Obviously freight rules aren't for everyone!

Streakn1

Veteran Expediter
Ever wonder why some drivers have to adhere to such strick oversized highway rules when others don't? Why do some get heavy fines when others don't for improperly secured or improperly marked loads?

In the photo below is one such load that should have been required to follow the same rules as us, the commercial carriers. But obviously they are not by simply putting a heavy duty P/U truck in front of the trailer.

This was a new piece of equipment being delivered by the place it was purchased from (name on doors of truck). The chute on the passenger side of load clearly extends well beyond the maximum width of 102". This normally would require wide load banners and flags at the very least on a commercial carrier along with an oversized permit. Also note that it is almost dark. The state this was shot in has after dark curfews for oversized loads.

As this truck passed us on our driver's side, the driver almost racked the side of a 10 million dollar engine we were hauling and the side of our sleeper, the whole time appearantly unaware of how close he was with the chute. We saw this several times afterwards as he passed other vehicles. As for the chute, it wasn't even properly secured and was bouncing freely. I'm sure that wasn't good on the equipment.

Attachments

• Illegal Oversized.jpg
    Illegal Oversized.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
For some reason, Andy Rooney's voice popped into my head as I read the first sentence of your post.

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
I'm sure there was a reason why they were starting after dark, such as some states scales are closed after dark. Pickup truck or not, a GCWR above 26000 is still required to have a CDL class A. When you see someone oblivious to load securement or truck handling, it's generally a good indicator that the driver might not even have one.

The world may never know.....

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Was he a local truck doing intrastate? In SD our ranchers interastate on their own rigs..NO CDL and NO wide load signs as for carrying hay and cutting equipment...pretty much wide open rules...as in almost none...

I guess we'll never know...

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Looks like a nice pre trip too (4 lights out).

Did you call the equipment place? If they came that close to scarfing up cargo that valuable (10 mil?...holy S) I'd sure want to vent a bit.

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
chute...not shoot. wonder how if his ins is paid?. suggest forwarding to that states state police with a write up and the photo. license revuing might be in order awa over size permits..

Last edited:

Streakn1

Veteran Expediter
chute...not shoot. wonder how if his ins is paid?. suggest forwarding to that states state police with a write up and the photo. license revuing might be in order awa over size permits..

Thanks for pointing out my spelling error. all shoots have been corrected! LOL

Photos and info fowarded.

Wonder if repairing or replacing one jet engine would have caused the financial demise of this driver's company?

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
Was he a local truck doing intrastate? In SD our ranchers interastate on their own rigs..NO CDL and NO wide load signs as for carrying hay and cutting equipment...pretty much wide open rules...as in almost none...

I guess we'll never know...

Same way in Arkansas even when it comes to farmers hauling grain with Class 8 trucks grossing out at 80,000 lbs. and more. No CDL just a normal Class D license. No DOT number or anything. I've seen high school age kids around 16 or 17 years old running loads of rice to the mill off the farm. I'm not saying it's safe, but that's how it's done. Myself and alot of my friends used to get picked up from school when we we're 16 in the fall to go get in old ragged trucks and haul loads of rice to mill and do it on the weekend to. In the summer we hauled wheat.

Last edited:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thanks for pointing out my spelling error. all shoots have been corrected! LOL

Photos and info fowarded.

Wonder if repairing or replacing one jet engine would have caused the financial demise of this driver's company?

that would be assuming he was illegal in that state..would it not? There is a lot of assumptions going on and no facts...

Oh you forwarded it? Hope it wasn't in SD? It is illegal to impede with the movement of farm equipment during harvest time...Farm equipment has the right of way.

Last edited:

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
pretty much wide open rules...as in almost none...

I think this is common in many states where agriculture is king. Tack on some farm tags to the pickup truck and away you go.

I hauled pulp logs in Minnesota when the gross weight limit was 73,280. Once the ground was frozen we got some kind of agriculture exemption from the state and could gross 80,000 until the spring thaw.

gsmacker

Seasoned Expediter
I imagine almost getting side swiped by that guy was irritating considering the value of your cargo. I drive farm machinery around all summer long (the thing in my avatar) and I've noticed that the worst tailgaters were T/T. I got over and let people pass as much as possible. I'm not sayin this guy shouldn't of been payin better attention, I'm just sayin people as a whole need to learn to share better and be more courtious. As this guy should of been payin better attention to others around him and his equipment Farmers could use a lil slack as I believe they have one of the most dangerous jobs out there. Truckers might bring great stuff but Farmers grow great stuff too

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
Same way in Arkansas even when it comes to farmers hauling grain with Class 8 trucks grossing out at 80,000 lbs. and more. No CDL just a normal Class D license. No DOT number or anything. I've seen high school age kids around 16 or 17 years old running loads of rice to the mill off the farm. I'm not saying it's safe, but that's how it's done. Myself and alot of my friends used to get picked up from school when we we're 16 in the fall to go get in old ragged trucks and haul loads of rice to mill and do it on the weekend to. In the summer we hauled wheat.

Same here in Indiana, used to seeing all types of farm equipment on the roads here and semi's that are ancient and not road worthy at all. To be honest around here I don't know of a cop who would pull over a farm truck or equipment, they can pretty much do what they want.