No Happy Meals for The Kids...

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
In NYC...yea the same city that the Health Dept decided what the people that work there could eat at their meetings....:rolleyes:

Government Food Police Part II: NYC Could Soon Ban ‘Happy Meals’

Posted on April 6, 2011 at 2:38pm
Food Police Part II: NYC Could Soon Ban ‘Happy Meals’ | The Blaze

Yesterday we reported that the NYC Health Department banned fried food from work meals. Now, the city’s healthy food crusade could soon claim its next victim: Happy Meals.

Councilman Leroy Comrie — who is an admittedly large man — is expected to introduce legislation today that would essentially eliminate the fast food staple and others like it. And if restaurants don’t comply, the penalty could be stiff — up to $2,500:

WCBS reports:

The bill would require establishments that offer toys with food make sure the meals are 500 calories or less and have low fat and low sodium totals.

Penalties would be steep: between $200 to $2,500 for repeat restaurant offenders who use toys to sell unhealthy meals.

Comrie said fast food restaurants know exactly what they’re doing.

“It comes as no surprise that these ads and meals are also targeted in low income and minority neighborhoods that are already at risk for childhood obesity. These are the same communities that have limited access to supermarkets, limited access to healthy food options,” Comrie said.

The ban wouldn’t be new — San Francisco has already outlawed the tiny meals.

McDonald‘s responded to Comrie’s proposal by saying its Happy Meals allow families choice, and that food decisions should be left up to customers, not politicians:

“Our Happy Meals make it easier for families to choose the right foods in portions just for kids. We provide options for our customers and trust them to make the decisions that are right for their families. Politicians should too.”

“There is, of course, no evidence that any of these regulations changes the way Americans eat,” Julie Gunlock writes over at NRO. “But this hasn’t stopped Comrie’s campaign against toys — which he calls ‘predatory marketing techniques.’”

“I guess it’s going to take some outraged parents to finally call off the food police.”

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Yep, home of the free! :rolleyes: We should be ASHAMED for ever allowing government to get this far out of control. :mad:

The Enemy

Veteran Expediter
Its not the happy meals making the little tykes fat. Its the parents feeding the the happy meals day inn and day out and allowing their kids to stay inside and play video games and watch tv instead of sending them outside to run around and play. I remember growing up, we weren't allowed to be in the house as long as it wasn't raining outside, we had to go play outside. In the winter time we would be gone for hours, scouring the neighborhoods, trying to make money shoveling snow.

My other thing is a fat doctor who smokes, telling me I'm leading an unhealthy lifestyle, **** hypocrytes.

bobwg

Expert Expediter
Its not the happy meals making the little tykes fat. Its the parents feeding the the happy meals day inn and day out and allowing their kids to stay inside and play video games and watch tv instead of sending them outside to run around and play. I remember growing up, we weren't allowed to be in the house as long as it wasn't raining outside, we had to go play outside. In the winter time we would be gone for hours, scouring the neighborhoods, trying to make money shoveling snow.

My other thing is a fat doctor who smokes, telling me I'm leading an unhealthy lifestyle, **** hypocrytes.

either making money or having snowball fights or going to the local ice rink

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Its not the happy meals making the little tykes fat. Its the parents feeding the the happy meals day inn and day out
Is what I think: if parents are making [mostly] good choices, why has the rate of childhood obesity jumped from 17% in 2006 to 32% in 2008? Several reasons, most of which revolve around diet and exercise. Parents are giving the kids what they want to eat, because it's easier, [both the preparation and the battles], and what kids want to eat is nutritional crap. Even at home, it's hot dogs, chicken fingers, fries, mac & cheese. Tell them they need a veg or fruit with their meal and they look at you like you just sprouted a second head. :eek:
And don't even get me started on the obscenity of cereal made for and marketed to toddlers & preschoolers - the mfrs of those are no better than pedophiles. :mad:
and allowing their kids to stay inside and play video games and watch tv instead of sending them outside to run around and play. I remember growing up, we weren't allowed to be in the house as long as it wasn't raining outside, we had to go play outside. In the winter time we would be gone for hours, scouring the neighborhoods, trying to make money shoveling snow.
Even if every kid is lucky enough to grow up in a place that has safe outdoor play areas, [not the middle of the street], it's a whole different wold today. Video games can be a positive factor, though, with the Wii & Kinect, that get kids to be active, and television [for the little ones] is even educational these days.
No one, including kids, has to spend every minute getting exercise and eat healthy food every meal, but the increase in childhood obesity says parents need some help with the issue. [Or a swift kick for being lazy, if that's the case, and sometimes, it is.]

Which is why the Health Dept won't feed its' employees unhealthy food at meetings - nobody likes [or listens to] a hypocrite.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Raising kids is HARD WORK!! Easy is NOT an option. Once parents decide to take on the RESPONSIBILITY of children they should live up to it. That includes feeding them good food without giving into the "fights". Kids will only get away with what they are allowed to get away with.

Parents need to be home with their kids. AT LEAST one parent should be home at all times.

Kids need ROOM to play OUTSIDE. That too is the responsibility of the parents. A kid who makes it to adulthood without a few stitches or a broken bone or two was not raised right. Kids NEED to learn what they can do. They MUST challenge themselves. Climbing higher, jumping further etc. That is how they build confidence.

The problem with todays kids IS the parents. Children need to be TAUGHT. They are born kinda blank. It takes a MASSIVE full time effort.

As to the times being different, that too is the fault of parents. The parents have ALLOWED the neighborhoods to go down hill. All it takes is parents to sit on the porch in the summer, watching the kids play.

Invest time in your kids, volunteer for scout or 4H leadership roles. Teach them to DO things, not just sit and stare at a screen.

If a person is NOT WILLING to do all of the above, DON'T HAVE KIDS!!

There is NO need for the government to get involved, do your job, OR, don't take it on. It is called PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY!

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
layoutshooter;433059 Kids need ROOM to play OUTSIDE. That too is the responsibility of the parents. A kid who makes it to adulthood without a few stitches or a broken bone or two was not raised right. Kids NEED to learn what they can do. They MUST challenge themselves. Climbing higher said:
I guess I should call my two grown daughters and apologize for not raising them right, as neither suffered broken bones or stitches [or even the usual illnesses, really].
Amazingly, they turned out pretty good anyway. Both are bright, confident, responsible, employed, independent, and HAPPY.
Just a lucky fluke, I guess. :rolleyes:

[/FONT]

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
layoutshooter;433059 Kids need ROOM to play OUTSIDE. That too is the responsibility of the parents. A kid who makes it to adulthood without a few stitches or a broken bone or two was not raised right. Kids NEED to learn what they can do. They MUST challenge themselves. Climbing higher said:
I guess I should call my two grown daughters and apologize for not raising them right, as neither suffered broken bones or stitches [or even the usual illnesses, really].
Amazingly, they turned out pretty good anyway. Both are bright, confident, responsible, employed, independent, and HAPPY.
Just a lucky fluke, I guess. :rolleyes:

[/FONT]

Cherrii, you know what I meant. I have little doubt that you did NOT baby your kids. I have no doubt that you encouraged them to expand their horizons. What is your problem with me? Don't like my hair color or something? By the way, that part about broken bones and stitches was NOT mine, it is paraphrased, I THINK Dr. Spock said it, not sure about that.

The point was that kids SHOULD be outside as much as possible. They SHOULD be pushing the envelope. They should NOT be "protected" from every possibility of bumps, scrapes, cuts and even a broken bone. The more things like that kids face growing up the more they can handle when life gets tough.

When we were growing up in my neighborhood we had to be dragged in kicking and screaming when the street lights came on. There were VERY FEW fat kids. They ate home cooked meals for the most part and played off what they ate.

Kids are FAT because parents allow them to get that way.

As I am always being told, don't take everything so personal.

Last edited:

matlack

Expert Expediter

Reposting due to Missing Image.

kidswithgas.jpg

picture.php

Disclaimer; No noses were offended during the taking of this photo and only the facts have been changed to protect the truth.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Cherrii, you know what I meant.
I think so: that the way your parents raised you, and you raised your kids, is the way it should be. There is no other way, and parents who disagree or can't do it that way are unfit. I think otherwise: parents [even a solo, as I was for years], can only do the best they know how, [which makes education important] in their own circumstances. If they're lucky, it works - good parents can end up with 'bad' kids, and vice versa.
The same parents can raise six kids, and one will end up in prison, while the rest are law abiding and a credit to the community - we've all seen that.
I have little doubt that you did NOT baby your kids. I have no doubt that you encouraged them to expand their horizons. What is your problem with me?
My problem is reading the statements you make, which sound as if you didn't read or understand much of what you read [my words or an article], because your replies are just off the wall. And often exactly the same comments you make every time on the subjects of politicians, responsibility, freedom, etc.
Partly, it's me: I have little tolerance for repetition [why I dislike 'classes' and dropped out of high school], but it does get tiresome, reading the same old same old, ok?
Don't like my hair color or something?
By the way, that part about broken bones and stitches was NOT mine, it is paraphrased, I THINK Dr. Spock said it, not sure about that.
I haven't read the good Dr's stuff in a loooong time, but I don't recall him saying anything like that - broken bones and stitches may be part of childhood, but they are a part to be avoided, if possible.
The point was that kids SHOULD be outside as much as possible. They SHOULD be pushing the envelope. They should NOT be "protected" from every possibility of bumps, scrapes, cuts and even a broken bone. The more things like that kids face growing up the more they can handle when life gets tough.

When we were growing up in my neighborhood we had to be dragged in kicking and screaming when the street lights came on. There were VERY FEW fat kids. They ate home cooked meals for the most part and played off what they ate.
Same here - but we are talking about what IS, not what was, and it's a different world for a lot of today's kids. [Not all, though.]

Kids are FAT because parents allow them to get that way.
Mostly, yes. But simply condemning the parents isn't going to change life for the kids - the parents need education [if they don't know better] and help in battling the easy way out - which is what is meant by banning toys in unhealthy Happy Meals: making them less attractive, so kids won't demand them so much. It's a start, at least.
Now, if they'd just ban the breakfast cereal killers!

As I am always being told, don't take everything so personal.
If my personal experience refutes a statement [as with the one about broken bones and stitches] then I include it. Otherwise, I do try to stay on point, responding to the issue with what [I hope are] relevant observations. And I try to limit how many times I say the same thing, so as not to bore anyone, especially myself. :D

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
If my personal experience refutes a statement [as with the one about broken bones and stitches] then I include it. Otherwise, I do try to stay on point, responding to the issue with what [I hope are] relevant observations. And I try to limit how many times I say the same thing, so as not to bore anyone, especially myself. :D

I don't mean to be arguing with you. Not my intention. I did NOT mean that my way was the only way. I, however, in NO way want the Federal government, or ANY government interfering with what I eat or don't.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Hey Cheri1122, I found the "Dr. Spoke" quote. It was buried in another article. I cut that short paragraph out and posted a link to it below. I added the "broken bones" part. I had boys. They require more "rough stuff"

"The renowned pediatrician Dr. Spock said that a child who has not been bandaged has not been well loved. Part of being a parent is the very difficult job of watching our children struggle. It is an act of love that we are able to do this, and in the process we make sure that our children develop a healthy sense of self—the ability to be independent, capable, and connected to others."

Privilege: How Materialism Hurts Our Kids | Tikkun Magazine

clcooper

Expert Expediter
i believe that as soon as the child is born . that the government takes the child and raises them in a military type of environment . or what ever the government believes is the best for the child . be able to brain wash the child to believe what the government whets the child to believe. that way there will be only one type of religion .they will be the weight that the government believes they should be . the only hear the music that the government believes they should hear . really they should just make them clone troopers . train them to be slaves . to only be a number . so if they die it will be oh well next number .

both of you are right . but neither one are right . nit picking each other because one will not believe in everything the other one will . your way is the best way and nobody else can , could do it better then you . one of you says a word and the other one focuses on that one word not with every thing that was said .
just like if there is misspelled words allot focus more on that miss spelled word then what he/she said . i am glad the worried about misspelled word . because been may of never signed that piece of paper because he had a pet peeve for misspelled words . and if he was like that what would you not have today . if you are mad at me for what i just said guess what you have a problem . if you understand what i said guess what you are not the type that worries about how the words are spelled or used . you worry more about what they are saying with the misspelled words

so what does freedom mean to you. that you can control what others do . or is it being able to do what you want to your self
.why do you think freedom of speech was put in the constution .

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Hey Cheri1122, I found the "Dr. Spoke" quote. It was buried in another article. I cut that short paragraph out and posted a link to it below. I added the "broken bones" part. I had boys. They require more "rough stuff"

"The renowned pediatrician Dr. Spock said that a child who has not been bandaged has not been well loved. Part of being a parent is the very difficult job of watching our children struggle. It is an act of love that we are able to do this, and in the process we make sure that our children develop a healthy sense of self—the ability to be independent, capable, and connected to others."

Privilege: How Materialism Hurts Our Kids | Tikkun Magazine
Um, there's a pretty big difference between "bandaged" [implying cuts & scrapes] and broken bones and stitches, I think. Had you used the actual quote in the first place, I'd have agreed, as my kids got bandaged as much as anyone's.
[Little girls may look like delicate flowers, but they are not, trust me. When I offered to give my 5 yr old a patch of garden to grow whatever she liked, she chose worms, because she liked them.]:rolleyes:

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Um, there's a pretty big difference between "bandaged" [implying cuts & scrapes] and broken bones and stitches, I think. Had you used the actual quote in the first place, I'd have agreed, as my kids got bandaged as much as anyone's.
[Little girls may look like delicate flowers, but they are not, trust me. When I offered to give my 5 yr old a patch of garden to grow whatever she liked, she chose worms, because she liked them.]:rolleyes:

Worms?? COOL!!

I knew VERY few kids that I grew up with who did NOT break at least one bone. It was expected. I mean, we climbed trees, got swings going as high as we could and then jumped off them. We also learned that you could swing a swing high enough to go around the top of the swing set. It you missed you landed on your head. Jumped off bridges into the river. Jumped the "wakes" of passing ore freighters in small boats or on water skis. Played tackle football on concrete. Play ice hockey WITHOUT pads. And on it went. I was somehow spared most broken bones, just one finger. I did have SEVERAL concussions!! I guess that makes up for the lack of broken bones, eh? :p There were NO girls that even TRIED to keep up with us. Just how it was. WE LIVED!!

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
i believe that as soon as the child is born . that the government takes the child and raises them in a military type of environment . or what ever the government believes is the best for the child . be able to brain wash the child to believe what the government whets the child to believe. that way there will be only one type of religion .they will be the weight that the government believes they should be . the only hear the music that the government believes they should hear . really they should just make them clone troopers . train them to be slaves . to only be a number . so if they die it will be oh well next number .

both of you are right . but neither one are right . nit picking each other because one will not believe in everything the other one will . your way is the best way and nobody else can , could do it better then you . one of you says a word and the other one focuses on that one word not with every thing that was said .
just like if there is misspelled words allot focus more on that miss spelled word then what he/she said . i am glad the worried about misspelled word . because been may of never signed that piece of paper because he had a pet peeve for misspelled words . and if he was like that what would you not have today . if you are mad at me for what i just said guess what you have a problem . if you understand what i said guess what you are not the type that worries about how the words are spelled or used . you worry more about what they are saying with the misspelled words
We try not to get too hung up on spelling, grammar, and punctuation, but [you had to know there'd be a 'but'] if we can't figure out what your meaning is, you're just wasting your time and ours.
It's exactly like filling out an application for employment: if it isn't readable, it won't be considered, period.
Sorry if it sounds harsh, but it's just how it is.

so what does freedom mean to you. that you can control what others do . or is it being able to do what you want to your self
.why do you think freedom of speech was put in the constution .
Huh?:confused: