Ohio CDL Question

chilly

Seasoned Expediter
Im in the process of studying for my cdl. My question is.. do i get the Medical card before or after I take the written and skills test? I would think before but the form ask for my drivers license number and I would not want to put the wrong one in there in case they issue a new number when I get my CDL. Thanks in advance. Chilly

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I believe you answered your own question, there, Chilly - if you don't have a CDL, you don't need the medical card, so get the CDL first, yes? ;)

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
to get your medical card,it isnt necessay for getting your cdl,but you will need a medical to go to work for any carrier,and to get a medical card you will just have to take a comercial dot physical.
which ever company your talking to will have all the papers you wil need

Falligator

Expert Expediter
If you are going to work for Panther they will give you a medical card after your physical. I live in Ohio and I got my hazmat "C" and then went to work for panther. Had to get my background check for hazmat done in Cuyahoga Falls somewhere.

ShawnF
Panther

dabluzman1

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Chilly,
When you get your CDL issued they will use your old DL #.
I would wait until you pass all three test, pre-trip, skills and road test, before taking the physical.
Good luck.
dabluzman
DR4426
Fedex CC WG

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
You have to present your medical card and/or completed long form, as well as an acceptable ID, to the testing clerk in order to take the test for a CDL.

dabluzman1

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
In the State of Ohio you are issued a Temporary CDL that is to be carried on your person while learning to operate certain intra and interstate commercial vehicles.
Besides having the Temp Packet at all times you must be accompanied by a licensed CDL
driver q\who is qualified to operate the class vehicle you are learning on. When you go to test
and after passing all three test you LOSE your Temp and now must go to the State to upgrade your current License to whatever Class CDL you succesufully tested.
You are not allowed to drive back, your instructor or legally licensed CDL companion must now drive you and the vehicle you test on home or DMV to upgrade.
No medical card is required until you are going to begin working. See below:

* You operate a motor vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) or gross combination weight rating (GCWR) or gross vehicle weight (GVW) or gross combination weight (GCW) of 4,536 kilograms (10,001 pounds) or more in interstate commerce.

* You operate a motor vehicle designed or used to transport more than 15 passengers, including the driver, in interstate commerce.

* You operate a motor vehicle designed or used to transport between nine and 15 passengers, for direct compensation, beyond 75 air miles from your regular work-reporting location, in interstate commerce.

* You transport hazardous materials in quantities requiring placards, in interstate commerce.

You must carry a current copy of your medical examination certificate with you when you drive. Residents of Mexico or Canada who drive in the United States can be certified by doctors in their countries, provided they meet the U.S. requirements.

I hope this helps.

dabluzman
DR4426
Fedex CC WG

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Code of Federal Regulations (CFR), Subtitle B, Chapter III (FMCSA, DOT), Part 391, Subpart E, §391.41 Physical Qualifications For Drivers, states:

"(a) A person shall not drive a commercial motor vehicle unless he/she is physically qualified to do so and, except as provided in §391.67, has on his/her person the original, or a photographic copy, of a medical examiner's certificate that he/she is physically qualified to drive a commercial motor vehicle."

It's pretty straight forward. Doesn't matter if you are working or learning, driving on a CDL, a temporary CDL, a learner's permit, or even no license whatsoever, you shall not drive a commercial motor vehicle unless you are physically qualified to do so and have a medical certificate that says so.

DOT guidelines to the states, the departments of motor vehicles and the various county clerks and others who administer the testing is equally as straight forward in that the guidelines simply state that in order to be eligible for a CDL you must have had a physical within the last two years and have a DOT medical certificate confirming the examination. In addition, because of 9/11, first time CDL applicants must also present an approved form of ID, such as a passport, birth certificate or Social Security card (among others), in order to be eligible for a CDL.

Without the proper ID and medical certificate, you aren't eligible for a CDL, and without the medical certificate you certainly aren't eligible to drive a commercial motor vehicle regardless of what kind of license you have while waiting to get your CDL. I don't know how Ohio is doing things, but the guidelines to the states from the DOT say that if you don't have the proper ID and medical certificate, there's no point in testing you if you aren't even eligible for the license.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Like I said, I don't know how Ohio is doing things, but I have read the memo from the DOT that went out to all the states regarding testing and the medical certificate (and the proper ID for first time CDL applicants). It's posted on the wall in the County Clerk's office where I live. When I initially got my temp CDL, and every time I've renewed my CDL since, the first question I've been asked is, "Do you have your DOT physical card?"

Once you have completed your pretrip, off road skills and driving test,
Off road skills?
Wow. Those Ohio school bus drivers must be real badasses.
rollinglaugh.gif

dabluzman1

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I stand corrected, you must have a physical prior to taking any of the skills test, including the off road.
As for all the bus drivers in Ohio being badasses, dont know, I can only vouch for me.
dabluzman
DR4426
Fedex CC WG

letzrockexpress

Veteran Expediter
I'm not disputing any of the above information but I will tell you that I had my class A cdl in my pocket before I ever had my dot card.

Pruittplum

Seasoned Expediter
might as well wait. when you sign on with a company you have to have their medical card, so why pay now only to pay again later?

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
might as well wait. when you sign on with a company you have to have their medical card, so why pay now only to pay again later?
That isn't necessarily true . A company could accept a medical card that is valid but I believe they do have to have a drug test done .

pete222

Seasoned Expediter
I would call DMV And ask. I would hate to see ya get there and be sent home with no CDL I would give them a call CYA GOOD LUCK

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Craz,

That is correct - I have a valid DOT medical card from Fedex and Bolt accepted it with no problem. I did have to do another drug screen though.