Noob with a company driver question.

jeff82z28

Active Expediter
Hi guys, Ive been lurking around for a while trying to learn what I can about expediting as a career change. Taking your advice, ive looked for a company driver job to start out with, just to see if its for me.

My question is, as a company driver they said my pay would be a % of the total take of the truck/ or loads.

26%. What does this mean to me in the real world ? Is it ok compensation for a noob, or am I getting the bone ?

The gig is mine if I want it. They just called me and told me to get back to them in a day or so.

No touch freight, fuel/bridge cards, cell phone, I can take the truck home between runs. Weekends off unless I want to work.

Help a noob. Opinions ? Its a smaller local co, been around for 20 years.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Ok... this sounds like local courier or maybe a local air freight job, but thats just a guess on my part..But it certainly isn't expedite if you are home every night and off weekends....To see if Expediting is for you, you need to live out here on the road for a few weeks at a time..eat out of your truck and WAIT for the next load....sitting and waiting are just 2 of the bigger issues that you need to deal with.

Don't get me wrong, what you would be is a job, and thats all good...but from what you described, you won't learn much about expediting....

As to the 26%, if it were a "expediting job", id turn it down in a heartbeat...

jeff82z28

Active Expediter
I appreciate your opinion ChefDennis. You work for one of the best in the business. Regardless of the job description, is the twenty six percent ok to start for a company driver with no experience?
Im just driving their truck. Ive had my az for over 2 years but havent "had" to use it. Gotta start somewhere. They asked me to get my Fast, I applied for it today. My "benefits" are about to run out.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
You know Jeff... id never tell any man to turn work down....there is more to the need to work that then just money. So..there is alot that needs to be taken into consideration..Some you have hit on. But, have they told you how much the truck averages a week in gross income? What are the projections for the truck? is it a dedicated run with all pre-planned and loaded stops? What are they basing the 26% on? 26% of what???? Gross? Net after expenses? Are they paying you as an employee and paying SS and income taxes? Are you a "contract 1099" worker? And just how much do YOU NEED to make each week?

Those are all questiones that need to be asked before anyone can tell you if that # is any good for the position you described...as i said, for expediting, it is not a good deal, but you aren't expediting....

Last edited:

jeff82z28

Active Expediter
Its of the gross. They are paying as an employee with all our cdn deductions and bennies after 90 days. They move mostly auto parts it seems. Can be as far as toyota indiana, to honda alliston ontario and everywhere in between. Further if you want it, but I think thats more reserved for the O/Os. Theres only a few Co Trucks. Im near Windsor Ont. Hope that helps. Thats all I have for now. I can ask more questions at the next meeting.

Last edited:

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Ok it is of the gross before any deduction of fuel and tolls and everything else...so again, 26% of what? What did the truck gross last quarter and what are te written projections of the truck this qter and for the yr? With that info, you can then decide if you want to or can work for that amount.

Ultimately it is your decision to make..none of us are in your financial position and we all have different wants and needs...and again, there is more to working and providing then just money....

jeff82z28

Active Expediter
Thanks Chefdennis. I will ask those questions at the next "meeting".
Youve been very helpful. Ive tried the search and havent come up with much for company driver stuff.

This is how I understood it. Lets use round #s to make it easier... If the truck makes 500 for the load, my take is around 130 before taxes/ deductions. Multiply that by all "loads" during the week.
Fuel / tolls and that stuff didnt seem to be in the equation- but I will definetly double check and ask ! If so, then I might as well stay at home.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
I spose by now that you realize that you should have, maybe, gotten off you're az and typed some things BEFORE your "benefits" were running out? Eh? This occupation is not for the folks with an employee mentality....ie. "what's in it for me only". Regardless, seems to me inyour situation(not furnishing anything but thr shirt on your back) the industry standard as a contractor would be 40% of gross.....as an employee it would be at that rate minus all normal deductions.

jeff82z28

Active Expediter
I spose by now that you realize that you should have, maybe, gotten off you're az and typed some things BEFORE your "benefits" were running out? Eh? This occupation is not for the folks with an employee mentality....ie. "what's in it for me only". Regardless, seems to me inyour situation(not furnishing anything but thr shirt on your back) the industry standard as a contractor would be 40% of gross.....as an employee it would be at that rate minus all normal deductions.

Well, I guess I could have done that but I really wasnt planning to go out and drive truck. Some other plans fell through, and now I may have to take advantage of that AZ (cdl) i went and got a couple years back. Nice of you to hack on me though x06col.
Ive asked these questions to learn, in the correct forum, after many searches for more info. As some of you can tell Ive read the forums trying to learn, thats why Im not in MY OWN truck and looking to drive someone elses.
If they would have told me $15 dollars an hour- that Id understand.
26% of the trucks revenue- I dont understand, thats why the thread was started.
To ask someone who does !
I dont know about you but I work for money -not the fun of it.
I have bills to pay and a family to support.

I do appreciate your 40% - deductions. Over here 26 % seems about right.

Again- I will ask more at the next meet.
They are all gonna make it sound good.

Last edited:

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Jeff, I wondered on to EO's Canadian site and seen a "Jeff" that posted over there also. Not the same name, but kinda the same questions...over their a member named Scottm answered about working doing "crossdock"....That scottm is also a member here, you might send him a PM and chat with him, He can be a wealth of information for you as he lives in canada also and runs down here.

You can gain alot of info from him, and he is a good guy for the most part...:D

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Jeff: one reason you may not be getting much help here is that [with few exceptions] expediters are not company drivers. We're independent contractors, responsible for our own taxes, benefits, etc, so factoring those into the mix makes a big difference in gross vs net income.
Can the company show convincing numbers for what their other vehicles average? I don't see any red flags, but I'd want to see some evidence that they can deliver on their promises - recruiters have been known to 'shade the truth', and prospective drivers have also been known to see what they want to see, too.

fastrod

Expert Expediter
Ok... this sounds like local courier or maybe a local air freight job, but thats just a guess on my part..But it certainly isn't expedite if you are home every night and off weekends.

I have been expediting since 2000, with my own authority since 2006 and I rarely spend more than 1 night away from home. Its also very rare for me to be gone on weekends. Dont know where you got the idea you have to be gone from home for weeks at a time to be expediting but its completely wrong.

jeff82z28

Active Expediter
OK guys, thanks for the replies. I have another meeting with the "boss" later this week. I will see what I can find out. Its definetley expedite. Its an expedite truck, tandems/ sleeper/24 ft box. Most freight is emergency too. Maybe its my location that helps stay close to home.

rezagrats

Active Expediter
Good point, hard to turn down work the way things go these days. Next best scenario might be a gig with salary and miles. Food for thought!

jeff82z28

Active Expediter
Thanks for the help guys. Im gonna give it a go part time to see if I like it. Now, if I can just finish up this fast card process....