no love from the tractor trailer

rodeojunkie

Seasoned Expediter
I decided to take some time off the road...kids were graduating, grand daughter being born...all kinds of reasons. After 21 years of driving I figured I could use a break. Now I'm thinking about going back...go figure!

rodeojunkie

Seasoned Expediter
@Dynamite1... at the time I had the only class 8 dual axle straight truck there and I was capable of carrying 24,000# in the box so I got alot of tractor trailer runs that were less than truckload. If the dispatch needed 10 pallets at 20k moved they could either send 2 smaller straights to get it or send me. I also got alot of the long runs cause I was willing to stay out...my record was 14 weeks without being back in Michigan so I liked to keep moving.

DEMOLITION

Active Expediter
Ps. If you park in the back, make sure the nose of your straight truck is in line with other noses. Please. Once you are hit you will understand why. We had the drivers side taken out in a pilot Christmas Eve because I had parked about three feet back because I could in a straight truck.

Sent from my ADR6400L using EO Forums

I look before I back, What if there was a hole in the ground?

BigCat

Expert Expediter
I look before I back, What if there was a hole in the ground?

Most drivers do but there a drivers who don't. And a lot of times straight trucks back all the way up and when looking in the mirror shooting for the hole you don't see them.

Mayfield Express

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

guido4475

Not a Member
I think some of them do it because some straight truck drivers have no real training. I know some tractor trailers do not either, lol, but there are straight truck drivers who just got a cdl b real quick and don't have the first clue about driving professionally. I think that a tractor trailer definitely has more work to do than a straight truck and it does take more skill than driving a straight truck. I think if some straight trucks were more considerate and parked in spots that were obviously hard for a tractor trailer to get and used some more professional driving attitudes we would get more respect. You can't think it takes the same skill sets to drive a Hino with a 22 foot box versus a fully loaded tractor trailer can you? There are unprofessional, unskilled drivers in every class and I think we should all work together but unfortunately that probably won't ever happen. I think sometimes they just get irritated at our ease of getting in spots, getting loaded or unloaded quicker while they are sitting and waiting, etc...

To tell you the truth, I really think it has to do with financial jealousy.I am sure a lot of them know we make a lot more money than they do, with half the truck. I got it mostly from truckload carriers, not really semi expeditors.And, a lot of times, I have had alot of them come up to me while I was in either my 10 wheeler or van. Wanting to know about what I do, pay, etc,.I know they have the power to change, but some are caught in a spiders web of a bad lease-purchase, etc.And, take a look at the rates they are offered by companies in the back of the trucking magazines.Absolutely pitiful.Everything has gone up, except the drivers pay.A lot of emotions running wild.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
To tell you the truth, I really think it has to do with financial jealousy.I am sure a lot of them know we make a lot more money than they do, with half the truck. I got it mostly from truckload carriers, not really semi expeditors.And, a lot of times, I have had alot of them come up to me while I was in either my 10 wheeler or van. Wanting to know about what I do, pay, etc,.I know they have the power to change, but some are caught in a spiders web of a bad lease-purchase, etc.And, take a look at the rates they are offered by companies in the back of the trucking magazines.Absolutely pitiful.Everything has gone up, except the drivers pay.A lot of emotions running wild.

I guess the pay issue depends on the TT company you are with and the type of freight. I haven't seen many ST doing better than TT but you certainly can do very well in a ST.

Sent from my ADR6400L using EO Forums