Canada no more canada loads for me!!!

hondaking38

Veteran Expediter
well i took the plunge and am now going to get 2 cents less a mile by not going into canada anymore!!! last week i had 8 load offers, 5 were to canada,the problem with canada was i was making only half the money or profit, because as far or deep i went into canada, thats how far i deadheaded back out, essentiall getting paid for half the miles i was driving, out of the 18 months i have been expediting in a sprinter i have been to canada 75 times and have had 2 loads come out of canada...it seems they were saving the canadian runs just for me...many panther drivers told me if you want to make money dont go to canada... friday i signed the new contract, and buy sat morning a had a load offer from grand rapids to princeton, indiana with a great fuel surcharge, plus got a layover paid, while at home, so far it seems to be a winning situation, but time will tell, ive been passed over of some bigger load offers recently so i could take or someone could take a canadian load..also its nice going thru canadian customs, they treat you with respect, however coming back to the states is where the crapp starts, i show them my drivers licence, military i.d. plus my passport, and they still make ya feel like a terrorist....however my dad told me years ago as i was growing up, that if you give a gun to a nobody, for that 8 hour shift it makes them feel like a god because they have the power behind them... so far it has shown to be true...

Prarysun

Seasoned Expediter
>well i took the plunge and am now going to get 2 cents less
>a mile by not going into canada anymore!!! last week i had
>8 load offers, 5 were to canada,the problem with canada was
>i was making only half the money or profit, because as far
>or deep i went into canada, thats how far i deadheaded back
>out, essentiall getting paid for half the miles i was
>driving, out of the 18 months i have been expediting in a
>sprinter i have been to canada 75 times and have had 2 loads
>come out of canada...it seems they were saving the canadian
>runs just for me...many panther drivers told me if you want
>to make money dont go to canada... friday i signed the new
>contract, and buy sat morning a had a load offer from grand
>rapids to princeton, indiana with a great fuel surcharge,
>plus got a layover paid, while at home, so far it seems to
>be a winning situation, but time will tell, ive been
>passed over of some bigger load offers recently so i could
>take or someone could take a canadian load..also its nice
>going thru canadian customs, they treat you with respect,
>however coming back to the states is where the crapp starts,
>i show them my drivers licence, military i.d. plus my
>passport, and they still make ya feel like a
>terrorist....however my dad told me years ago as i was
>growing up, that if you give a gun to a nobody, for that 8
>hour shift it makes them feel like a god because they have
>the power behind them... so far it has shown to be true...
Hi there, I too no longer go to Canada after over 10 yrs of going up there, seems when you do go sooner or later you get on the Canada merry go round and cannot get off. You are right, many loads in, few loads out. I only took a suspension for now. My comment to you is and I could be wrong, but where in your contract does it state you must go to Canada and if you do not you must renew your contract at a lower rate per mile? Hmmmmm I wonder. Before I do the permanent thing I will check with my lawyer and see if that is the case. Good Luck. :+

mcbride

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
What is distressing about Panther with regard to Canadian loads is the actual procedures they use to dispatch them.

If you are ABLE/ALLOWED to go to Canada and refuse a Canadian dispatch you go to bottom of list, regardless.

If you are able to go to Canada, you are number one, and the others on the list are not allowed, they will dispatch the Canadian load to you out of turn even if another non-Canadian load comes up first because the other can’t go to Canada. Their reasoning: cover the load for the customer.

We just experienced this while in Ohio. We are a team. Panther offered us two loads going into Canada. One load offer had us dead head 90 miles for a 278 mile load going into Canada and the other load offer 36 miles dead head for 290 miles into Canada. Why were we offered these loads? Because others around us could not go to Canada. However, we were not offered the good long team loads out of the area, (or even the short state side loads for that matter,) because we weren’t number one on the list. However, at the rate we were going we were NEVER going to be number one on any list because we turned down the crappy Canadian loads. A vicious circle for us and consequently it became the final straw for us with Panther.

With regard to the merry-go-round effect: we have good friends that are currently on the merry-go-round. They have been to Canada for almost 50% of their loads since starting with Panther.

-mcbride-
--What goes around comes around--

Prarysun

Seasoned Expediter
>What is distressing about Panther with regard to Canadian
>loads is the actual procedures they use to dispatch them.
>
>If you are ABLE/ALLOWED to go to Canada and refuse a
>Canadian dispatch you go to bottom of list, regardless.
>
>If you are able to go to Canada, you are number one, and the
>others on the list are not allowed, they will dispatch the
>Canadian load to you out of turn even if another
>non-Canadian load comes up first because the other can’t
>go to Canada. Their reasoning: cover the load for the
>customer.
>
>We just experienced this while in Ohio. We are a team.
>Panther offered us two loads going into Canada. One load
>offer had us dead head 90 miles for a 278 mile load going
>into Canada and the other load offer 36 miles dead head for
>290 miles into Canada. Why were we offered these loads?
>Because others around us could not go to Canada. However,
>we were not offered the good long team loads out of the
>area, (or even the short state side loads for that matter,)
>because we weren’t number one on the list. However, at
>the rate we were going we were NEVER going to be number one
>on any list because we turned down the crappy Canadian
>loads. A vicious circle for us and consequently it became
>the final straw for us with Panther.
>
>With regard to the merry-go-round effect: we have good
>friends that are currently on the merry-go-round. They have
>been to Canada for almost 50% of their loads since starting
>with Panther.
>
>
>-mcbride-
>--What goes around comes around
I agree, and am about to embark in another straight truck. I think I will stay off the Canada list and see what happens. The straw that broke the camels back was being offered 5 loads in a row, the same as you out of Ohio. The worst one was go 138 miles to Livonia MI to take it 135 miles into Canada....HELLO!!!! And I am sure they are wondering why that was so bad..... My percentage plummeted from the high 90's in acceptance to 79 in one fell swoop for turning down 4 Canadian loads...but now that I am not going in, I have had two very decent loads, one I had to deadhead 700 miles out of NE and will not accept another one there on a thur. but when I got back to IA I got another decent load. So the 150 in fuel hurt but the next load was worth the pain. Good luck to you. Get a Canada suspension and see if you do better for awhile. I imagine the more people start doing this they will take a look at the problems involved and may make a few changes for the better. Not to mention upgrading and educating the dispatchers on Canada procedure....I cannot tell you how many times I have had to straighten out bad info regarding Canada, luckily I had a great teacher in Canadian procedures, FECC, They aren't perfect, but they sure know Canadian procedures.

mcbride

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Exp-

I am glad you came to some sort of solution for your Canadian dilemma with regard to Panther. We, on the other hand, felt this, as well as other issues, were going to continue as a never ending battle for us. We decided we would be better off to go else where.

We have been expediting for about 7 years or so and at this stage of the game just do not want to negotiate with Panther about, what in our view, are, nonsensical practices.

No company/carrier has all the answers; no carrier/company is going to be a perfect match for each of us; and no company/carrier will ever put the owner operator/drivers interest first above their own. This is a fact and just business in the real world. However, we as business owners, have to do what is in the best interest of our own businesses by trying to fit within the realm of one of these carriers that is out here or establish our own authority, which we have absolutely no desire to do. LOL

Good luck to you, Exp!

-mcbride-

jwgmover

Expert Expediter
>No company/carrier has all the answers; no carrier/company
>is going to be a perfect match for each of us; and no
>company/carrier will ever put the owner operator/drivers
>interest first above their own. This is a fact and just
>business in the real world. However, we as business owners,
>have to do what is in the best interest of our own
>businesses by trying to fit within the realm of one of these
>carriers that is out here or establish our own authority,
>which we have absolutely no desire to do.

I second that Great statement!!!! [http://www.v-rodforums.com/forums/images/smilies/soapbox.gif]

lisalewis

Seasoned Expediter
We've had horrible luck going in and out of Canada. Once we got to customs at the Canadian border and they said we had to go and see our broker, no shock because this happened almost everytime. So we parked the truck and started on the half mile hike to the broker. To make a long story short we were rejected entry into Canada and sent back, 30 miles to the nearest truck stop to sit for 2 days. They finally realized that we were given the wrong broker! Another time coming back into the states they literaly pulled my husband out of the truck thinking he was a wanted felon! His name set of an alarm within their computer system, that took a while to straighten out. And how many numbers do we have to call to get the right fax number???

God Bless the USA

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I will try to help you.
We fax everything from the customer only. Then we call the broker to confirm they have it, their name, and everything is legible.
No exceptions. If they can't fax it, their load doesn't leave the dock. Never do this stuff after you leave the shipper. You just created a possibility of screwing yourself.
As for sitting two days? It would never happen unless they are paying. It would have to go to a transfer station.
My answer to it sitting on our truck for nothing for days would be most unpleasant for all involved.
Again, that will never happen.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

Prarysun

Seasoned Expediter
McBride, best of luck to you in your endeavors! I fully agree with you and am looking into other companies myself. Negotiating things that should be policy or standardized is now a daily game and gets tiring. I do not like jumping companies but gave just two co's 10 yrs total so it's time. Take care!:+

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
A carrier that is concerned about retaining the good o/os & drivers, would address the drivers' concerns, not penalize them for refusing to put the carrier's best interests ahead of their own. It seems to me that many of the terms of the contracts are enough to justify calling o/o employees, rather than independent contractors.

mcbride

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Exp-

Thanks for the well wishes. We are very happy with our recent decision. The irony of it is we both realized just today how much stress we felt we were under before the move. We both commented to one another on how we felt like a big weight had been lifted from our shoulders.

Please don't hestitate to contact us if you want to privately discuss "matters" further. lol

-mcbride-

greg334

Veteran Expediter
YES YES YES, the less people who want to go to Canada will only mean more work for those who don't mind it - like me. Your refusal to run a Canadian load will push up the amount of money that some of us will get when the shippers have no choice but to use a carrier that has the ablility to get the item(s) into or out of Canada. YES!

I have had more than one occasion where I was faced with problems getting back into the states and I have had my share of messing up in Canada (they are much more forgiving) but so what. I lived through it, even had to deal with walking 2 miles in 5 degree weather to the brokers on the Canadian side because the shipper missed the disposible totes. I also know some of the games customs plays and don't play them. I have a professional attitude when I arrive at the booth, answer their questions without hesitation (if I don't know, I tell them I don't know), don't smart off (you will be surprised at the amount of people who are smarta**es with custom officers) and have everything in my hand before I stop the truck. Use my FAST card going into Canada and only my passport when arriving back into the states with the $5.

Listen to davekc, put the responsiblity on the shipper. Remember they are resposible for that shippment until you drive away than you are and you have little control over things once you pull away. I fax the paperwork and if they don't have a fax (had this happen once) I tell them I will return for the shippment after I get the paperwork faxed - it does not get near my truck until I am SATIFIED with the paperwork. another point is that it may not be 2/4/10/12 hours or even 2 days that you are stuck, you may have to turn around and go back tothe shipper which means paying for bridge tolls and customs fees (going into the US) again. I have had one shipper in Canada who seems to think that I have a crystal ball and know what is on the paperwork before I get it. Then this shipper forgets who the broker is and thier fax number - they just don't like any expediter.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
>even had to deal with
>walking 2 miles in 5 degree weather to the brokers on the
>Canadian side

Well, that's enough to dispel any silly thoughts of going to Canada.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5507, 5508, 5509
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

DannyD

Veteran Expediter
Greg,

That's just it. If you want to deal w/ that & make a few more dollars, that's great. Not everyone feels that way though. I'm of the opinion that I'd rather have less hassles for a delivery & if I make a few less dollars, so be it.

There's no right or wrong here. Not that ya were sayin there was. Only what works out best for each individual. As owner/operators, people should be given the choice if they wanna go thru all the hassles.

I for one would gladly let ya take every Canada run. I don't feel drivers should be penalized for not going to Canada. Maybe they should be rewarded for going. Like a Premium for Canada runs added to the freight charges. I'm not sure of what the best solution would be, but I do feel to be penalized for not going there isn't right.

Be safe,
Danny

ps: Like a lot of drivers feel, my challenge isn't going TO Canada. It's coming back to the US.

RobA

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
>
> I have a professional attitude when I arrive at
>the booth, answer their questions without hesitation (if I
>don't know, I tell them I don't know), don't smart off (you
>will be surprised at the amount of people who are smarta**es
>with custom officers) and have everything in my hand before
>I stop the truck.

Hugely important....be a professional; be polite; don't try and hisde anything. Those people are doing their job.

>Listen to davekc, put the responsiblity on the shipper.
>Remember they are resposible for that shippment until you
>drive away than you are and you have little control over
>things once you pull away. I fax the paperwork and if they
>don't have a fax (had this happen once) I tell them I will
>return for the shippment after I get the paperwork faxed -
>it does not get near my truck until I am SATIFIED with the
>paperwork. another point is that it may not be 2/4/10/12
>hours or even 2 days that you are stuck, you may have to
>turn around and go back tothe shipper which means paying for
>bridge tolls and customs fees (going into the US) again. I
>have had one shipper in Canada who seems to think that I
>have a crystal ball and know what is on the paperwork before
>I get it. Then this shipper forgets who the broker is and
>thier fax number - they just don't like any expediter.

This is all excellent advise. Just don't grab the shipment and drive away like it is just another shipment. Have an idea what's in the load and...very important...how many pieces and what weight. Make sure that agrees with the shipping documents. Don't let the shipper throw something extra on at the last minute unless it is documented.
Make sure you go to the proper bridge. Don't fax to the office in Windsor and then go to the Blue Water Bridge. It isn't difficult to come to Canada if you have an idea of what to do. If you don't know...ask your carrier; they will get the penalty if you do something wrong.

RobA

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
>We've had horrible luck going in and out of Canada. Once we
>got to customs at the Canadian border and they said we had
>to go and see our broker, no shock because this happened
>almost everytime. So we parked the truck and started on the
>half mile hike to the broker. To make a long story short we
>were rejected entry into Canada and sent back, 30 miles to
>the nearest truck stop to sit for 2 days. They finally
>realized that we were given the wrong broker! Another time
>coming back into the states they literaly pulled my husband
>out of the truck thinking he was a wanted felon! His name
>set of an alarm within their computer system, that took a
>while to straighten out. And how many numbers do we have to
>call to get the right fax number???
>
>God Bless the USA

Lisa; you sound like you are unprepared to cross an international border.
Always know who the broker is and what their phone number is.
The shipper must be able to provide you with that information; if they can't don't leave until someone gives you the information.
Brokers don't have unlisted numbers after all.
Don't let a carrier tell you it will be all sorted out when you get to the border. If there are any issues stop in the USA and sort them out; it's easier than getting screwed up at the border.
If you always or often have to go to the broker then you are doing something wrong.

Prarysun

Seasoned Expediter
This is all great information. But first things first. The carrier has the responsibility to give the driver accurate information about the broker, the fax and phone numbers, the border of preference in some cases etc etc. If armed with the correct info without having to ask, wait sometimes for a very long time to get the information, this all adds to the frustration of the driver(s) and scares them away from even wanting to go to Canada. I agree, Canada is far more polite to deal with at the border than is the US our own country!
But if you want people to feel confident at the border, give them acccurate information, provide quick help when they are on the load, and accept responsibility as a company and train your dispatchers or have a competently trained Canada Rep on all shifts to handle problems and questions. And a bonus for going into Canada would be nice rather than being penalized for not going. I am not sure you can legally reduce the cpm for not going but intend to find out...;-) OH almost forgot Cell minutes are killer up there! By the time you add all the taxes etc, it's nearly a buck a minute! So have a competent Canada rep who will answer on the QC quickly! lol

"DOES ANYBODY REALLY KNOW WHAT TIME IT IS?"

greg334

Veteran Expediter
FIrst Leo the amount of money I made on that run was too good not to take it and walk.

DannyD, Yea the challege is the entry back into the US. a lot of people just hate the customs officers asking them where were you born, etc... I sat one day in line when they pull a trucker out of the truck for being a real ##### about things. the first thing that the customs officer said to me was not to be a tell him to go to h*ll and explained the whole thing why I had to wait for 45 minutes.

Exp10yrs, I disagree with you - the carrier is not the one who neds to provide this information it is the shipper or reciever of that shipment (a third party in some cases) It is your carriers job to take the information from these parties and give it to you. If the responibility to setup the broker was FedEx's when the order was placed, I think that we would be using FedEx trade networks all the time.

Prarysun

Seasoned Expediter
>FIrst Leo the amount of money I made on that run was too
>good not to take it and walk.
>
>DannyD, Yea the challege is the entry back into the US. a
>lot of people just hate the customs officers asking them
>where were you born, etc... I sat one day in line when they
>pull a trucker out of the truck for being a real ##### about
>things. the first thing that the customs officer said to me
>was not to be a tell him to go to h*ll and explained the
>whole thing why I had to wait for 45 minutes.
>
>Exp10yrs, I disagree with you - the carrier is not the one
>who neds to provide this information it is the shipper or
>reciever of that shipment (a third party in some cases) It
>is your carriers job to take the information from these
>parties and give it to you. If the responibility to setup
>the broker was FedEx's when the order was placed, I think
>that we would be using FedEx trade networks all the time.

Gregg, you said it is the carriers job to take the info from the shipper or third party, well that is exactly what I said, no matter where the info originates, the carrier has the responsibility to straighten all of that out BEFORE you get the load offer, then be available during the load to help when necessary. Granted the info may come from the shipper or consg. or a third party, I have had to do alot of footwork for the carrier and use cell min up in Canada and often have had to track down the correct broker, all of this should be cleared up and ready for the drivers. I see you are with FECC, I doubt you have too many problems with Canada, they have some VERY competent Canadian dispatchers, and is where I learned all of my Canadian info. It certainly came in handy down the road.
Karma, be careful how you use it.....:)