Now I'm not sure if expediting is the way to go.

sylvester

Expert Expediter
RE: Now I'm not sure if expediting is the way to g

Dang, what a great bunch of replies. Thanks.
Can I ask another question?
Companies like Panther and FedEx have tractor trailers as part of there force. I don't recall hearing from any of them on the forum.
Are they mostly hauling expedited freight, or are they pulling general with being on call for expedited?
The reason I ask is I am seeing other trucking companies out there putting the word expedited on some of there 53'dry vans (CRST is one) and there was a FedEx semi at a Wally World where I know the manager. He said that it was just a general load that was being taken off the truck.
The reason I am asking is class A expediting is an option for us.
Sylvester

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member

I am somewhat acquainted with the Truck Owners that the A Team fired. It has always been my impression that when you leave a position that someone else has hired you for you quit,you do not fire them.I will also not mention their names,but these are good experienced long time expediters. it would be interestering to get their views on why they were fired. Next time I see them I will ask them "Why did the A Team fire you" and I will give their response. If you make negative claims on individuals or for that matter a company they have a right to reply to those claims.

ATeam

Retired Expediter

>The semantics are killing me. I could be wrong in my
>interpretation but it seems 'firing a fleet owner' is just a
>new way of saying resigning just as 'affirmative action' is
>a new way of saying discrimination.
>Leo
>
>Very good comparison.
>
>I do find it strange that someone would rave about their
>owners over the past year. And through their own admission
>indicating they were great at supplying the right equipment,
>countless hours of mentoring someone into the business, only
>to portray them later as a poor fleet owner. Yes, you can
>bet their interpretation of your performance is quite
>different. As I said earlier, I don't think "firing" them is
>how I would characterize it.
>Davekc

There is no inconsistency at all and the semantics are right on. When we first started with our first fleet owners, their performance was spot on. They provided exactly what we needed at that point in our career. They provided good coaching to us newbies and a truck in working order (almost...there were truck problems from the first day, but we overlooked them because the coaching was more important to us).

Over time, (30 to 60 days) the value of that coaching fell to zero because we learned what we needed to know and needed coaching no longer. Also over time, their failure to maintain the trucks they put us in cost us more and more money in lost run time. After a year of substandard fleet owner performance, and with them showing no interest in improving the quality of their services to us (a truck in good running order), we fired them for that reason.

In essence, the contract was they would provide a functioning truck in return for 40% of the gross we generated with the truck. The coaching was not referenced in the contract at all. That was an unpaid extra provied the fleet owners offered at their discretion and in their own best interests. They coached us so we could make more money, which benefited their bottom line. They don't coach people not under contract to them. When the truck(s) we paid for were not kept in working order, that gave us cause to terminate the contract, or to put it more bluntly, to fire them.

We interviewed over two dozen fleet owners before hiring the ones we did. We hired them (entered into a contract) as we would hire any other contractor in any other business, just as we hired a contractor to fix our roof on the house we used to own, or do payroll for a business I used to own. If a contractors' performance falls below acceptable levels, we fire those contractors.

We did not resign. Employees resign. We were not employees. We were not subordinates to the fleet owners. In the eyes of the law, and in our own eyes, we were peers, contracting for mutual beneficial services (us driving, them providing trucks).

Newbies should know, if you are good, fleet owners will compete for your services. When you enter into a contract with a fleet owner, you are not becoming their employee. While they may know more about expediting than you at that beginning, you will know enough to function on your own in relatively short order.

When you sign on with a fleet owner, you are a contractor that is then entitled to certain performance levels from your fleet owner, in return for compensation you provide, as specified in the contract; just as the fleet owner is entitled to certain perfomrance levels from you.

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member

Well if you fired them,it seems like they could fire you.The words are the same,you were not happy with them,perhaps they were not happy with you.It does seem to be somewhat ungratefull on your part,in that a long time experienced expediter took a chance on 2 brand new drivers with absolutely no experience,trusted them to operate THEIR vehicele in a safe manner,trained and mentored you in the finer points of expediting and then you fired them...x(

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter

Hmmm... since you are both business owners, I would think you've "taken your business elsewhere", or "couldn't use them anymore", "you're finding someone who can fill your expediting needs better."

Kinda reminds me of something:
'E's not pinin'! 'E's passed on! This parrot is no more! He has ceased
to be! 'E's expired and gone to meet 'is maker! 'E's a stiff! Bereft
of life, 'e rests in peace! If you hadn't nailed 'im to the perch 'e'd be pushing up the daisies! 'Is metabolic processes are now 'istory! 'E's off the twig! 'E's kicked the bucket, 'e's shuffled off 'is mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisibile!!
THIS IS AN EX-PARROT!!

And now... for something completely different

T-hawk :7 :7

Scuba

Veteran Expediter
Re: Now I'm not sure if expediting is the way to g

It's interesting that you are still drawn to the tractor trailer rut. In looking at the adds for O/O in the trucking publications I realize nothing has changed and they are still offering .86 to 1.00 a mile opportunitys! You might as well go flip burgers at McDonalds. If you wanna go broke in trucking driveing a "Big" rig should do it in 6 months or less. General freight is cheap and plentiful. Specialized transportation is and always will be the"niche" to be in. You wanna make big money in big rigs go to the van lines and start moving electronics, household, exotic cars, you get the point. Or, how about expediting, small truck thats easy to maneuver and quick to load and unload. When I did household, it was common to spend several days doing inventory and loading. I've looked into several trucking opportunitys and worked at most of them and I always enjoyed the people, places and opportunities that expediting offered my wife and myself. It ain't for everyone, it is right for me. I hope you find your niche and never regret your decision. My worst day in expediting was better than my best day in big rig truckingIn hindsight looking back. Drive safe and be profitable!

As a solo tractor driver and have been for my 22 years of driving so i take exception to your going broke statment. I have been an o/o for 4 years and i am doing better then i ever did driving someone elses truck. I get van loads straight truck loads and tractor loads. All at my rate. and i have news for you i wouldnt start my enging for $1.00 last year i did $1.68 for EVERY mile my truck turned. So to say you will go broke in 6 months tells me that who ever told you that just didnt know what they were doing and wouldnt have made it no matter what they drove

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter

Scuba? Aren't you w/ Panther? He wasn't talking expedite, but general OTR in a tractor. Oh and btw, GoodTude dug this one up. It's already a 3 year old thread. Can't believe this one wasn't archived yet.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

It's important to note this is a 2004 thread that was dragged back to the top so take everything in it as over 3 yrs old when contemplating it.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
I totally forgot about the Parrot Skit! OH THE NOSTALGIA!!! :D
Ok... breathe, Larry, breathe.

3+ years and what's changed? Shortages of drivers has turned into a flux of trux. Anyone who is making more this year than last year, while doing fewer miles, is due to fsc going up. Rates have gone down; usually due to "preferred company status", new AND old companies undercutting to get biz, and one company in particular utilizing their CHEAPER divisions in place of their expedite division.

Fact is... to be successful in this biz, you have to be SMARTER than the steering wheel holders of the past. Most dispatchers will not be smart FOR YOU. Anticipating not only freight, but other drivers in your company; being ahead of the game to get out of a bad area; saying no to charitable freight, are all ways to success, as I'm sure there are more.

Newbies take heed! You have a learning curve many don't survive today. Good freight goes to the one who works for it. And the days are past where you can sit #21 on a board, and expect to get out that day. Learn quickly or drown.

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
What is humorous to me, is how similar the poster's concerns sound to what is happening in 01/2008. Same problem, different day.

wallytrucker1

Expert Expediter
HEY....No bad mouthing tractor trailers on here. Talk about a niche, working out real well here at LEAM....YOU guys, think BIG...lol

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
Ive been doing expedite a long time,since I started in expedite, my income has increased every year.The only time this wasnt true,was from 2002 til 2005 when to safety disqualification, i was at Con-Way Now.i came back to fed ex in july 0f 2005,and for 6 months I made over $125000.00.If expedite is on its way out,cant tell by me.2007 was my best year as yet,of course my expenses were higher too,but bottom line,I took more home tis year than ever before.