, doesn't need to toll I-70 to get that 5%. State fuel taxes already cover that. They need to toll to get money for the state coffers to be used for other things. And that's wrong.

cranis

Expert Expediter
Driver
Ohio Turnpike moves to curb toll-ticket scam by truckers | cleveland.com

I couldn't find it on Cleveland.com, had to Google it.....Some interesting stuff, mainly about how the way to prevent the scams is to institute a 'timed' approach: stay too long between entry & exit, and you'll be assumed to be scamming. Interesting because they won't say how long 'too long' is, so how do we avoid exceeding the threshold when we're on layover, or getting a 34 hr reset? :confused:
The only way I see it is if you get off at the nearest exit(some are spreadout) and take the 34hr.
I know this would take some brain work to try and find the right exit, but it is time to start using the proper head.
another way would be to keep all reciepts from the rest period and hope they look at them to verify, even a coffee can be good receipts.
Just a thought. !!

bobwg

Expert Expediter
The 2 of the new Ohio service areas that i have stopped in have showers , tv lounge, and laundry not sure if all the new ones have laundry. The showers are free you had to have your own towel,soap etc the laundry I think cost $1 for wash and dryer I washed some clothes but dont remember for sure what the cost was now

Last edited:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
The only way I see it is if you get off at the nearest exit(some are spreadout) and take the 34hr.
I know this would take some brain work to try and find the right exit, but it is time to start using the proper head.
another way would be to keep all reciepts from the rest period and hope they look at them to verify, even a coffee can be good receipts.
Just a thought. !!

Or just ask a gate keeper in person.....

zorry

Veteran Expediter
The fuel island used to sell a shower kit,towel ,soap,and maybe more for less than the cost of a truckstop shower.
Running team I never find that I have to layover on the tollroad so I haven't kept up to date on the amenities.