Non CDL Truck Question

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I think that many professional drivers take advantage of seminars and classes at a truck show.
Rutherford's CCC seems to fill up.
Early in my career I attended a government sponsored 2 day log book course that was aimed towards management.
Scheduling and costs associated with time off probably keep many away.
On line courses are getting more popular, but there has to be a ROI. Whose going to drop a bunch of money to have someone tell them what they already know.

the fly in the ointment right there.....what they THINK they know....is that knowledge currant and factual? or truck stop gossup and or second hand news?.....there is not a more knowledgeable person out there then a driver, on current events, government issues, sports and the price of the buffet at Golden corral...LOL

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
If it's business or tech you want to learn more about, there's a lot available, including EO's contributions [I mean the official ones, lol]. But for hands on, practical stuff, improving or sharpening the skills that could mean avoiding a crash, we're pretty much on our own. We could be doing nothing more than reinforcing bad habits, ya know?

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Roadway spent the money to have people from the Smith System come out for hands on training.
We drove a car and discussed what we learned. I used my turn signals in a shopping center and the instructor told me it wasn't necessary
I decided he was a jerk, but the class was very good.
I think it was part of our triples certification. .

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
If it's business or tech you want to learn more about, there's a lot available, including EO's contributions [I mean the official ones, lol]. But for hands on, practical stuff, improving or sharpening the skills that could mean avoiding a crash, we're pretty much on our own. We could be doing nothing more than reinforcing bad habits, ya know?

I am quite sure somewhere out there are instructors for hire....that could do a 360 in a 53 footer and keep it straight....

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
The NSC 'training courses' are simply vids & PowerPoint presentations, [maybe workbooks with tests, too], but they don't offer 'hands on' training or practice.
When I first took Drivers Ed in high School [for you youngsters: it once was a part of the curriculum!] we had simulators that allowed us to make some horrendous errors without harming anyone or anything.
I'd love to have one simulate losing traction [hydroplaning, black ice], blowout of a steer tire, sudden total brake failure, sudden appearance of pedestrian in road, etc. It's a safe and effective learning tool, why is it no longer used? :confused:

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Cost. Some larger carriers have simulators.
I believe Schneider does skid pad training at a community college near Green Bay. It's like being on ice.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Cost? What would it cost if a truck [or van!] lost control and crashed into a school bus [full of orphans going to serve dinner to the homeless]?

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I am quite sure somewhere out there are instructors for hire....that could do a 360 in a 53 footer and keep it straight....

We used to do 'donuts' in snowy parking lots for practice, [and in the middle of intersections for laughs], but I can't imagine doing it in a T/T! A S/T, maybe.....

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
This is somewhat in the original question vein. If a Cargo van\ Sprinter\ Terra max or what ever is a one ton or a dually AND the Manufactures door sticker say's it has a GVW over 10,001 lbs. Does the O\O need to log even if she\he has no intention of carrying any where near that weight.

sirgregory46

Expert Expediter
Cost. Some larger carriers have simulators.
I believe Schneider does skid pad training at a community college near Green Bay. It's like being on ice.

No it is at their yard near the school. They have had it a long time.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using EO Forums mobile app

runrunner

Veteran Expediter
This is somewhat in the original question vein. If a Cargo van\ Sprinter\ Terra max or what ever is a one ton or a dually AND the Manufactures door sticker say's it has a GVW over 10,001 lbs. Does the O\O need to log even if she\he has no intention of carrying any where near that weight.

Yes, regulations are based on the GVWR,not driver intentions.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Yes, regulations are based on the GVWR,not driver intentions.
Just for completeness, the regs are also based on actual weight. Meaning, if the GVWR sticker on the door says 9,999 pounds, that's not a CMV, but if you overload the truck so that it now actually weighs 10,002 pounds, it's a CMV and requires logging and stuff.

So if it's a 26,000 truck, which doesn't require a CDL, if you go overweight, it requires a CDL.