not so newbie

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Ok guys, when do I get to be a not newbie?? I have been at this a year and I still seem to be making mewbie mistakes. I was told by a "C" reefer guy last week that his team averaged between 6-8 thousand a week this year. I must me newer than I thought I was. I just can't seem to make that much. I must be too new eh? We are making a decent living, having fun, seeing the country and getting to visit people we have not seen in a zillion years or so. So, am I still a newbie or after a year in the biz can I move on to total idiot? Layoutshooter

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
Layoutshooter:

I'm always skeptical when someone says they have an average then give you a spread. I averaged between $30,000 and $100,000 each year since I've been expediting. Would you believe I keep good records and am giving you accurate info when I banty about numbers like that.

Your acquaintance is telling you they are on a pace to earn between $312,000 and $416,000 this year. A magnificent number for the best of C truckers. If you are, as you say, making a decent living, having fun, seeing the country and getting to visit people, then you're doing just fine...keep it up.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Ok, I will then. We have been happy with the way things have been going this first year. We have made mistakes and learning from them. We are working on getting our own truck in the next year or two. Then, who knows, maybe start a small fleet. Might as well dream big.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
>So, am I still a
>newbie or after a year in the biz can I move on to total
>idiot? Layoutshooter

You seem to be doing very well. There's always going to be someone telling you about their unbelievable numbers or some anatomically impossible measurement. Don't worry about them. And to answer your question above, you are well on your way. Make it two years like I have and you can advance to 'total moron' like me. :+

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 4958, 5447
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
312,000 to $416,000? Quite possible with an expediter truck hauling something that isn't expedited frieght. Something illegal will put you at those numbers. That is where the millionaire trucker posts are coming from.
Those numbers are possible for a given week, but a long way from an average. Look at all the Fedex owners looking for white glove drivers in the EO classifieds. That should answer your question.

Davekc
owner
21 years
PantherII
EO moderator

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
WOW, only one more year to make total moron? That must be when I by my truck. LOL Layoutshooter

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
8,000 average per week, it is impossible. 7x24= 168 hours. Average 50mph, add in fuel, PU, PODs, showers, and eating HOS rules says you must take 34 hours off after 70 hours of driving, thus team must shut down for at least 20-24 hours before restart. Teams may be better to answer this than I can.

Just be cautious as the Bull one brags about, now 6,000 average, maybee in a big truck but in our industry than again put that into the Bull catagory. Your doing fine, enjoy yourself make a living and what more can one ask for. Some are so $ hungry that all else goes out the window except the Ego. And I highly doubt anyone could ever average those numbers and to try to reach for a # like that is Pie in the Sky.